fout21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi There,

I'm searching for a 3ds emulator. I can not imagine there's still none. Does anyone know a good emulator?

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's still no 360 or PS3 emulators that play retail games properly...
And it's unlikely there ever will be, considering there is such a huge difference between a CELL SPU and an x86 processor. Any chip emulation would require an immensely powerful PC to run at full speed.

It's quite likely we will see an Xbox One and PS4 emulator long before that, if ever, since they are running on x86 consumer PC hardware. Hell, we might even end up being able to just decompile the games to run on the PC.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'd all love to see one, wouldn't we, Jackie? Yes we would. And while you're at it, could you PLEASE make a emulator for the DS? I've been dying to play Phoenix Wright; just can't get enough of it. :(

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny that he was so sure there was one. I'd hate to be him when my world is crushed after finding out there isn't one :(

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait till he hears we're running out of chocolate and no.... there's no emulator for it :D

M8R3sFq.gif

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
It's quite likely we will see an Xbox One and PS4 emulator long before that, if ever, since they are running on x86 consumer PC hardware. Hell, we might even end up being able to just decompile the games to run on the PC.

Still no XBOX1 emulator that runs games at full speed despite that being a 733mhz celeron with a GeForce2, but yeah I get where you're coming from.

Reactions: pelago

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And it's unlikely there ever will be, considering there is such a huge difference between a CELL SPU and an x86 processor. Any chip emulation would require an immensely powerful PC to run at full speed.

It's never safe to say "this will never exist" - people thought Sega Saturn emulation will never progress from 2 FPS due to the incredibly convoluted architecture... and it has, with SSF which now practically offers full speed emulation. Sure, it will require a beast of a PC to emulate the PS3 or the 360, but that doesn't mean we won't have sufficient enough PC's in, say, 20 years time.

As for "decompiling games" for the XBox One and the PS4, I direct your attention to the emulators of the x86-based XBox - judging by those, it's not as easy as it sounds (although with the XBox it's mostly a matter of severe lack of interest and an unconventional approach towards emulating the platform (or rather interpreting the software, to be entirely correct) by developers, but I digress).

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is NO 3DS emulator, and their won't be for a while. Don't go downloading from those shady websites that claim to have a survey free, full speed 3DS Emu. It DOES have surveys (or malware) and does NOT do shit.

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's never safe to say "this will never exist" - people thought Sega Saturn emulation will never progress from 2 FPS due to the incredibly convoluted architecture... and it has, with SSF which now practically offers full speed emulation. Sure, it will require a beast of a PC to emulate the PS3 or the 360, but that doesn't mean we won't have sufficient enough PC's in, say, 20 years time.

As for "decompiling games" for the XBox One and the PS4, I direct your attention to the emulators of the x86-based XBox - judging by those, it's not as easy as it sounds (although with the XBox it's mostly a matter of severe lack of interest and an unconventional approach towards emulating the platform (or rather interpreting the software, to be entirely correct) by developers, but I digress).

The processor isn't the issue though - It's the gpu and sound chip. The gpu is a custom design with little documentation on in, so it's a pain in the ass to emulate it.

Processor emulation is hard though, but compared to the rather undocumented NV2a and Soundstorm? It's a walk in the park.

Speaking on Emulators, I'm still waiting for a WiiU emulator.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The processor isn't the issue though - It's the gpu and sound chip. The gpu is a custom design with little documentation on in, so it's a pain in the ass to emulate it.

Processor emulation is hard though, but compared to the rather undocumented NV2a and Soundstorm? It's a walk in the park.

just wait 14 years :)

Reactions: mthrnite

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Pretty much every console in the past has been customized to a large extent and originally had little documentation to go by, these things take time and I don't think that contemporary systems or the XBox are in any way exceptions. They will be emulated eventually just like every other machine worth emulating was in the past.

Reactions: Rydian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: +1