Hacking 3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

• Thread starter Cyan
  • Start date
  • Views 4,514,343
  • Replies 53,796
  • Likes 43

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well Gateway itself is very finicky and doesn't have a 100% boot rate. You should be able to access the Gateway menu though.

Yeah now that you say it, trying it once more worked and I'm dumping Starfox 64 3D as a test right now, thanks! :D

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend you just set up Emunand stuff first since you are going to have to set up Nnid in the other case

Thanks. I wasn't even really thinking when I asked the question, lol. It would make sense that I should just wait until after I'm finished with everything and then do it on the emunand, because entering it on the sysnand is pointless as it will be on 9.2 anyway. Correct?

YyAoMmIi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I wasn't even really thinking when I asked the question, lol. It would make sense that I should just wait until after I'm finished with everything and then do it on the emunand, because entering it on the sysnand is pointless as it will be on 9.2 anyway. Correct?
Yes

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I format sysnand to unlink my NANDs, will I get to keep the eshop (games I bought) stuff on it or do I have to download it again?

YyAoMmIi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I format sysnand to unlink my NANDs, will I get to keep the eshop (games I bought) stuff on it or do I have to download it again?
You can keep if you do things correctly
1) Back up your nand before you unlink with emuNAND9, as well as copy the Nintendo 3ds folder in your sd card
2) give to system format, take out sd card before you system format
3) put sd card back in when you boot 3ds, this unlink your nand
4) use the program emunand tool vs 1.0.1 (not 1.0.3), inject the nand you backed up in step 1. This make sure the nand in emunand is the same as your original
5) merge your backed up Nintendo 3ds folder in step 1 with the new nintendo 3ds folder. Note, look inside the Nintendo 4ds folder. The folder that was in step 1 is your emunand while that one after unlink is your sysnand

Reactions: Xexyz

Xexyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can keep if you do things correctly
1) Back up your nand before you unlink with emuNAND9, as well as copy the Nintendo 3ds folder in your sd card
2) give to system format, take out sd card before you system format
3) put sd card back in when you boot 3ds, this unlink your nand
4) use the program emunand tool vs 1.0.1 (not 1.0.3), inject the nand you backed up in step 1. This make sure the nand in emunand is the same as your original
5) merge your backed up Nintendo 3ds folder in step 1 with the new nintendo 3ds folder. Note, look inside the Nintendo 4ds folder. The folder that was in step 1 is your emunand while that one after unlink is your sysnand
Thanks that worked. So I can only play my eShop games in emunand?

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got a bunch of questions! So, I tested out downgrading by using my friend's old 3DS. I got RxTools and emunand set up and everything is working great. He had just done a system transfer and moved all his stuff to a New 3DS, and so there was no NNID linked to the old 3DS.

If I were to downgrade my New 3DS, I would need to unlink my NNID, correct? And then link it to emunand after downgrading and installing CFW?

If I do all of this, will I still be able to access all the games I bought from the eShop, and their save files? Will I still be able to use save files for built-in apps? I don't want to lose almost five years of StreetPass tags in my Mii Plaza. Is it possible to have emunand set up exactly like my current 3DS is now?

And finally, is it possible to have emunand on the latest version? Like, can I just use system update to update the emunand to 10.3, so I can still use the eShop and play games online?

All of this stuff is very complicated and the amount of work I'd need to put into it to be able to keep using things the way I've been using them, and still access the eShop, is a lot more than what I've become used to. Currently I use Ironhax on 10.3 and I've been able to use my 3DS completely normally apart from booting up homebrew, which is simple.

YyAoMmIi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks that worked. So I can only play my eShop games in emunand?
Yes
If I were to downgrade my New 3DS, I would need to unlink my NNID, correct? And then link it to emunand after downgrading and installing CFW?
Yes
Regarding the NNID, follow this tutorial,
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-access-nnid-and-eshop-on-9-5-0-23-emunand.407714/
If you get an 022-2634 error in NNID, see about. Page 24 for solution.
If I do all of this, will I still be able to access all the games I bought from the eShop, and their save files? Will I still be able to use save files for built-in apps? I don't want to lose almost five years of StreetPass tags in my Mii Plaza. Is it possible to have emunand set up exactly like my current 3DS is now?
Yes, see my response to the question above yours
And finally, is it possible to have emunand on the latest version? Like, can I just use system update to update the emunand to 10.3, so I can still use the eShop and play games online?
Nope, 9,5 is the latest on N3DS due to new security
Playing games online doesn't depends on that though.
Eshop is answer earlier, as that tutorial explain how to spoof.

Xexyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes

Yes
Regarding the NNID, follow this tutorial,
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-access-nnid-and-eshop-on-9-5-0-23-emunand.407714/
If you get an 022-2634 error in NNID, see about. Page 24 for solution.

Yes, see my response to the question above yours

Nope, 9,5 is the latest on N3DS due to new security
Playing games online doesn't depends on that though.
Eshop is answer earlier, as that tutorial explain how to spoof.

So if I understand everything correctly, I should do this, then?
  1. Downgrade to 9.2
  2. Set up CFW and emuNAND
  3. Backup emuNAND
  4. Backup the microSD card's Nintendo 3DS folder to my computer
  5. Format emuNAND, which will unlink my NNID
  6. Restore emuNAND
  7. Put the Nintendo 3DS folder back on my SD card
  8. Update emuNAND to 9.5 and enable eShop, with the instructions from the link you gave me
Then sysNAND would be on 9.2, emuNAND would be on 9.5, but would be set up how my 3DS is right now, and I could install CIAs and also access the eShop. Games that require a higher firmware than 9.5 to load would need to be patched or opened with HANS.

Is this right? I want to make sure I understand everything before I do any of it.

Xexyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I understand everything correctly, I should do this, then?
  1. Downgrade to 9.2
  2. Set up CFW and emuNAND
  3. Backup emuNAND
  4. Backup the microSD card's Nintendo 3DS folder to my computer
  5. Format emuNAND, which will unlink my NNID
  6. Restore emuNAND
  7. Put the Nintendo 3DS folder back on my SD card
  8. Update emuNAND to 9.5 and enable eShop, with the instructions from the link you gave me
Then sysNAND would be on 9.2, emuNAND would be on 9.5, but would be set up how my 3DS is right now, and I could install CIAs and also access the eShop. Games that require a higher firmware than 9.5 to load would need to be patched or opened with HANS.

Is this right? I want to make sure I understand everything before I do any of it.
Right after you downgrade, backup your NAND with Emunand9.

Xexyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be so that if I mess up emuNAND I can start over and make a new emuNAND with that backup, right?

Does everything else sound right? Am I missing any steps?
Yes and if you hardbrick your 3DS. There's more but I forgot, but it's necessary to backup.

Xexyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the 3DS is bricked, how would I restore that backup?

Thank you for your help by the way!
If it becomes hardbricked (can't do anything at all), you would have to mod your 3DS physically to restore the backup. You can either do this yourself or let other people do it.

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
If it becomes hardbricked (can't do anything at all), you would have to mod your 3DS physically to restore the backup. You can either do this yourself or let other people do it.

Alright. What would happen if you tried to restore a NAND backup to a different 3DS? I'm assuming that wouldn't work?

So, it's still possible to install CIAs after updating emuNAND, either to 10.3 on an old 3DS, or 9.5 on a New 3DS. What would happen if the sysNAND gets updated?

Xexyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. What would happen if you tried to restore a NAND backup to a different 3DS? I'm assuming that wouldn't work?

So, it's still possible to install CIAs after updating emuNAND, either to 10.3 on an old 3DS, or 9.5 on a New 3DS. What would happen if the sysNAND gets updated?
For the first question, it wouldn't work because IIRC NANDs are tied to the console itself. You should still be able to install CIAs. And if you update your sysnand you need to downgrade again, because rxTools only works up to 9.2

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
For the first question, it wouldn't work because IIRC NANDs are tied to the console itself. You should still be able to install CIAs. And if you update your sysnand you need to downgrade again, because rxTools only works up to 9.2

Okay. Once I've got emuNAND set up after downgrading to 9.2, what should I use to update it to 9.5? Updating in System Settings would bring me to 10.3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.