• Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

Joeli53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, it’s been a long time since I’ve used my 3DS and I don’t even know where to start. But I would like to be able to access Pokémon Bank to move my Pokémon to Pokémon Home.

I’m currently on 11.0.0-33U. I’m not sure what version Luma is, but FBI is 2.4.2. What should be the steps that I need to take in order to download Pokémon Bank from the 3DS eShop and begin transferring? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Joeli53,

Ender3Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lately I've been having trouble with NTR. It randomly crashes when entering/exiting sleep mode, returning to/entering the home menu, and launching sub-apps such as the internet browser, even while no plugin is loaded.
Since the crashes aren't consistent, I'm not sure what to make of them.
I should also mention that about 30% of the time NTR Selector fails to launch NTR correctly, freezing, crashing, or just causing NTR to ignore the XY menu hotkey.
As to pertinent system information, I'm running Luma 10 and the latest B9S on my N2DSXL. I'm also using the latest version of NTR Selector.
Any ideas?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, it’s been a long time since I’ve used my 3DS and I don’t even know where to start. But I would like to be able to access Pokémon Bank to move my Pokémon to Pokémon Home.

I’m currently on 11.0.0-33U. I’m not sure what version Luma is, but FBI is 2.4.2. What should be the steps that I need to take in order to download Pokémon Bank from the 3DS eShop and begin transferring? Thanks for any help.
Depends on your Luma3DS version. Hold (Select) on power on. It should say Luma3DS vXXX configuration on the top of the upper screen.
  • Luma3DS ≤ v7.0.5 A9LH to B9S
  • Luma3DS = v7.1 Updating B9S
  • Luma3DS ≥ v8.0 Replace boot.firm with latest version to prevent the infamous "Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)" error
If only updating boot.firm make at least sure to copy the new file to CTRNAND to allow booting in case of missing, corrupted or bad SD (or even faulty reader)

Good luck and have fun!

Joeli53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on your Luma3DS version. Hold (Select) on power on. It should say Luma3DS vXXX configuration on the top of the upper screen.
  • Luma3DS ≤ v7.0.5 A9LH to B9S
  • Luma3DS = v7.1 Updating B9S
  • Luma3DS ≥ v8.0 Replace boot.firm with latest version to prevent the infamous "Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)" error
If only updating boot.firm make at least sure to copy the new file to CTRNAND to allow booting in case of missing, corrupted or bad SD (or even faulty reader)

Good luck and have fun!

Awesome, I’m on Luma 6.6. If I follow all of the steps from the guide linked, will my save files be safe? I don’t want to reset anything on my New 3DS, just want to be able to access the eShop and Pokémon Bank. Thanks.

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes it is just changing the exploit for cfw (an open door) so your saves are save, i have done the same thing 2 months ago. Lost nothing. Even not my NNID or Eshop acces. So your money stays also there (because that is linked to the account).

Last edited by 3DSBricker,

Joeli53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is just changing the exploit for cfw (an open door) so your saves are save, i have done the same thing 2 months ago. Lost nothing. Even not my NNID or Eshop acces. So your money stays also there (because that is linked to the account).

Great, thank you. One question: the guide noted that “If, before following this guide, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND before doing this section.”

How do I know if I’m running on EmuNAND currently? I did this so long ago I don’t even remember if I created an EmuNAND. When I go into my settings, it says “Sys 11.0.0-33U,” which seems to signal something related to EmuNAND, but I can’t remember exactly.

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay that is good. Sys stands for SysNAND.
That is done by Luma because back in 2016 with A9LH ban/brick risk was very high. The first EmuNAND was made by Gateway because the 3ds flashcard was patched in a system update so the choice was:
1. All online games but no piracy/copies
2. Piracy/copies but no online.
Gateway made EmuNAND, so you have a dual boot 1. The online latest firmware and 2. The flashcard.
Actually it was really smart.
But with the launch of Boot9strap/Fastboot3ds the ban risk is almost 0 (unless you cheat online, offline should be fine) and you can't easily brick (again unless you ignore minimal 5 complex warnings with key combo unlock).
So again you should be fine. (And if you want to play online you can safely update to 11.13)

Last edited by 3DSBricker,

Joeli53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay that is good. Sys stands for SysNAND.
That is done by Luma because back in 2016 with A9LH ban/brick risk was very high. The first EmuNAND was made by Gateway because the 3ds flashcard was patched in a system update so the choice was:
1. All online games but no piracy/copies
2. Piracy/copies but no online.
Gateway made EmuNAND, so you have a dual boot 1. The online latest firmware and 2. The flashcard.
Actually it was really smart.
But with the launch of Boot9strap/Fastboot3ds the ban risk is almost 0 (unless you cheat online, offline should be fine) and you can't easily brick (again unless you ignore minimal 5 complex warnings with key combo unlock).
So again you should be fine. (And if you want to play online you can safely update to 11.13)

Great, thanks! I'll just follow the steps exactly as is then. I'll report back on how it all turns out.

Joeli53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great news! I followed all of the advice here and was able to successfully update my 3DS to the latest firmware and access the 3DS eShop. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Alexander1970

kbf

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My current 3DS broke so i'm planning to get a new one soon. If I get another 3DS and hack that one can I use all my homebrew/games/emulators etc, etc, on my new 3DS console with my SD card with all my stuff in it that was in my old 3DS without any issues?

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 3DS with homebrew installed. I also have a Nintendo DS with a M3-card, would the M3-card work with my 3DS system if I would want to play NDS games?

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 3DS with homebrew installed. I also have a Nintendo DS with a M3-card, would the M3-card work with my 3DS system if I would want to play NDS games?
No, you wont be able to do that.

If you look into something called TWiLight Menu for the 3ds, you'll be able to play NDS games. Assuming you are taking ROMS from the internet.

Reactions: RookieKid

avocado

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,
My 3DS used CFW from 2016 and I wanted to update it to B9S and current Luma.
I tried to follow the https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s but I found out that my 32GB sdcard is broken.
every file I copy into it disappears. I still could used my 3DS though. it seems that I just could not write.
My plan was to format it by using the 3DS because my laptop failed to do so.

Unfortunately, I did factory reset my 3DS accidentally because I thought that would reset my SDcard only. Now my 3DS boot into OFW Sys 11.0.0-33U.
I still have FBI icon and it is functioning.
Pressing Power+Select brings me to Luma config menu, Luma v5.5.
Pressing Power+Start brings me to Hourglass9. It stops at Initialization: success!

Now I used 16GB and dumped everything from that broken card except the big-sized folder named Nintendo 3DS.
I created a folder named Nintendo 3DS though and copy Nintendo 3DS/Private folder.

Can someone point me on which step on the guide I should start?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
My 3DS used CFW from 2016 and I wanted to update it to B9S and current Luma.
I tried to follow the https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s but I found out that my 32GB sdcard is broken.
every file I copy into it disappears. I still could used my 3DS though. it seems that I just could not write.
My plan was to format it by using the 3DS because my laptop failed to do so.

Unfortunately, I did factory reset my 3DS accidentally because I thought that would reset my SDcard only. Now my 3DS boot into OFW Sys 11.0.0-33U.
Pressing Power+Select brings me to Luma config menu, Luma v5.5.
Pressing Power+Start brings me to Hourglass9. It stops at Initialization: success!

Now I used 16GB and dumped everything from that broken card except the big-sized folder named Nintendo 3DS.
I created a folder named Nintendo 3DS though and copy Nintendo 3DS/Private folder.

Can someone point me on which step on the guide I should start?
You want to run the a9lh to b9s again. Aswell, since ya formatted your 3ds. That 3ds folder with the private folder is useless if you dont have a nand backup of the console before the format.

avocado

Trophies
XP
Country
You want to run the a9lh to b9s again. Aswell, since ya formatted your 3ds. That 3ds folder with the private folder is useless if you dont have a nand backup of the console before the format.

So I should start from here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s ?
Can I start from there even though the 3DS boot into OFW now? I forgot how to enter into Luma v5.5. :)

I actually have backed up my 32GB card before formatting.
So I still have 18GB sized Nintendo 3DS folder.
I did not copy it into the 16GB card because it is obviously not enough.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
[…]
Oh no! Why?? I have asked this so many times and nobody answered this question yet. Where does this idea come from? Something does not work → "Let's delete everything!"
I know it sounds offensive. This is not my intention! I'm genuinely interested in understanding that. So many people react this way if something doesn't work and I don't get it. Why would deleting everything repair any damage?

Since my questions are admittedly not helpful in any way I will now try my best to help you:

1. Follow the A9LH → B9S guide with your 16GB SD card. If you had A9LH it should survive "Format System Memory" and the guide should work. Everything is explained there.

2. You mentioned a backup of your previous "Nintendo 3DS folder" so get a new SD ≥ 32GB for restoring it. The console certainly tried to overwrite the data but if the failing SD went into read-only mode (sometimes SDs do this to protect data from being overwritten when they detect their near end) everything might still be there in addition to the backup.
Please check any new SD for defects and fake before trusting it:
  1. Make sure the SD is formatted with FAT32, 32kb cluster size, if bigger than 32GB and using Windows use guiformat.
  2. Check your SD Windows, Linux, OS X.
    • If you get any errors replace the SD.
    • If you get no errors copy your previous folder onto the SD.
The console will ignore this folder since you used "Format System Memory" and the encryption key changed.​

3. Download the magnificent GodMode9 script
CTRTransfer Type D9. Despite the name it can do much more than CTRTransfer. You can try "Finding and restoring the KeyY". It is under additional features. Be smart and keep backups of everything before any modification. Make sure you have only one <ID1> folder inside "Nintendo 3DS".
If you have a (recent) NAND image from before using "Format System Memory" a NAND restore might also be a possibility. But it is not the first thing to try.

Good luck!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: