• Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I have two o3ds systems. One is already setup via Gateway and works great for backups. The other however is not setup and is on 6.0.0-11U firmware (been saving it as a second system).

I'm wanting to finally get around to getting a custom firmware solution on the second o3ds. I also own OoT and Cubic Ninja. I'm wanting to install an emunand like Gateway but have it not require a Gateway card (so loading off the SD instead of the microSD in the Gateway cart), so that my niece can download and play whatever games she likes just as I can on my Gateway system.

I didn't pay attention when cfw started blowing up earlier this year, having a Gateway already, and now I'm overwhelmed by what is what and what should be used. So what is the general cfw to go with for installing .cia or booting ROMs from the SD card with emunand?

Thanks!

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey all,

I have two o3ds systems. One is already setup via Gateway and works great for backups. The other however is not setup and is on 6.0.0-11U firmware (been saving it as a second system).

I'm wanting to finally get around to getting a custom firmware solution on the second o3ds. I also own OoT and Cubic Ninja. I'm wanting to install an emunand like Gateway but have it not require a Gateway card (so loading off the SD instead of the microSD in the Gateway cart), so that my niece can download and play whatever games she likes just as I can on my Gateway system.

I didn't pay attention when cfw started blowing up earlier this year, having a Gateway already, and now I'm overwhelmed by what is what and what should be used. So what is the general cfw to go with for installing .cia or booting ROMs from the SD card with emunand?

Thanks!

Choose rxTools. Good for your console and firmware and it's easy to use.
Use your Gateway card to set up most things and follow this guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867
Here's the latest version: http://lavanoid.no-ip.org

Reactions: Celice

Virosa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What firmware version are you using?

First i'd verify that your SD isn't fake.
Download & run H2testw > Write / Verify all available space > sit back and wait.

If it finishes without problems i'd try formatting the mSD with the 3DS > placing the launcher.dat in the root of the SD for whichever Gateway version you're using > try again.
Even the original doesn't work. Anyways i did it anyways and they're all "legit".
Would of been silly if Nintendo sold me invalid SD cards lol.
I got all my stuff from Newegg and Bestbuy. Even my 64gb that i got from amazon validate with;
Test finished without errors.
Reading speed: 42.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Its not working on SD cards when it used to work on all of them. This worked for quite a while perfectly and i have many SD card so... =/

For using the Nintendo itself to format the SD card. Tried that as well.

To get this strait. I'm using the red cart, i drop the launcher.dat from, this time around, GW_Ultra_3.4.1 folder to my 3DS's sd card. And then i run the exploit, which find the launcher.dat just fine, which load it just fine, but after all that, when Gateway mode is supposed to boot, it doesn't. The 3DS freeze.

Last edited by Virosa,

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Even the original doesn't work. Anyways i did it anyways and they're all "legit".
Would of been silly if Nintendo sold me invalid SD cards lol.
I got all my stuff from Newegg and Bestbuy. Even my 64gb that i got from amazon validate with;
Test finished without errors.
Reading speed: 42.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Its not working on SD cards when it used to work on all of them. This worked for quite a while perfectly and i have many SD card so... =/

For using the Nintendo itself to format the SD card. Tried that as well.

To get this strait. I'm using the red cart, i drop the launcher.dat from, this time around, GW_Ultra_3.4.1 folder to my 3DS's sd card. And then i run the exploit, which find the launcher.dat just fine, which load it just fine, but after all that, when Gateway mode is supposed to boot, it doesn't. The 3DS freeze.

Reformat your Emunand or you could also test launching Gateway Sysnand by holding [ B ] > [A] To launch Emunand > confirm with [X].
If it launches Gateways Sysnand, then it's your Emunand that's corrupt or your lack of Emunand on the SD card.

Virosa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reformat your Emunand or you could also test launching Gateway Sysnand by holding [ B ] > [A] To launch Emunand > confirm with [X].
If it launches Gateways Sysnand, then it's your Emunand that's corrupt or your lack of Emunand on the SD card.

Well i cant boot Gateway mode so i can't get to format Emunand from the go.gateway url method, holding B then doesn't so anything and so i'M not sure where you want me to do this.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i cant boot Gateway mode so i can't get to format Emunand from the go.gateway url method, holding B then doesn't so anything and so i'M not sure where you want me to do this.

You said it found the Launcher.dat just fine. So I assumed you meant you were able to launch into Gateway menu - Are you holding [L] at launch to try to enter the menu?

Virosa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You said it found the Launcher.dat just fine. So I assumed you meant you were able to launch into Gateway menu - Are you holding [L] at launch to try to enter the menu?

Whether i do L to go to menu or nothing to just boot in gateway mode, the screen stay black after the launcher.dat is loaded. Maybe i should of just taken a video back then but basically...

-I go to url
-Launcher.dat loaded...
-Screen flash with rainbow pixels
-Screen turn black instead of immediately loading menu or the home system in Gateway mode. It stays black, forever. I can't access the menu or any form of gateway mode through that exploit.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether i do L to go to menu or nothing to just boot in gateway mode, the screen stay black after the launcher.dat is loaded. Maybe i should of just taken a video back then but basically...

-I go to url
-Launcher.dat loaded...
-Screen flash with rainbow pixels
-Screen turn black instead of immediately loading menu or the home system in Gateway mode. It stays black, forever. I can't access the menu or any form of gateway mode through that exploit.

Well i'm stumped atm then.
You've likely already cleared your web browsers cookies / history, though i'm not sure if that'd be a cause or not (Browser being uncleared).

Virosa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i'm stumped atm then.
You've likely already cleared your web browsers cookies / history, though i'm not sure if that'd be a cause or not (Browser being uncleared).
Thats indeed not it, i tried using my own webserver to load the exploit too.

Is there a way to boot gateway mode with the blue card? I'm not sure what the blue card does. Maybe its the red card thats broken? Ugh.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats indeed not it, i tried using my own webserver to load the exploit too.

Is there a way to boot gateway mode with the blue card? I'm not sure what the blue card does. Maybe its the red card thats broken? Ugh.

You could check the contacts on the mSD / Gateway to make sure they're not corroded (film on them), place a piece of electrical tape ontop of the mSD incase it's not making proper contact with the pins inside of the Gateway as well.

There's no way to launch Gateway with the Blue.

Virosa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could check the contacts on the mSD / Gateway to make sure they're not corroded (film on them), place a piece of electrical tape ontop of the mSD incase it's not making proper contact with the pins inside of the Gateway as well.

There's no way to launch Gateway with the Blue.

100% Pristine Gold. Tried the tape anyways. Same result. Is there anything i can slap on the red gateway's sd? Afaik there's nothing to put there. If not is there another launcher.dat for another mode to fix this stuff?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100% Pristine Gold. Tried the tape anyways. Same result. Is there anything i can slap on the red gateway's sd? Afaik there's nothing to put there. If not is there another launcher.dat for another mode to fix this stuff?

It's unlikely to be the 3DS' pins / reader, placing a piece of tape over the mSD for a flashcart works sometimes since the build quality is fairly cheap with flashcarts.

Other than the web based exploit, there's the profile exploit for an O3DS on firmware 4.x.
I'm not familiar with the O3DS though, someone else would have to help you out.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. :|

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a 3DS recently, and I've never been in the 3DS scene before. Would it be appropriate to get a Supercard DSTWO if I wanted to play regular DS games and GBA games?

If you have a 9.2 or less firmware dont buy it, you can play GBA games at full speed and perfect sound by installing a patched AGB firm, you can play other emulators too like NES, SNES, etc for free at 9.2 or less by installing CIA exploitable games.

DSTWO has pretty good compatibility for GBA games but is not %100 perfect and you still need some frameskiping to play many games at fluid speeds, it has some others emulators that can be used on it but you can still play some other emulators with all the hacks that scene has been providing all the way to 10.1 without spending more money for them.

But no matter what you will still need an R4 card type to play DS games, there is no way around it.

I have a 9.2 3DS, so I use AGB firm for perfect GBA games and bought an R4i ($15) to play DS games, that's better then imperfect GBA for $45. But again after 9.2 GBA emulation isn't any better than DSTWO.

Antiheld

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there,

I have a New 3DS XL and an R4i which plays DS games just perfectly.

I wanted to geht a NDS.file of Dr. Mario but since this game was a DSi-game, there are no nds.files of it. Is there any way to get dsi games and play them from my flashcard on my 3DS?

What do I have to do to make this happen? Which files do I need?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse