• Views 4,437,628
  • Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

Zappline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Plailect's Guide is fantastic. 3DS hacking noob here. Over the last week, I successfully modded 6 3DSes (2x n3ds 4x o3ds) using Plailec'ts instructions. Depending on the firmware version, I used browserhax or OoTHax as the entry point. The best bet is to print the guide, read each step twice, and cross 'em off the list as you complete them. I had once incident where the an o3DS bricked, during the downgrade to 9.2. However, I was able to boot up in safe mode, let it update to 10.7, and then tried the process again. Once I got the hang of it, it only took about 4 hours per console.

Sound quite good to be honest. However I do not have OoT so I have to rely on the browserhax. and if I understood the guide alright this will work on SysNAND 9.2
I have 4.4 so I would simply have to update to 9.2 with help of the guide and hope it works. I will try this out this weekend and cross all my fingers :P

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally completed Part 3! Thank you pbanj and Ricken! Never could have gotten this far without ya.

So since I completed Part 3, does this mean I can finally attempt to acquire a private header?

Edit: I saw a reddit post link this thread from this site https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-everything-under-the-sky3ds.386045/

Should I use this one? Using the gateway method or w/e, since I dont have a powersave?
Ya you just need to run the gateway launcher from the homebrew menu and use the option to dump the game(not sure if uncart does the header). Once the game is dumped you just open it with a tool on your PC and it will show you all the header info.

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to install a9lh? If you are, go for the last link. It's basically the accepted guide by everyone for the process.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Reactions: pbanj

Zappline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on what step you're on.

Im on step 1. I have not done anything yet. I have only ever used Gateway and nothing else. this is my next step but I'm quite afraid of taking it.

Are you trying to install a9lh? If you are, go for the last link. It's basically the accepted guide by everyone for the process.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

yeah I'm trying to install a9lh for the first time. I have never done anything like it, as stated before i have only ever used Gateway and it is way more simple then anything else I can find :P but it lacks alot of stuff I would like to have.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first 2 are useless to people who don't already have their otp/a9lh. This first one is the installer the last link will have you use near the end. The second one is just how to update the a9lh exploit after its been installed.

Tl;dr do the last link

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im on step 1. I have not done anything yet. I have only ever used Gateway and nothing else. this is my next step but I'm quite afraid of taking it.

yeah I'm trying to install a9lh for the first time. I have never done anything like it, as stated before i have only ever used Gateway and it is way more simple then anything else I can find :P but it lacks alot of stuff I would like to have.
Use the last link then and start on part 4 "Getting the OTP".

Reactions: pbanj

Zappline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The first 2 are useless to people who don't already have their otp/a9lh. This first one is the installer the last link will have you use near the end. The second one is just how to update the a9lh exploit after its been installed.

Tl;dr do the last link

hehe thank you very much ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Use the last link then and start on part 4 "Getting the OTP".

Should I update from 4.4 to 9.2 before I get my OTP? When should I try to make a SysNAND backup? before or after upgrade to 9.2 sorry if all of these questions are retarded but I have never done anything as complicated as this before :P I will try this out this weekend (when I have some time) so i try to find out as much as possible before I try anything

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hehe thank you very much ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Should I update from 4.4 to 9.2 before I get my OTP? When should I try to make a SysNAND backup? before or after upgrade to 9.2 sorry if all of these questions are retarded but I have never done anything as complicated as this before :P I will try this out this weekend (when I have some time) so i try to find out as much as possible before I try anything

If you have CFW (Gateway or RxTools) downgrade that to 2.1 and grab your OTP.

superluccix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Im looking at this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-everything-under-the-sky3ds.386045/

I have downloaded the requirements of PsyKo's Gateway ROM Patcher and Gateway-3DS' Gateway Menu (Launcher.dat in your 3DS' SD Card) (Which I assume I only need the launcher.dat file from the list of files)

So I was about to do the first step, however before the first step it says "After you dumped or backed up your legit physical game cart, you should end up with a .3DS file of your game inside your 3DS' SD Card."

It seems I need to have done this before I can attempt to do step 1, however I dont see any explanation for how Im supposed to do that, assuming I interpreted this correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Again lol

Edit: I may have made this post prematurely, because I found this manual http://scmods.com/gw_guide/GW-3-7-1.pdf Im assuming this will help me. Will check in a bit

2nd Edit: I am currently on part IV called Header Checking, and it lists 3 requirements, which I have, but then right under it, before step 1, it says "Assuming you already played a game using Sky3DS and using your private header."

