3DS Not Immune to Long Loading Times

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Feb 1, 2011.

Feb 1, 2011
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]
    Cartridges are considered the superior media format in handhelds. One reason being a longer battery life due to the lack of moving parts in comparison to disk-based media. That part at least still remains true. The other reason in the past has been superior loading times over disk media. However, a closer inspection of some new 3DS games appears to potentially debunk the latter statement. Two games were recently shown off in playable form at a gaming convention, Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D and Ridge Racer 3D. Video evidence points towards possible longer loading times for 3DS games. Ridge Racer 3D shows 12 seconds of loading time for the course, Mercenaries 3D has 15 seconds of loading for the level. It is possible however that these loading times are only present in the demo builds and won't be present in the final game. It is common practice to use early work in progress builds for conventions. It's not always a true indication of what the final version will be like. It remains to be seen whether this will affect the majority of 3DS games. On the other hand, it may just be poor coding in general. There were a few regular DS games that had loading times, of which didn't even use the largest of cartridges (Call of Duty series for instance). Of course, it should also be noted that as flash-based cartridge media increases in size, the transfer rate does indeed gets slower. This may just be a natural result of Nintendo's adoption of larger capacity cartridges. [/p]
    Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D-
    Ridge Racer 3D-
    [​IMG] Source

2. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    One word - shit.

3. Genowing

Newcomer Genowing Advanced Member

United States
    Still Trumps load times for Disk based systems

4. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Considering that DS cards having memory capacities greater than 64MB tended to be 25% slower with regards to transfer speeds, I could see having a 2GB card being much slower. Or.....this is a result of dynamic AP protection to any data being sent to the 3DS. /shrug

5. granville
    OP

United States
    You know what the weird thing about the "greater than 64MB = 25% slower loading" thing is? I've actually played DS games on 128-256-512 megabytes that had faster loading that games 64MB or smaller. A lot of it has to do with proper coding and optimization it seems.

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    12 - 15 secs? Big deal! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    PSP ridge racer umd loads a course in 12.2 secs
    so yeah, doesnt really trump it at all

8. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    ok this is dumb, first off I would assume it has allot to do with the developer of the game and how big the game is in size. So these videos mean nothing on top of the fact that those games aren't even done yet!

9. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    True. With data being organized, having to access a bunch of data without a whole lot of jumping from one sector to another is one way to increase transfer speeds. Even having duplicate data that are small but organized in such a manner to match with separate groups is one also if you have the space available, imo.

10. granville
    OP

United States
    I'm sure the games are technically finished. They are apparently launch games, and the 3DS is being released in Japan in February. There's no proof either way whether the demo builds are based off the final version or not. It was worth noting for the future though as you will see soon enough whether these games will having loading times in the final versions. It is not at all a stupid consideration though. The fact is that cartridge can indeed have fairly long loading times if they are large enough. And in some cases, not optimized properly. If the final games are faster in loading, good for them as it will have proven my statements not entirely true. If a large number of high capacity 3DS games have long loading times though, it would be fair to say that the cartridges are to blame.

Obviously a lot of it has to do with the size of a game, as i clearly stated in the original post. Mercs at least will probably be using a pretty large cartridge considering the scope and content of the game. There's really a lot going on in that game and a lot that needs to be loaded in a level. Besides all that, this topic is not saying "all 3DS games will have horrible loading times". Read the topic title and thread again. It is to say that with larger capacity cartridges, 3DS games are not immune to longer loading times like previous cartridge based handhelds generally were (which again, was not always the case even with DS games). Not that they all will have it by any means, just that some may.

11. Zarxrax

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, consider that the original DS had about 4MB of ram (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). So you can't really read more than about 4mb of data off the cartridge at once. The 3DS has about 64mb of ram that can be filled with data. Assuming the carts read at the same speed, thats a LOT more data to be reading off a cartridge.

12. m2pt5

Member m2pt5 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh come on, plenty of DS games have loading times, and the system even allows for it - that's the whole reason that removable media-based flash carts work as well as they do on it. That's also why GBA code can't be run natively from slot-1, because it doesn't allow for loading times, and in fact requires near-instantaneous access to any of its data.

13. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    Enchanted Folk on DS had insanely long loading time every single damn time you entered anything.

14. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I can't believe people actually whine about this.

15. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    wow 3ds sucks I'm not getting one nowzzzzzz, big deal lol

16. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    the worst loading time i have experienced was on tomb raider (legends i think)... nice game but i left it due to the slow loading times and short levels
    some games dont even have loading times (eg. castlevania btn screens)
    its not gonna be a very big problem but if experienced programmers can reach 12-15 secs than simple programmers may reach upto 30 secs... now tht would be significant
    i just viewed the video to see the game and lol to him whistling while waiting

17. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Still better than Sonic '06.

18. boombox

Member boombox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Game loading time is actually really annoying, but it's not my top fault with Nintendo so I'd like to think I could live with it, like I did with the DSL.

19. granville
    OP

United States
    Yeah, there are pretty much no examples i can think of that are better than this.

I don't really mind loading times within reason. Just to load a large level, 10-15 seconds is something i've gotten used to. But it IS a problem if it's on the scale of Sonic 06, where loading times are present every time a scene changes or whatever. Even when you lose a life or start a mission that lasts for 4 seconds (and then you have to wait for it to load to be told what to do in the mission and later, congratulations for completing the mission). One bit of load every once in a while isn't so bad. It's when they happen for no reason and are incredibly frequent that it gets annoying. They can really be a problem, and that's not whining, it's just a matter of wasted time. [​IMG]

I can live with the level of loading times presented here. The levels are huge and the missions look lengthy in Mercenaries, so i can understand it. But i feel it's rather notable and worth mentioning to people. I can see how it could be a turn off for some people.

20. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    So yeah some of the games haven't been finished yet and still need smoothing out and either way 15 seconds for RE:M? That is nothing, pretty sure RE:DS had longer load times.