Hardware 3DS Overheat!

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's not unusual for electronics to be warm/hot to the touch, especially when doing graphical or cpu intensive tasks. As long as it isn't hot enough that you can't keep touching the same area for few seconds there isn't anything to worry about.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Chances are, that is probably where the wi-fi card and such is. I know my PSP can get pretty warm on the left side when I'm surfing the internet for awhile on my PSP. It wouldn't surprise me if other devices that utilize wi-fi had a similar problem. It isn't even really a problem though, more like a pointless worry.

If you can hold it without your hand melting, there isn't a problem.

NoOneDies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BadBloke said:
"Some heat" has nothing to do with "overheat".

^ This

It's common for electronic devices to warm up, overheat is when it gets a very high temperature so it can't work properly / causes the system to reboot.

D

Deleted User

heartgold said:
Mine gets extremely hot while I'm charging and playing at the same time.
Really? Mine doesn't do that :s, however when I charge and play I get wavy lines whenever grays are being shown.

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heat is nothing to be worried about. They most likely stress tested the system to ensure in the most intensive conditions it wouldn't over heat and most computer systems anymore contain measures to ensure they don't fry their hardware from overheating (i.e. powering off automatically when hardware reaches dangerous temperatures).

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
The way the 3Ds sucks up battery, it's no surprise it can get a little warm (I've noticed it too).
However, it gets nowhere near hot enough to cause any concern whatsoever.

Actually it has been proven recently: If you leave a device (such as a smartphone) against your skin long enough even when it's just a little warm, it can cause a tumor.

*just my too cents. No one is stupid enough to leave there warm device directly against there skin after usage. The odds of a tumor forming are very slim

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
chartube12 said:
Snailface said:
The way the 3Ds sucks up battery, it's no surprise it can get a little warm (I've noticed it too).

Actually it has been proven recently: If you leave a device (such as a smartphone) against your skin long enough even when it's just a little warm, it can cause a tumor.

*just my too cents. No one is stupid enough to leave there warm device directly against there skin after usage. The odds of a tumor forming are very slim
everything causes tumors. living causes tumors. so i wouldnt worry about it toomuch.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why thats funny! I got about 9 tumors last week and also got terminal cancer. Looks like im gonna need the Vitamin C again
smile.gif

But anyway all devices heat up because their so thin (with out mirco chips your 3DS should be the size of a suitcase.) and everything is being run at a moderate pace your going to have a bit of heat. just try not to us it while charging, the battery tends to explode when you do that :U

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chartube12 said:
Snailface said:

Is that a fact?
ohmy.gif

All right, I've decided I'm gonna start wearing gloves when gaming on the 3DS and picking up my phone!
wink.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems I heard somewhere that it's a gene in your body that allows cancer to happen. Some people have the gene and some don't.

Anyway, I would say that the 3DS getting slightly warm is normal, but if it gets extremely hot, as someone said theirs does when playing and charging, then I would kinda worry about that. Especially if it gets warm to the point of being uncomfortable to the touch. I highly doubt that is something Ninty ever intended to happen.

Shonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dicamarques said:
btw does anyone noticed the notification LED to be turned on in a really smooth green?? Go to a dark room and look at it.
i'll upload a pic later.
Try checking your notifications?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Real Jdbye yeah those are great too