Hacking 3ds not booting into gateway - how to uninstall

Dalister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For context, the 3ds mentioned is a Old 3ds XL.

I found out recently that gateway was deprecated, so I figured I needed to switch to luma3ds. When I try to boot into it the 3ds crashes and says "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, Then turn it on and try again." I'm not sure what files to keep or delete from the system and if I need to uninstall Gateway. I reviewed the 3ds hacks guide but it didn't have anything about converting from gateway to luma3ds.

I cant really do anything involving using the homebrew menu because it wont load into gateway mode.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but if I'm not able to access homebrew how do i launch what they want, and is the save for Tomodachi Life in the sd or the microsd
the save is in the sd card encrypted. you will need the JKSM app which you can decrypt the file for and use on sysnand. altho. you are kinda screwed if you cannot launch the console to use those to get the savefile.

Dalister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your save files are encrypted .sav files on your SD card. They can't be used unless the guide is followed to decrypt the save file(s).

Are you able to boot into your emuNAND using Gateway?

If the save doesn't matter, you can skip following the save transfer guide.
as soon as i click on the Nintendo ds profile it crashes

Dalister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know what you did that caused it to start doing this behavior?

Alternatively, you could have someone really handsome decrypt the save file for you if it's only one save. You just have to ask nicely and be patient.
I think the ds forcefully updated without any user interaction, even though I haven't turned on wireless communications since I got it. That probably means I'm screwed, but who knows.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the ds forcefully updated without any user interaction, even though I haven't turned on wireless communications since I got it. That probably means I'm screwed, but who knows.
If you send me the sav file, I can decrypt it. There's no rush to do this. It isn't going anywhere as long as you backup your .sav files somewhere.

This means you can go ahead and continue with the CFW installation guide from before. When you're done, you should follow the emuNAND transfer guide when it asks you in the guide if you had an emuNAND before.

Dalister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you send me the sav file, I can decrypt it. There's no rush to do this. It isn't going anywhere as long as you backup your .sav files somewhere.

This means you can go ahead and continue with the CFW installation guide from before. When you're done, you should follow the emuNAND transfer guide when it asks you in the guide if you had an emuNAND before.
ok, i backed up all sav files that were on the cards, but quick question, what is the extdata used for?

Dalister

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's extra data. It's not as important, and it's likely all saved to the system data already (not to anything that's Gateway specific).
When i tried to launch the audio file it closes the 3ds sound and says "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart. (unsaved data may be lost)"

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is my first attempt launching it, but is this massage normal to receive, or did I mess up
You should keep trying, but it might not work if you've never updated your sysNAND over the internet before. If that's the case, you may want to update to the latest version and try a different method.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have you done this before..? Past threads left me with the impression that Gateway .sav files were stored in a unique format that could only be decrypted using a Gateway. (I know save3ds specifically has the ability to decrypt cartridge save file dumps – which I assume someone might make with Godmode9? – but I've never read about anyone successfully doing anything with save3ds.)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you done this before..? Past threads left me with the impression that Gateway .sav files were stored in a unique format that could only be decrypted using a Gateway. (I know save3ds specifically has the ability to decrypt cartridge save file dumps – which I assume someone might make with Godmode9? – but I've never read about anyone successfully doing anything with save3ds.)
I have a Gateway and an SD with a 9.2 emuNAND just for this purpose.

ok, I just don't want to risk any major issues or a brick
It's safe to try again.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help...