• Replies 53,717
  • Likes 43

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok question since I am a noob in this.
I want to do some Romhack on 3DS, see if many some translations or whatever are possible. But I'm having a hard time finding accurate documents here.

I just got a New 3DS with a 10.3 firmware so I was able to put menuhax quite easily, now I want to know what I need exactly to have a safe way to test my romhack.
I suppose downgrading to 9.2 but what's the safest way currently ? then what can I do to dump/extract/import back my games to test since Citra is not reliable so far.

Thanks for all the people replying.

Using HANS to test your hacks is the safest and easiest way.

Gudradan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is the new version of FBI compatible with Plailect's guide?

New FBI release: 2.1.1 - https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Yes it is, the only difference is that in the old version you navigate to the .cia file and press the A to install it (like the guide say), with the latest version insted you select SD>Navigate to the .cia you want to install>Press A to select it>Press A on Install CIA>Confirm again with A. Is just longer said than done, not really needs a guide update.

EDIT: Two questions:
1. To update a payload in Luma3DS I just have to overwrite the old .bin files in the "/luma/payloads/" folder or I need to add the .3dsx files in the "/3ds/" folder too? And there are some homebrews like "uncart" where I can't find the .bin file on github, how I get it?
2. In the "Nintendo3DS" folder I have 3 folders with an alphanumeric numeric and one named "Private". The last one just have the file "phtcache.bin", one of the 3 alphanumeric folder is obviusly where all the .cia files are installed (is very big), so what are the other two folders used for? And can I delete them?

Thanks.

Last edited by Gudradan,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid question of the day: Can I use FBI to update FBI? Or can it not overwrite a program currently running? If so, then would I need to run it via HBL (3dsx) and then install the cia?

Gudradan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stupid question of the day: Can I use FBI to update FBI? Or can it not overwrite a program currently running? If so, then would I need to run it via HBL (3dsx) and then install the cia?

You can install it via HBL as you said, or you can use another .cia installer like NASA. Or you can inject the new version in H&S and remove the older one.

Actually I don't know if two different version of FBI are considered two different titles, because in that case you could even install the new version using the old one, then removing the old one using the newer... Well now I have to try it..

EDIT: Titles are based on Title_ID, and all FBI 2.x.x share the same id (while 1.4.7 and probably older have a different ID so you can use it as "alternative" .cia installer).

And seems like you could "update" FBI while using it (you can't see the update until you close and open it doe), but I really don't know if that is a proper installation.

Last edited by Gudradan,

ShinyMaxie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello. noob here. :) im glad this thread exists.
I've been trying to set up OOThax today, but I'm confused. Do I need a powersave appliance to use OOThax if I have no other homebrew application already installed? i'm trying to do the saveimage method.

EDIT: also, my console is a New 3DS that's updated to the most recent update. 10.7 32u i think

Last edited by ShinyMaxie,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hello. noob here. :) im glad this thread exists.
I've been trying to set up OOThax today, but I'm confused. Do I need a powersave appliance to use OOThax if I have no other homebrew application already installed? i'm trying to do the saveimage method.
Yes, you'll need Powersaves to write the save to the cart if you don't have access to a homebrew capable 3DS.

VFB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, there.
This is my first post on this forum.

I have a friend whose I could borrow Ocarina of Time 3D from. If i use the "powersave method" (I'm not really sure how it works), are there any chances it could damage the game cart? Can I simply delete or overwrite the save slot afterwards? Would I need to have the OoT game inserted on my 3DS everytime I load the Homebrew Channel or just the first time, when it's installed?

I have a 4.5.0-OU O3DS and I'd rather use the "Themehax Method", but whenever I try to use the browser I get a message saying that it will only be available once I update the system.

Thanks in advance.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, there.
This is my first post on this forum.

I have a friend whose I could borrow Ocarina of Time 3D from. If i use the "powersave method" (I'm not really sure how it works), are there any chances it could damage the game cart? Can I simply delete or overwrite the save slot afterwards? Would I need to have the OoT game inserted on my 3DS everytime I load the Homebrew Channel or just the first time, when it's installed?

I have a 4.5.0-OU O3DS and I'd rather use the "Themehax Method", but whenever I try to use the browser I get a message saying that it will only be available once I update the system.

Thanks in advance.
No. Using Powersaves will not corrupt the game or produce any problems for the game. Yes a save is injected into the game, you can delete the save like any other save. It's not special in any other way other than accessing the homebrew menu. If you don't have another access point, you will need Oothax every time you wish to get into homebrew although since you're getting menuhax that won't be a problem.

Btw, menuhax won't work for 4.5. You have to update to 9.2.

Last edited by Just Passing By,
Reactions: VFB and wormdood

VFB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No. Using Powersaves will not corrupt the game or produce any problems for the game. Yes a save is injected into the game, you can delete the save like any other save. It's not special in any other way other than accessing the homebrew menu. If you don't have another access point, you will need Oothax every time you wish to get into homebrew although since you're getting menuhax that won't be a problem.

Btw, menuhax won't work for 4.5. You have to update to 9.2.
Thanks, man.

If I understand right, Oothax would be a bad idea, as I wouldn't be able to load homebrew after I return the game to my friend, right?

Is there a way to upgrade to 9.2 without using the 3DS internet browser? My 3DS's browser is unavailable unless I update it.
Also, I have a Majora's Mask game that tells me I need to update to 7.1.0-0U to play. Will it be harder to install the homebrew launcher if I update to 7.1.0-0U?

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, man.

If I understand right, Oothax would be a bad idea, as I wouldn't be able to load homebrew after I return the game to my friend, right?

Is there a way to upgrade to 9.2 without using the 3DS internet browser? My 3DS's browser is unavailable unless I update it.
Also, I have a Majora's Mask game that tells me I need to update to 7.1.0-0U to play. Will it be harder to install the homebrew launcher if I update to 7.1.0-0U?
Correct. What happens in Oothax stays with Oothax. You can't just transfer homebrew access to something else. An exploit for Oothax won't allow for homebrew access in other games.

To update to 9.2, I recommend using a cartridge with 9.2 on it. Skip using Majora's Mask. And no. The process for installing Oothax will not differ between firmware. Injecting will always be injecting no matter what.

Reactions: VFB

Real_Redwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can someone tell me how to update Luma3DS (AuReiNAND)? I have an older version of AuReiNAND right now and I'm wondering how to update it to Luma3DS? And is there any kind of prerequisite to updating?

Ricken

Oh Pretty Angel... Did None Teach You?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plz answer as soon as possible

Sliderhax is not working on my friends browser (over 100 tries with orange screen) and so the solution i thought of was to install BBM into Health&Safety, then boot Cakes, install hb_loader.cia, Then install menuhax

My problem is that http://dukesrg.no-ip.org/3ds/cakes?Cakes.dat never loads, and changing it to .github.io after dukesrg doesnt help either
Help?

EDIT; Accidentally solved myself
Went to look at the github at dukesrg.github.io :P

Last edited by Ricken,

matthewordie

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm trying to update the firmware on my R4i cart. My 3DS is on 10.7.32U. Not sure how I can go about updating the firmware. I downloaded the newest (1.83b) firmware from the website. I put it on the SD card but I'm not sure how to run it. I tried running Update from the R4i menu but nothing happened. Any ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended