pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey guys,
i just want to ask if it is safer to play online with a private header or install the game as cia on the 3DS. I wasn't really active last months and maybe something new came out. My last status is that there are no reports from users being banned by using private headers online.

Thank you in advance! :)

D

Deleted User

Private headers are safe, because since they're private, nobody else will have the same header as you. The way public headers cause people to be banned from using the internet is that Nintendo's servers detect two people using the same header while connected to the internet, and bans you and that other person from using internet communications.
I think I've heard that *.CIAs can cause you to brick your system if they are installed incorrectly, but *.CIAs don't need headers.

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've heard that *.CIAs can cause you to brick your system if they are installed incorrectly, but *.CIAs don't need headers.
.Cias can only brick your system if you are playing with .cias relate to your system (internet browser, home menu etc.). Also .cia still use headers, but they use your systems headers (IIRC)

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Private headers are safe, because since they're private, nobody else will have the same header as you. The way public headers cause people to be banned from using the internet is that Nintendo's servers detect two people using the same header while connected to the internet, and bans you and that other person from using internet communications.
Ok thank you! It seems nothing has changed and i can use my old private header ^^

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,
i just want to ask if it is safer to play online with a private header or install the game as cia on the 3DS. I wasn't really active last months and maybe something new came out. My last status is that there are no reports from users being banned by using private headers online.

Thank you in advance! :)
Both should be fine but an argument has been made that a private header is safer because with cia Nintendo could cross reference you eshop history and determine you don't own the game. There are no reports of this happening as of yet, it is all just theoretical. Nothing is 100% safe.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As long as you're using a private header I would argue that .3ds is safer, since Nintendo knows your eShop purchase history and can easily detect when you're playing a .CIA that's not linked to your eShop account. Not to mention not all games are even available on the eShop.

Edit: :ninja:

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
We can't honestly tell for sure if one is safer than the other. While Nintendo might be able to tell if you own the game by cross referencing it... For all we know they can also tell that a header you ripped is used on multiple games or that it doesn't come from the game it's being used on. For all we know Nintendo can't do EITHER of those things. Or don't care enough to do anything about it.

For that reason, I am all .cia baby. The files are smaller so you can fit more... You don't need to have your Gateway card in while playing (which apparently drains the battery faster), and it's all right there on your system nice and pretty.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If one really wanted to be Evil they could buy a new game, rip the header and game, then malfunction the card by touching a couple of 120V leads to the contacts. Return the card as defective getting an exchange copy and the sell it on eBay for a small loss.

That would be a Dark Side move and is probably not worth the hassle but fun to think about.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
We can't honestly tell for sure if one is safer than the other. While Nintendo might be able to tell if you own the game by cross referencing it... For all we know they can also tell that a header you ripped is used on multiple games or that it doesn't come from the game it's being used on. For all we know Nintendo can't do EITHER of those things. Or don't care enough to do anything about it.

For that reason, I am all .cia baby. The files are smaller so you can fit more... You don't need to have your Gateway card in while playing (which apparently drains the battery faster), and it's all right there on your system nice and pretty.
Ummm, i dont like to install the games as cia, since it takes the home menu longer to boot. Also im too lazy to convert my .3ds files to .cia files XD

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have a micro SD 64 GB (for gateway) and a normal SD card with 32 GB (in the 3DS). There are so many rumors like nintendo can see that you use a different header for a different game or nintendo can detect that you didn't bought the game from eShop, if you installed it as .cia file. Im confused X.X

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Ummm, i dont like to install the games as cia, since it takes the home menu longer to boot. Also im too lazy to convert my .3ds files to .cia files XD
I don't think it takes much longer to boot... If anything it takes an extra second or two to load the icons. I have at least 12 .cia games last I checked and it runs fine for me.

easy. there's only few titles available for multiplayer games. install that as CIA.
The rest use as 3ds.
His concern is if .cia is more risky. In that case he would be better off playing those with private headers. (But realistically, both work just as well.)

I have a micro SD 64 GB (for gateway) and a normal SD card with 32 GB (in the 3DS). There are so many rumors like nintendo can see that you use a different header for a different game or nintendo can detect that you didn't bought the game from eShop, if you installed it as .cia file. Im confused X.X
And they're all rumors homie. We don't know for sure and even if we go the next 5 years without anybody being banned for running .cia/private headers exclusively we still won't know. So for now, just pick which one you prefer with the knowledge that we don't know everything but it seems safe at the moment.

I look at it like this:

People have been banned using .3ds files

no ones been banned using cia files
No. They've been banned using .3dz files or using Sky3DS with the public template.

pLaYeR, if you like using your .3dz roms with private headers, keep on doing that. Only make the switch if you actually want to. But we can't properly tell you it's safer (just in most of our opinions, more convenient.)

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
@Ericzander
Thank you man! Thats what i wanted to know. I prefer to use .3DZ files and private headers and won't change to .cia until we know bans of people who used private headers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hello