Does this mean before I attempt to start this part IV, I need to play a game using my private header? Before I attempted doing any of the private header Parts, I played fire emblem Fates on my sky3ds+, and now after starting this private header thing, I haven't done anything else. In fact the previous parts before part IV made no mention of me needed to put my SD card back into my 3ds or anything, the final step of part III is just about *injecting a private header*

So basically my question is this, do I ignore the "Assuming you already played a game using Sky3DS and using your private header." and just go straight to step 1 of Part IV? Or am I supposed to be doing something beforehand? I just got done the Part II and Part III of this Private Header guide. This is the link btw https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-everything-under-the-sky3ds.386045/

Last edited by superluccix,

MoistCake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've had a Gateway card since it first came out.
Now seeing all these CFW & hacks released, including arm9loaderhax / AuReiNand

Is there any major benefits to using this stuff if I already have a Gateway card?

Furthermore, can I use BOTH together? Gateway AND CFW / arm9loaderhax / AuReiNand?
The best of both worlds?

If I cannot use both together, then I guess i'll just stick to using Gateway, since I have many roms stored on the microSD card which is used in my Gateway flash card.

If CFW does work well together with Gateway & doing so adds extra functionality that Gateway alone cannot offer, then if someone has a link to a guide for Gateway users, I'd appreciate it.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've had a Gateway card since it first came out.
Now seeing all these CFW & hacks released, including arm9loaderhax / AuReiNand

Is there any major benefits to using this stuff if I already have a Gateway card?

Furthermore, can I use BOTH together? Gateway AND CFW / arm9loaderhax / AuReiNand?
The best of both worlds?

If I cannot use both together, then I guess i'll just stick to using Gateway, since I have many roms stored on the microSD card which is used in my Gateway flash card.

If CFW does work well together with Gateway & doing so adds extra functionality that Gateway alone cannot offer, then if someone has a link to a guide for Gateway users, I'd appreciate it.
The benefit of using A9lh is that you gain a 100% CFW bootrate, a much faster bootrate, negate the need for emuNAND/redNAND, and have the ability to recover from bricking without a hardmod.

You can technically use both Gateway and A9lh together, but you lose some of the benefits of A9lh when using Gateway. With Gateway, I believe you'll still need emuNAND, and you'll need to boot it after booting into sysNAND. You can install cias to your Gateway emuNAND, and boot into that emuNAND with A9lh, which will make them playable on both, but this makes Gateway kinda pointless if you do this with all of your games.

Gateway is supposed to be adding A9lh support at some point, so it might be better to wait for their support to be released before making the switch to A9lh.

MoistCake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The benefit of using A9lh is that you gain a 100% CFW bootrate, a much faster bootrate, negate the need for emuNAND/redNAND, and have the ability to recover from bricking without a hardmod.
It all sounds really nice. Does it have an in-game cheat menu? With scanning of values & finding addresses on your own? Like Gateway does.
I was also hoping that it solved the DS game issue. Like with flash cards, you need TWO cards, one for 3DS and one for DS.
I assumed that CFW had solved this issue by now & you could just dump all your DS & 3DS games in one folder & choose what you want to play.

Mehhhhhhhhh giving up my microSD card slot & having to depend 100% on just my SD card is a deal breaker for me.
I like having all my .CIA files on my SD card & all my .3DS rom files on my microSD.
I guess I will just wait for that Gateway update you mentioned.

Thanks for the info bro.

Zappline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Someone told me that extracting the OTP was not necessary for me and that it was optional. why is this? and if it is, why do ppl still extract the OTP if its not necessary. Again I'm on 4.4 with Gateway if this helps.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Someone told me that extracting the OTP was not necessary for me and that it was optional. why is this? and if it is, why do ppl still extract the OTP if its not necessary. Again I'm on 4.4 with Gateway if this helps.

That someone is lying. You NEED the OTP.

Zappline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaah Im starting to get really frustrated here, Maybe I should just skip this for now and try to install AuRaiNAND or something. Don't know it that would work with gateway or anything like that.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It all sounds really nice. Does it have an in-game cheat menu? With scanning of values & finding addresses on your own? Like Gateway does.
I was also hoping that it solved the DS game issue. Like with flash cards, you need TWO cards, one for 3DS and one for DS.
I assumed that CFW had solved this issue by now & you could just dump all your DS & 3DS games in one folder & choose what you want to play.

Mehhhhhhhhh giving up my microSD card slot & having to depend 100% on just my SD card is a deal breaker for me.
I like having all my .CIA files on my SD card & all my .3DS rom files on my microSD.
I guess I will just wait for that Gateway update you mentioned.

Thanks for the info bro.
You can use NTR CFW along with another CFW for cheats. I believe there is a plugin that lets you use the same cheat code format Gateway does. I'm not sure about scanning and finding values, I've never actually used the cheat function myself.

There's still no way currently to run DS roms without a DS flashcart, through CFW or not unfortunately.

P

PaiiNSteven

How would I get GodMode9 to run through a9lh aureinand? Since the HB launcher doesnt work anymore with kernal access homebrew, how would I do this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.