• Views 4,435,011
  • Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

Wolfy5079

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a 3ds xl that i haven't touched in a year and a half that has CFW on it. I would like to format the device and SD card and just cleanly install and update anything that needs it. could someone provide me with a guide to do this and also any reason that I shouldn't format my SD card (because i have a feeling that i really shouldn't do that.) any help would be great. thanks.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi. I have a 3ds xl that i haven't touched in a year and a half that has CFW on it. I would like to format the device and SD card and just cleanly install and update anything that needs it. could someone provide me with a guide to do this and also any reason that I shouldn't format my SD card (because i have a feeling that i really shouldn't do that.) any help would be great. thanks.
What is the point of the "Let's delete everything!!"-method? I. Don't. Understand. It. Never will.
The only reason for deleting personal data is if you do not want it anymore.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw

Reactions: Kwyjor

Wolfy5079

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is the point of the "Let's delete everything!!"-method? I. Don't. Understand. It. Never will.
The only reason for deleting personal data is if you do not want it anymore.

(had to delete this link so i could post)
the 3ds was won in a competition a couple years back. it came with some stuff like that angel app that doesn't work anymore. i also find that a lot of games i have on there just don't work. comes up with a black screen with a random error(OOT 3D dropped an error before i could even load in) frequently. I thought i could just wipe all that stuff off there with a clean install.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the 3ds was won in a competition a couple years back. it came with some stuff like that angel app that doesn't work anymore. i also find that a lot of games i have on there just don't work. comes up with a black screen with a random error(OOT 3D dropped an error before i could even load in) frequently. I thought i could just wipe all that stuff off there with a clean install.
You leave me speechless. You are the first one to provide a sensible answer to my question "Why delete everything?"
Please note that uninstalling the CFW is neither needed for your goal nor a good idea. Everything else can only be answered by yourself. Do you still need something from the old setup?

==============
Paranoid me would backup the NAND to another FAT32, h2testw (or F3) checked SD as well as the content of the main SD. Just in case.

If individual deleting titles is out of question because of supposed corruption:
  • Backup any saves you care for with Checkpoint and/or JKSM and store those on your computer
  • Make sure the console boots without SD before formatting the SD
  • Check the empty SD with h2testw or F3
  • "Format System Memory" (aka factory reset) will throw away the user profile and make previous SD data unusable. All Activity Log data will be gone as well.
    • B9S survives this. Above guide is still the correct way after formatting the console+SD
    • Make sure you have latest B9S (Luma3DS at least version v8.0 or higher)
    • Make sure the 3DS slider works before "Format System Memory"
Think before deleting.

Good luck and have fun!

Wolfy5079

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You leave me speechless. You are the first one to provide a sensible answer to my question "Why delete everything?"
Please note that uninstalling the CFW is neither needed for your goal nor a good idea. Everything else can only be answered by yourself. Do you still need something from the old setup?

==============
Paranoid me would backup the NAND to another FAT32, h2testw (or F3) checked SD as well as the content of the main SD. Just in case.

If individual deleting titles is out of question because of supposed corruption:
  • Backup any saves you care for with Checkpoint and/or JKSM and store those on your computer
  • Make sure the console boots without SD before formatting the SD
  • Check the empty SD with h2testw or F3
  • "Format System Memory" (aka factory reset) will throw away the user profile and make previous SD data unusable. All Activity Log data will be gone as well.
    • B9S survives this. Above guide is still the correct way after formatting the console+SD
    • Make sure you have latest B9S (Luma3DS at least version v8.0 or higher)
    • Make sure the 3DS slider works before "Format System Memory"
Think before deleting.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for all the advice here. The first thing I planned to do is back the whole SD card up before I begin to do anything else with it. This reaffirms that notion. There’s nothing I need from the old setup. I’m happy to start again on everything. I definitely won’t try to remove the CFW from the device itself now. Hopefully everything comes out ok on the other side. Again, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One of the crashes I know of has to do with multiplayer connections, so I thought that one was more likely to be useful, but I have no way to tell.
Did you hear about kartdlphax, which was only released earlier this year?
https://github.com/mariohackandglitch/kartdlphax

I expect a lot of new "primary" exploits could be implemented since Seedminer cracks the filesystem encryption wide open. (A lot of the older "secondary" exploits could probably be redone that way, for that matter.) But there doesn't seem to be much call for new exploits anymore.

Jack374

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im just gonna include my friend code and ID0 here for people interested
ID0 = 5d43b21cf647fad6350eef5d17c21b6f

Friend code = 066283490401

I’m just gonna go ahead and ask if anyone experienced with seedminer can help me with the movable sed since the website is being weird for me and thats not in my field of intelligence
Send me a message requesting my id0 and friend code and i can reach you tomorrow since thanksgiving is today so i am busy
Hello, im still looking for someone who can help me with this. I hope one of you can help if you can because i want to homebrew my ds but the bruteforce movable site wont work for me and also considering i dont have any friends with homebrew that can seedmine my movable

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, im still looking for someone who can help me with this. I hope one of you can help if you can because i want to homebrew my ds but the bruteforce movable site wont work for me and also considering i dont have any friends with homebrew that can seedmine my movable
Did you miss my earlier post? You can do it yourself with a Mii QR code if you have to, and if you can sort through the appropriate instructions.

Otherwise, have you possibly considered that maybe other people might have had this problem in the past and that there might be better alternatives than repeatedly posting in this thread?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/seedminer-fc-and-mining-help.496114/

Jack374

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you miss my earlier post? You can do it yourself with a Mii QR code if you have to, and if you can sort through the appropriate instructions.

Otherwise, have you possibly considered that maybe other people might have had this problem in the past and that there might be better alternatives than repeatedly posting in this thread?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/seedminer-fc-and-mining-help.496114/
Sorry if I came off as rude or disruptive, I don’t think I did see your post, thanks

Deleted member 436561

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good day! I just recently hacked my old 3ds, and I'm using Asdolo's Ultimate SNES VC Injector for a few games. However, Super Castlevania IV does not work. (I'd just use the VC cia if it wasn't for the fact that it's an old 3DS and not the N3DS.)

I downloaded a few different versions of the sfc but haven't found a way to make this work. I was wondering if I could get some advice on how else I could set this up. If I download an emulator, is there an easy way to create an injector to point to that?

AriaNights

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey! I’ve been attempting to run a copy of Pokemon Platinum I dumped using Godmode9. I’m currently running it through Twilight Menu, but after the nds-loader startup boots, the game greets me with a white bottom screen and a red top screen. The red top screen even has a neat little pattern of white dots.

The image should be sent with this. I’ve attempted to run Soulsilver as well, and it went off without a hitch, which means it was likely an issue with this ROM — but is this rom just messed beyond repair, or did something else happen?

Thank you!
0B781BEC-AF40-4CCD-B9C6-7EFD0FC189B1.jpeg

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Asdolo's Ultimate SNES VC Injector
Are you referring to New Super Ultimate Injector? Because it sounds like you're using something old and out of date.

Hey! I’ve been attempting to run a copy of Pokemon Platinum I dumped using Godmode9.
Does the cart you used to make the dump still function properly? Are you sure it isn't a bootleg?

You should be able to calculate the hash of the ROM and compare it with other hashes available online.

Deleted member 436561

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you referring to New Super Ultimate Injector? Because it sounds like you're using something old and out of date.
I've been using this one. gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-snes-vc-injector-for-3ds.453891/

I actually hadn't noticed it said for the "new 3ds only" - other SNES titles I've injected with it have worked.

AriaNights

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the cart you used to make the dump still function properly? Are you sure it isn't a bootleg?

You should be able to calculate the hash of the ROM and compare it with other hashes available online.
The cart seemed to work perfectly, and by all accounts, it wasn't a bootleg. The cart itself honestly seemed perfectly fine.

I was thinking it was an issue just in emulating Platinum, but it very well could be an issue with the ROM itself. Is there any guides as to how I can calculate a ROM hash? It's probably fairly obvious, but my illiterate ass can't find any at the moment.

Thank you!

**Edit: I've got the hash, I think, through Gameheader. Specifically, I've got the CRC32, MD5, SHA1, and SHA256 hashes. I'm not entirely sure where to go with these hashes, mind, but I've checked around using the CRC32 hash -- and nothing's lined up yet.

**E2: At least through the romhacks forums, there doesn't seem to be any match for the copy in terms of SHA1/SHA256 and the CRC/MD5 hashes. Are there any other methods of comparison I should use for this, or is this a bootleg?

As for the file itself, it reads as follows:

System: Nintendo - Nintendo DS
Path: Non-Trim
Archive:
File: POKEMON_PL_CPUE01_01.nds
BitSize: 1 Gbit
Size (Bytes): 134217728
CRC32: 474D2CB6
MD5: CFCDED58360A10FEE5454D785B786930
SHA1: 3EC347C809FBD758F0382B6025D7DF524C2B6C5C
SHA256: BA6CABF0DB5F5171FFBBC229F85623D9E1F0EF153965A011D2D76D42DCACE539

--E3 swear to god this is the last one.

Looking through another dump, from what I can tell, most of the values seem identical -- or at least match up a fair deal. Having run both, it seems the primary issue lay in the Platinum copy I dumped attempting to pull a save where there was none. Scratch that, the other one still crashes. Not sure why.

Last edited by AriaNights,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
**Edit: I've got the hash, I think, through Gameheader. Specifically, I've got the CRC32, MD5, SHA1, and SHA256 hashes. I'm not entirely sure where to go with these hashes, mind, but I've checked around using the CRC32 hash -- and nothing's lined up yet.

**E2: At least through the romhacks forums, there doesn't seem to be any match for the copy in terms of SHA1/SHA256 and the CRC/MD5 hashes. Are there any other methods of comparison I should use for this, or is this a bootleg?
While it's conceivable that two files might have the same CRC32 but a different MD5 or SHA1, it's really so completely improbable as to not be worth considering.

Looking through another dump, from what I can tell, most of the values seem identical -- or at least match up a fair deal.
If you want to compare dumps, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_hex_editors suggests numerous suitable programs. (I keep coming back to Frhed, but I keep suspecting there's something better out there that's still free.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2: