• Likes 43

diowolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh shit 9.9....my condolences :P
Sell your 3DS to some poor fool and get a 9.0!

I could've gotten an XL with that fw but I chose a N3DS cuz I really wanted to play Xenoblades.

A public header is a public header, if just one other person goes online at the same time you can be temp banned. - See http://gbatemp.net/threads/error-code-002-0102-have-i-been-banned.380654/page-168#post-5656476 & his next post.

Beyond 9.2, no.

Thanks for the info.

I've seen some people selling their headers, I don't know how reliable this is or if you need one for
every game, but that's another option...

I bet they sell one header for like 5 people.

DrDuck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys - New to the site, but been in DS/PSP modding long enough to know these will be annoying and already answered questions - but the scene and firmwares are so fast paced I want to make sure I do the right thing before spending money.

I got a 3DS yesterday as it was cheap cheap cheap (£25) - wouldn't have one otherwise, it came with the latest firmware 9.9.0-26E - so I know my options are limited, I just want to say what I think is right and see if people can confirm for me.

The only option I have on this firmware for a compatible flashcart is the Sky3DS and its clones - correct?

I believe I'm too high up the firmware levels to set up emunand and currently there's no way to work around that (no downgrade, no exploit) - correct?

Ninjahax doesn't work on this firmware model, but if I understand correctly, and this is likely my key question - Can I use some combination of Sky3DS and Cubic Ninja to acheive custom firmware? I'd really like to get onto the homebrew scene, but as I understand it, I think I'm out of luck - correct?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys - New to the site, but been in DS/PSP modding long enough to know these will be annoying and already answered questions - but the scene and firmwares are so fast paced I want to make sure I do the right thing before spending money.

I got a 3DS yesterday as it was cheap cheap cheap (£25) - wouldn't have one otherwise, it came with the latest firmware 9.9.0-26E - so I know my options are limited, I just want to say what I think is right and see if people can confirm for me.

The only option I have on this firmware for a compatible flashcart is the Sky3DS and its clones - correct?

I believe I'm too high up the firmware levels to set up emunand and currently there's no way to work around that (no downgrade, no exploit) - correct?

Ninjahax doesn't work on this firmware model, but if I understand correctly, and this is likely my key question - Can I use some combination of Sky3DS and Cubic Ninja to acheive custom firmware? I'd really like to get onto the homebrew scene, but as I understand it, I think I'm out of luck - correct?

Yes, Sky3ds is your only option
No emunand, no downgrade
Ninjhax 2.1 will work with your firmware, no to cfw, homebrew with Ninjhax 2.1 though.

DrDuck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, Sky3ds is your only option
No emunand, no downgrade
Ninjhax 2.1 will work with your firmware, no to cfw, homebrew with Ninjhax 2.1 though.

Thanks this is what I thought.

So just to be very clear - I can get homebrew right now, using Ninjahax 2.1 beta, and a copy of Cubic Ninja? If so, you've just made my day :)

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks this is what I thought.

So just to be very clear - I can get homebrew right now, using Ninjahax 2.1 beta, and a copy of Cubic Ninja? If so, you've just made my day :)

Cubic Ninja or Sky3ds emulating Cubic Ninja.
Either will allow you to use Ninjhax 2 for homebrew.

SleepingGuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2ds 9.2.0-20U and sky2ds red button(old one) now which cfw can I install that is like psp simply add the roms on sd card? Also how can I get custom boot animations?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2ds 9.2.0-20U and sky2ds red button(old one) now which cfw can I install that is like psp simply add the roms on sd card? Also how can I get custom boot animations?

The 3DS/2DS isn't the PSP, you're not going to get custom boot animations nor drag and drop games (Unless you use a Gateway flashchart; even then it's not the same)
There is no coldboot -> cfw. You'll need to boot up the cfw each time you turn the 2DS on, not a big deal though.

With cfw you'll need to drop a game in .cia format onto your 2DS' SD then install it with a title manager. Afterwords you can remove the cia file.

Best cfw for a 2DS is rxTools.

SleepingGuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS/2DS isn't the PSP, you're not going to get custom boot animations nor drag and drop games (Unless you use a Gateway flashchart; even then it's not the same)
There is no coldboot -> cfw. You'll need to boot up the cfw each time you turn the 2DS on, not a big deal though.

With cfw you'll need to drop a game in .cia format onto your 2DS' SD then install it with a title manager. Afterwords you can remove the cia file.

Best cfw for a 2DS is rxTools.
thanks usernametaken, so even in the future, no custom boot animations ever?

SleepingGuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doubtful.
So um I visied the rxtools thread, which linked me to the site and viewing the Setting up rxTools using browser for 9.2 3ds, i downloaded 2.6
it says to Copy both rxTools.dat and firmware.bin to root, I only see rxtools.dat no bin.
I'm a bit confused on what to do? I don't need gateway or Sky?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So um I visied the rxtools thread, which linked me to the site and viewing the Setting up rxTools using browser for 9.2 3ds, i downloaded 2.6
it says to Copy both rxTools.dat and firmware.bin to root, I only see rxtools.dat no bin.
I'm a bit confused on what to do? I don't need gateway or Sky?

Questions regarding rxTools should be asked in its thread, but:

To make it work, you need to put the firmware.bin file in the root of your sdcard, just like rxTools.dat; the problem is that it contains material protected by copyright, so it's illegal to share this file, though we can legally download it from the Nintendo CDN. I included a simple tool that does it for you (with sources) : click on cdn_firm.exe and it will download the file for you.

You can set it up without a Gateway / Sky3ds flashcart.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
I love it, so do I launch in emunand or Sysnand? or something else?

If you get RXtools running, then you can launch CIAs from emunand after installing them and .3DS from the
Sky3DS on Sysnand. I would just use CIAs if I where you and sell the Sky3DS

Also make sure you backup sysnand, if you accidentally install something on Sysnand or update Sysnand
instead of emunand you will brick the 2DS

SleepingGuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get RXtools running, then you can launch CIAs from emunand after installing them and .3DS from the
Sky3DS on Sysnand. I would just use CIAs if I where you and sell the Sky3DS

Also make sure you backup sysnand, if you accidentally install something on Sysnand or update Sysnand
instead of emunand you will brick the 2DS
I have red button sky3ds(the unfaithful one) yes i will sell it
usernametaken said "With cfw you'll need to drop a game in .cia format onto your 2DS' SD then install it with a title manager. Afterwords you can remove the cia file."
So i change it .cia put in the root and then(here i get lost) install it with title manager
-
Also in the tutorial link that led to this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ I followed all the steps got the fbi app on the menu

Last edited by SleepingGuru,

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
I have red button sky3ds(the unfaithful one) yes i will sell it
usernametaken said "With cfw you'll need to drop a game in .cia format onto your 2DS' SD then install it with a title manager. Afterwords you can remove the cia file."
So i change it .cia put in the root and then(here i get lost) install it with title manager
-
Also in the tutorial link that led to this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ I followed all the steps got the fbi app on the menu

Oh you need to install Bigblue Menu (or use FBI). That's what he means by title manager. The CIA file is a self installer file just like when you download from the eShop and you get a small gift, but you need to run Big Blue Menu, then go to your root folder where the CIA is
and then install it. (You'll get the little gift) Then you can remove the CIA file from your MicroSD since it already installed the game into
Emunand.

Also make sure you install into Emunand installing into Sysnand is dangerous.

CFW on 3DS is really confusing and since most people here are so used to all the tools and software they forget new people
have no idea what they're talking about.

and what do you mean you got the FBI app on the menu? do you have RXtools Emunand running yet? You can use FBI instead of big blue menu, that's your CIA installer

Last edited by Zeriel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1