.3ds or .cia : wich one is better?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by puss2puss, Aug 24, 2018.

1. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    hello angels and demons from the temp!
    i was wondering, between the formats .3ds and .cia, is there a difference in quality or ban risk?

if i have some ''.3ds'' backups, should i convert them into cias or its better to just redownload them in cia format?

and just to be sure, its still safe to play online with cias installed on cfw, right?

2. Hunter

Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    .3ds can only be used on cartridges,
    .cia are installable

both have a risk of being banned, it doesnt matter what route you take,
    but if you dont cheat online etc you'll be save

puss2puss likes this.
  3. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    yeah that part i kinda figured haha..
    do you know if there is any quality loss when converting them into cia? or is it better to download the same games, but as cias directly instead of converting them?

4. Hunter

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    there is no difference really, so it does not matter what way you do it, just having your console hacked in anyway sends a signal to nintendo, it's just how you act with it that is the risk

5. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    oh but i mean the quality.. like, stability of the game, loading times, i was wondering if the quality is better in one or the other :P
    Thanks for your replies, know i atleast feel safe of going online haha.. i dont cheat and most of the games i bought them so i can retreive the header if needed..anyway, i think on the Banning side everything should be fine since, as you said, its more about how we use the console when online.

when using cias, do i need to inject my own headers in them or this check isnt made with cias ?

6. Hunter

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    with using cia's from the cdn, or converted from .3ds, you do not need any header at all, as it uses your 3ds console id as a header that is unique to your console :)

puss2puss likes this.
  7. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    ah i see, thanks!
    so, if i get a cia from that iso site, i might need to inject my own header since multiple people will have the same game copy, correct?

8. Hunter

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    wrong, the console will use it's own header when you run a installed game

puss2puss likes this.
  9. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    ahhh! thanks a lot for the info, it all makes sense to me now :)
    S
    mall detail, if i mod the cia or if i get a cia that isnt 'legit' , will it still use my console's header?

10. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    They both run risks of being banned, true, but if you use a .3DS file you have to take the extra step of altering the game image's private header for any title that you can play online that you'll wanna play online. Having to do that extra step on top of the fact that you needlessly need to purchase a 3DS flashcard to use .3DS files has always led me to the answer that ultimately .cias are "better," they can install right on your 3DS with no flashcard and require no altering to the header to play games online.

zacchi4k, hiten and puss2puss like this.
  11. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
    What do we need to convert .3ds roms into .cia but .cia which supports official updates from eshop, not just to be able to play them?

12. Hunter

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    Leobgood and puss2puss like this.
  13. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    Germany
  14. Hunter

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    even the PC tools still require the 3DS to convert xorpads, you can search the forums for the tools to do it

15. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Not really, with Simple 3DS to CIA converter can also convert them with just an ARM9 bootrom dump

16. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    i'm a little confused about something.. i read a little bit about decrypted/encrypted cias, and xorpads stuff..
    ..if someone uses a cia downloaded from that evil iso site, is it ready to install on the cfw with fbi? or is there something to do with xorpads or encryption?

17. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    yes it's ready to install

puss2puss likes this.
  18. puss2puss
    OP

puss2puss ♻ThinkGreen♻

Dec 18, 2013
    Canada
    thanks mate :)
    have a good friday guys & gals!
    later.

19. Exannor

Exannor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    What do you mean by having the risk of being banned no matter what route the person takes? I understand the cheating part although some games just don't care anymore such as maro kart 7 from what I have heard and if you stay offline as much as you can, turn off spotpass/streetpass, hide titles then you should be fine as well.

20. upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2015
    United States
    3DS files are nice if you don't want to clutter your home menu with games that you're just trying out or don't plan on playing very much, or if you don't feel like waiting for a CIA to install which can take a long time for larger games. CIA are free to install though, so if you don't have a flashcart I would just go with CIA and CFW, unless you have money to burn and are an extremely impatient person.

nccom and zacchi4k like this.