Hardware 3ds red/majoras mask shell swap results

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys, i posted earlier about swapping the shells for my new 3ds, sadly the blue n3ds xl was stolen off my porch, on a brighter note my GF bought me the majoras mask n3ds! so the MMLE had hinge play side to side so i decided to shell swap with my original red console!

here are some pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

if you guys want i'll post pics of my black/red n3ds.

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool that it's personalized but does make me cringe since it's such a beautiful LE. Cool mod.

i really did it because the MM consoles hinge was fucked out of the box(moves side to side a lot) and nintendo won't replace repaired console with the same type. so if you send in a broken MMLE or MHLE you'll probably get a red or black updated console.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
i have that as a result of this!

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

6b.jpg
Sweet! I like this one much better :D looks really really good!

How hard was it to perform the mod?
i really did it because the MM consoles hinge was fucked out of the box(moves side to side a lot) and nintendo won't replace repaired console with the same type. so if you send in a broken MMLE or MHLE you'll probably get a red or black updated console.
I have that issue with my black n3DS, but not really planning on sending it to Ninty, don't really mind too much tbh, even though I'm usually very picky about these thing. Also wanna stay at 9.0.x.

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet! I like this one much better :D looks really really good!

How hard was it to perform the mod?

super simple, take out the blocks over the 4 screws on the inside of top screen(you can see them in the second set of pics) press along the top half of hinge to unlock the pressure tabs and the top back will pop right off. swap the tops and snap them back into place. the bottoms are just battery covers so anyone can do it.

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

They didn't want to replace it because it's normal. It has already been confirmed nintendo built the new 3ds with hinge play from left to right about 1mm. Of the 30-35 iv seen all have the hinge movment and nintendo has even said if yours doesn't have the movment then yours is defective, as the movment was done so it's less likely to break the new 3ds XL hinge as the regular xl hinges were prone to breaking on the right side where the led is. The screen doesn't move unless u physically move it, there is a thread on nintendo life and not one person posted saying there hinge doesn't move.

Personally I would of kept the Majoras mask console as is, you ruined it's value and look imo, but hey different strokes for different folks.

Just be very careful as your hinge is more likely to break now without the 1mm movment.

It's not like it's flopping left and right without touching it, I thought it was a problem at first but it's not, personally if I was you I would reassemble it back to normal.

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They didn't want to replace it because it's normal. It has already been confirmed nintendo built the new 3ds with hinge play from left to right about 1mm. Of the 30-35 iv seen all have the hinge movment and nintendo has even said if yours doesn't have the movment then yours is defective, as the movment was done so it's less likely to break the new 3ds XL hinge as the regular xl hinges were prone to breaking on the right side where the led is. The screen doesn't move unless u move it, there is a thread on nintendo life and not one person posted saying there hinge doesn't move.

Personally I would of kept the Majoras mask console as is, you ruined it's value and look imo, but hey different strokes for different folks.

Just be very careful as your hinge is more likely to break now without the 1mm movment.

there is still movement on the red about .8mm, but the black was SLIDING when tilted even slightly 2-2.4mm. also i don't plan on reselling the MMLE console because it was a gift.

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there is still movement on the red, but the black was SLIDING when tilted even slightly. also i don't plan on reselling the MMLE console because it was a gift.

Well then yeah it was defective, but if you told nintendo it moves from left to right without touching they would of replaced it but they would of updated your console but as you are using sky it wouldn't of mattered. I still would of just got it replaced or returned the red one get black then do the swap, the red is way to off putting on a gold console not to mention red has nothing to do with majora's mask.

The red/black looks great tho.

omgcat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then yeah it was defective, but if you told nintendo it moves from left to right without touching they would of replaced it but they would of updated your console but as you are using sky it wouldn't of mattered. I still would of just got it replaced or returned the red one get black then do the swap, the red is way to off putting on a gold console not to mention red has nothing to do with majora's mask.

The red/black looks great tho.

i personally like the red/gold combo, makes me think of the light arrows and the red jewel in the stone tower :P. but yeah if nintendo inverted the plates colors so it was gold accents on black main color it would look great.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My console does that as well. Only like 1mm each way though, the rest of the console seems to be pretty solid though.

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My console does that as well. Only like 1mm each way though, the rest of the console seems to be pretty solid though.

If it doesn't move during normal use then it's normal. If it's loose and moves on its own very easily without touching it then it's not normal, but I'm sure it's the normal one and you shouldn't worry.

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
About the hinge movement, even though all n3ds XL might have it, it can differ quite a bit how much per console. I have 2 MMLE and the one i have in use has a very loose hinge, i sometimes move the screen when pressing the shoulderbuttons making a klacking noise as it hits the other side, and that feels really awfull, it can even move up and down on the left side, its THAT loose. The other one (that i plan on reselling) has a nice hinge, veri slight play but not really movable, its open and close movement also feels smoother, less loose.

The big dilemma i'm facing is this, the one with the loose hinge has a much brighter cooler screen temperature, especially on its bottom screen, its like it has an extra brightness setting compared to the other. I love the screen everything seems a tad bit sharper, but i hate the hinge.. i'm still not sure if i'll system transfer and sell the one i'm currently using. only other downside is I will loose one pre-installed game on 1 console.:unsure:

i also dont really wanna swap shells..

i'm curious, which one would you guys personally pick?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Holy shit that was insane. Guy has a screw loose but looks like he's a professional artist. I think he's both making a statement to Nintendo on the MM release fiasco and also doing something with his profession, even if it does mean destroying something a lot of people wanted lol

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Holy shit that was insane. Guy has a screw loose but looks like he's a professional artist. I think he's both making a statement to Nintendo on the MM release fiasco and also doing something with his profession, even if it does mean destroying something a lot of people wanted lol
but no, tbh he is like 10 years too late for the "destroy *insert something people want*" party....that got boring fast, yeah smash my xbox, smash my ps3, smash my psp, smash my ipod, smash my ipad blah blah blah.......if he really is a artist he isn't a good one, he needs to use attention seeking tactics of youtube kids

imho it looks more like some religious based shit stirring....aka he's a dickhead

seriously whats the MM 3ds got to do with Christmas, it wasn't released till February :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr