• Replies 53,765
  • Likes 43

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ahh, I see. So I would only be able to play cartridge games with a Sky3DS? That's what the flashcart comparison chart on the wiki said, but then I saw some things about .cia files, and then I got confused again...

CIA can only be installed on consoles with firmware 9.2 or below as well. At least for now.
If you want to play roms, you really have no other alternative other than Sky3DS. And even though Sky3DS isn't region free by itself, since you can run the homebrew loader, you can also run the region free homebrew which allows you to play out of region roms with your Sky3DS.

There's more than a few disadvantages with Sky3DS though but like I said, you don't really have much choice unless you get a new console with exploitable firmware.

sharkygrin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIA can only be installed on consoles with firmware 9.2 or below as well. At least for now.
If you want to play roms, you really have no other alternative other than Sky3DS. And even though Sky3DS isn't region free by itself, since you can run the homebrew loader, you can also run the region free homebrew which allows you to play out of region roms with your Sky3DS.

There's more than a few disadvantages with Sky3DS though but like I said, you don't really have much choice unless you get a new console with exploitable firmware.
Well it looks like I'm pretty boxed in here... Buying a new console is pretty cost-prohibitive, especially considering that there's no way to tell if a console is running one of the lower firmware versions... But since it seems like the only disadvantage to a Sky3DS is the inability to play eShop-exclusive games, I think I'll just go with one of those!

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it looks like I'm pretty boxed in here... Buying a new console is pretty cost-prohibitive, especially considering that there's no way to tell if a console is running one of the lower firmware versions... But since it seems like the only disadvantage to a Sky3DS is the inability to play eShop-exclusive games, I think I'll just go with one of those!

There is a way to tell the console firmware before you purchase it. You look at the serial code.

sharkygrin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting! But isn't it possible that a previous owner upgraded the firmware? Or can certain consoles not be updated past a certain point, like the iDevices?

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Interesting! But isn't it possible that a previous owner upgraded the firmware? Or can certain consoles not be updated past a certain point, like the iDevices?

That's if the 3DS is used. If it's brand new, then you use the serial number found on the 3DS box to tell which firmware it's on.

Serton

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone,I've got a 9.0.0-20E old 3ds XL.
I've got no DS flashcart and I have no exploitable games(well I've got ocarina of time but i want kernel access)
What I wanted to do is install rx tools but I have never done any hacking to my 3ds and have absolutely 0 experience.
So can anyone provide me the best tutorial?I've seen some on gbatemp but I'm not too sure which one I should follow.
Also I've got no gba/snes/whatever installed on my 3ds.

And a few more questions.
1)Will I have to downgrade my 3ds??
2)Will I be able to play any games to update or am I limited to some some that require up to firmware 6.00?(it was something like that when i looked onto it a year ago I think).
3)Will I be able to backup my games??I got many and I'd like to test 'em with Citra.

I guess that's all I'm gonna do it as soon as I get my microsd

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ (This seems the guide I should follow)

MOHRCORE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright, first post woo
So I bought a 3ds xl about a month ago. It's running 9.9 firmware. I installed the homebrew launcher, and have been having fun with some of the little utilities and stuff available for it. However, I'd like to get a flashcart so I can get some free games. People seem to be saying that you can only use flashcarts with firmware 9.2 or below, but in some more recent posts people are saying it's safe to update to the 9.9 firmware or even the 10.0 firmware. So, before I blow 60-70 dollars on a flashcart, I just want to make sure that I can use the thing.
TL;DR: I'm on 9.9, can I use a flashcart to play 3ds roms? What flashcarts work?

Don't buy a flashcart. It's safe to update emuNAND not sysNAND. Currently there's no way to play backups with FW > 9.2. Also if it changes, check out free alternatives like rxTools, before buying flashcard.

EDIT: Sky3DS can do the trick.

Gregora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the guy at gamestop check some based on serial.

There's no store policy for that, you just have to find someone bored!

When I bought my n3DS, the woman who rang me up was all chill about it and said that they've had people in the past who do such things. She was super helpful and chill. Sadly enough, the location closed down sometime between then (early April) and the last time I was around (early August).

Hello everyone,I've got a 9.0.0-20E old 3ds XL.
I've got no DS flashcart and I have no exploitable games(well I've got ocarina of time but i want kernel access)
What I wanted to do is install rx tools but I have never done any hacking to my 3ds and have absolutely 0 experience.
So can anyone provide me the best tutorial?I've seen some on gbatemp but I'm not too sure which one I should follow.
Also I've got no gba/snes/whatever installed on my 3ds.

And a few more questions.
1)Will I have to downgrade my 3ds??
2)Will I be able to play any games to update or am I limited to some some that require up to firmware 6.00?(it was something like that when i looked onto it a year ago I think).
3)Will I be able to backup my games??I got many and I'd like to test 'em with Citra.

I guess that's all I'm gonna do it as soon as I get my microsd

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ (This seems the guide I should follow)

Sounds like you lucked out. You don't need an exploitable game because your web browser is exploitable (assuming you have it; pretty sure the -20 means that you have a browser). You can install things like rxtools completely through the browser exploit so you don't need to worry about downgrading. And through rxtools, you can use FBI to install things like multipatcher which makes it so that you don't need to worry about ever updating and most emuNAND (which you can also set up via web browser exploit) also has firmware spoofing for games. I can't really go into detail because I've never done any of that with the web browser exploit - I mostly used pkhex and then got talked into updating the system rather than set up an emuNAND and stuff.

Edit:
Made this edit so I didn't double-post.

I've asked this in the FBI thread the other day and since I haven't heard back from anyone since, I've decided to come here. I booted into reiNAND and then used ninjhax 1.1b to start up the latest version of FBI. However, whenever I try to install .cia files, I get an error message which reads thus:

Install failed!
(name of cia file)
Source: SOURCE_APP_BEGIN_INSTALL (0x5)
Module: MODULE_NN_US (0x6)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0x1b)
Summary: SUMMARY_WRONG_ARGUMENT (0x8)
Description: <unknown) (0x2f)

Any help is appreciated since I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by Gregora,

Enaske

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey,

so while in EmuNand I use HomePass. It seems he downloaded a SystemUpdate via it. (Hope for EmuNand)

any way to delete this Update files from my System?

link1010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I accidentally just hit the update button while in emunand and now I can't access my games via the browser exploit; after the gateway screen I'm only greeted with black.

Is there a way to go back without risking the integrity of my games?

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I accidentally just hit the update button while in emunand and now I can't access my games via the browser exploit; after the gateway screen I'm only greeted with black.

This is peculiar. A lot of people are running the newest update. Did you turn the system off while it was accidentally updating?

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

You probably have a N3DS, right?
Emunand support for the N3DS is only up to 9.5. Since you updated emunand to the latest firmware, you get a blackscreen.
If you have a backup of emunand, you can restore it with emunandtool. If not, you'll need to format emunand again.

Razzyness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im having cia install troubles. I have enough space on my sd card but everytime I try to install a cia now it just fails, i've tried with really small games to 4 gb games and just install fails.
Ive used fbi and bigbluemenu to install :(

Stantz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm using 2DS with 10.0 emuNAND and rxTools. The problem I have is with GBA .cia games such as Pokemon Fire Red, I've tried installing it to both sys and emunand and every time I try to launch it - it gives me "Error has occurred" message. I'm trying to launch it from emunand, while having it installed in both.
I did AGB_FIRM step as described in here https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-agb_firm-signature-patcher-gba-rom-converter.390313/ and it still gives me nothing.

Edit: Solved it! To anyone having the same problem:
You need to install both pokemon games in emunand and sysnand BUT if you do it just from the FBI in emunand (meaning you install pokemon 2 times once in emunand other in sysnand) it won't work that way.
I had to first inject FBI into sysnand, then boot rxtools into Sysnand, and finally install pokemon via FBI in sysnand. And only then it works both in sysnand and emunand and I just play from emunand.

No idea why it didn't work before but there you go.

Last edited by Stantz,

BlackAngel5

Trophies
Website
sasugasugoi.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
More noob questions!
So I know that setting up the emunand will delete everything off my SD card so I need to just leave only the launcher.dat on it, but after I set up the emunand and put my old files back in place, will the downloaded games still work as normal? (Don't want to lose the games/saves that I already paid for)

(O3DS btw in case it matters)

BlackAngel5

Trophies
Website
sasugasugoi.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that setting up emunand through rxtools doesn't format the system but I might be wrong.

I'm setting up emunand through gateway. Well, here goes nothing :D

UPDATE: Just realized the latest system firmware is 10.0-27 and gateways updated emunand is only to 9.9....is it safe to update on emunand? :$

MOAR EDIT: here goes nothing again.

Annnd success! :grog: cheers. I did lose my games on my sysnand though :( It was only one but still bummed about losing the save data. Oh vell

Last edited by BlackAngel5,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi