• Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does a 3ds Flashcart like sky3ds++ play out of region games?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If not how do I get my 3ds to do so without modding firmware. The system I have is a kiosk demo unit don’t want to compromise it

I believe so. I was using a 3ds flash cart for the majority of my games for about a year or two or longer.

tosti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Last edited by tosti,
Reactions: godreborn

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Does a 3ds Flashcart like sky3ds++ play out of region games?

If not how do I get my 3ds to do so without modding firmware. The system I have is a kiosk demo unit don’t want to compromise it
You would need to be on a low enough firmware to use userland homebrew

tosti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello all, first-timer here. The forum and guides have been helpful in setting op my 2DS XL with cfw. However, I encountered a little problem and wanted to try and fix it myself. That turned into a bigger problem that I cannot fix myself, I'll try to keep this post clean and clear.

Pokemon Ultra Sun not booting (small problem)

Yesterday I followed the 3DS guide and used FBI to play some titles. While cias for Pokemon Ultra Moon (including a separate cia for the 1.2 update), Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default and Bravely Second worked, the cia for Pokemon Ultra Sun (including a separate 1.2 update) kept crashing. I got different cias from different sources, but the error remained. That was the small problem I tried to resolve.

Starting Pokemon Ultra Sun, I got the following error message:

An error occurred (ErrDisp)

Error type: generic
Process ID: 67115840
Adress: 0x00000d1a
Error code: 0x00000d1

Press any button to reboot.

So, I searched for the error message, and I found that the Luma 10.X error messages are sometimes nonsensical. Therefore, I got and used another boot firm file from Luma 9. That did not resolve the issue but gave me another, maybe a more insightful (not to me) error message:

An error occurred (ErrDisp)

Error type: generic
Process ID: 39
Process name: momiji
Process title ID: 0x00040000001b5000
Adress: 0x00346e74
Error code: 0xd900458b

Press any button to reboot.

Internal SD card not accessible (big problem)

Not wanting to come across like the total beginner I actually am, I figured I would check the basics. I started with my SD card, since that's the first thing I usually saw veteran users recommend people with issues.

Today I followed the first five steps from TurdPooCharger's post (cannot link to it, but from today, in thread called "
I got errdisp error... maybe changed region caused problem??"). The SD card was backed up, quadruple reformatted, checked with H2testw (no errors detected), emptied and refitted with the backup I made this morning.

And that's when the small problem I had (i.e., Pokemon Ultra Sun not booting while the other games worked fine) turned into a bigger problem:

Cannot display the software on the microSD card. The microSD card could not be accessed.

My question for help

It seems like I did something to my internal microSD card and now my 2DS XL cannot read it any more. The System Settings still mention that firmware is the Sys variant, so I assume it has something to do with me reformatting the card.

Sorry for the long post. If anyone can help me with either (i) getting my internal SD card recognised by my 2DS XL again, or (ii) what I could do about Pokemon Ultra Sun not working when the internal SD card did function, I would be really grateful.

Some closing information: I am from Europe and have made sure to get EU/PAL or region-free versions of the cias.

Update, After a couple of reformats, I got my 2DS XL to recognise the internal SD again.

After trying the quadruple reformat yesterday, I think I screwed up somewhere (possibly with MiniTools). This morning I formatted using Windows Explorer first (to device defaults), and then used guiformat to format to FAT32 with 32kb unit sizes.

On to installing the games and seeing if I get the same error with Pokemon Ultra Sun.

EDIT: I have a boot.firm file and a boot.firm.bak file on my internal SD. I do not recognise the bak-file from before. What is it and do I need it?

I did try to update something yesterday (can't remember what exactly) and that failed. Maybe it's a backup?

Last edited by tosti,
Reactions: godreborn

emc28285

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if I can put cfw on a 3ds xl retail demo unit? Idk if it’s safe or if It’s the same software as a normal 3ds xl

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Does anyone know if I can put cfw on a 3ds xl retail demo unit? Idk if it’s safe or if It’s the same software as a normal 3ds xl

Hello.:)

Please correct me if I am completely wrong:

The Difference to an regular Modell is that the Demo Units are designed to work without Battery/do not work with an Battery.:unsure:

emc28285

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes that’s the difference in hardware. However I don’t know if there’s a difference in software. The set up of the home menu looks different.

Here’s a photo for reference
C8CA6A50-5D33-49B2-B982-10A8D7B53B99.png

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

emc28285

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if it’s required to install cfw for a sky3DS++ flash cart to work? Or can I just use the flash cart directly to my 3ds without installing cfw?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does anyone know if it’s required to install cfw for a sky3DS++ flash cart to work? Or can I just use the flash cart directly to my 3ds without installing cfw?
Unmodified ROMs from the same region work without CFW. (Only games with cartridge releases. No eShop-only games).

Reactions: Alexander1970

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If your 3ds has cfw you can also load out of region 3ds roms.

Somebody said in an old thread that eshop roms could be loaded too, if they are encrypted, but I dont know how to encrypt them, pc side (no godmode9)

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I've been out of the loop, is it still possible to download updates for your games, and what's the best method now? I read Nintendo killed all the methods from years ago

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I've been out of the loop, is it still possible to download updates for your games, and what's the best method now? I read Nintendo killed all the methods from years ago
Just visit the eShop, if the game is the same region as your console. Otherwise, download the update cia and install it with FBI.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.