• Views 4,474,311
  • Replies 53,776
  • Likes 43

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I think I got emunand up and running now. I do have questions about CIA files though. I was reading a guide which said I could format my 3ds without the SD card in it, (and then reinstall the blue card exploit) which will "seperate" sysnand and emunand which would then fix the gift box bug and let me go to data management without deleting everything I installed. What's the gift box bug and is this procedure recommended?

Also, do I need to customize each cia file for my system? Or are CIA files universal for each 3ds without modification?
Lastly, since CIA files are installed on the SD card, I think I might need to upgrade my current one. Is it ok to just drag and drop everything from my old SD card to my new one? Or since emunand is on a different partition, I'm guessing I need to reinstall emunand on a new SD card?
If the nands are linked (using the same ID, which happens by default since the emuNand is a complete copy of sysNand), then installed CIAs will show up as "new" every time you boot, causing you to have to "unwrap" them. The sysNand will see the installed CIAs as garbage/junk data because it fails the signature check, so if you go into Data Management, it'll clear it out and delete it without any warning. I personally recommend unlinking them, but there are more guides on the subject. I believe having them linked allows you to do a couple things you can't do once they're unlinked, but I don't know the details.

CIAs can be installed without modification, but most will require the signature check to be disabled, and as such will only run in Gateway Mode. Normally, software downloaded through the eShop is signed with a key specific to your system. CIAs installed will lack that key, though. (There is a subset known as "Universal" or "Legit" that uses a universal key, software that comes pre-installed on certain systems will have this trait, and as such can run without signature checks disabled. CIAs you personally make from legitimately-purchased software you've downloaded will have a valid signature as well, though it won't work for anyone else.)

The emuNand resides on a partition that isn't visible in Explorer, because Windows doesn't know how to read and write to it. The easiest way that I know of is to use the emuNand Tool to back up your emuNand, use the Gateway Launcher to format/setup emuNand on the new card, then use the emuNand Tool to inject the backup onto the new card. Then drag and drop all the files from the old card's FAT32 partition to the new card's, and you should be good to go. That's what I did for my own card, and it worked perfectly.

Kevin578

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation. Is there a way to turn non-legit CIAs into legit ones? Does every game have a legit CIA file somewhere, or do legit CIAs only exist for games that were preinstalled on certain 3ds systems?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation. Is there a way to turn non-legit CIAs into legit ones? Does every game have a legit CIA file somewhere, or do legit CIAs only exist for games that were preinstalled on certain 3ds systems?
Only titles that were preinstalled have versions available with a "universal" signature. The only way to create a universal/legit CIA that would work on every system would require obtaining Nintendo's private keys and signing the titles ourselves, which is... not likely to ever happen. But you can use any CIA you want in Gateway Mode.

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
So I I have a 32 gb micro sd card and a sd card adapter, im putting all the necessary file on it to install cia files but for some weird reason every time I insert the ds card into my 3ds it says " Write Protection is Enables on the Sd card" why is that happening?

Kevin578

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I I have a 32 gb micro sd card and a sd card adapter, im putting all the necessary file on it to install cia files but for some weird reason every time I insert the ds card into my 3ds it says " Write Protection is Enables on the Sd card" why is that happening?
there's a physical switch on SD cards that enable write protection. make sure your switch is set to off

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the quick reply...... yes theres a switch, but its off...... I have another 3ds console that's on 9.5.0-23 when I insert it I don't get that pop up
I vaguely remember some other users having this problem but I don't remember the solution. I think there was a suggestion of using electrical tape on the adapter as to fix a clearance issue. Do you have another adapter you can use? I must have 10' of them.

Also the mSD is formatted as FAT32, correct?

Reactions: Domino101

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
I vaguely remember some other users having this problem but I don't remember the solution. I think there was a suggestion of using electrical tape on the adapter as to fix a clearance issue. Do you have another adapter you can use? I must have 10' of them.

Also the mSD is formatted as FAT32, correct?
thanks for the reply... I jus put a piece of paper behind the adapter in the sdcard slot an ta-da it worked, I have another question.... I have converted Pokemon x from .3ds to .cia it install good on my console but when I try running it I only get to the Nintendo 3ds screen...

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply... I jus put a piece of paper behind the adapter in the sdcard slot an ta-da it worked, I have another question.... I have converted Pokemon x from .3ds to .cia it install good on my console but when I try running it I only get to the Nintendo 3ds screen...
The old Acekard trick strikes again!

Here I go with the fuzzy memory again. I don't play Pokemon but my boys do and I have them installed as 3dz. I think I remember reading there is a problem with them as .cia. I would check on the "other" site and see if you can find a .cia of them as maybe someone worked some geek magic on them. If you get a confirmed working .cia and it still doesn't work on your system you will know your setup is messed and if they do work your .cia process is messed. :)

Is there a running list of card 1 and card 2 games?
I don't thinks so but there are not many card 2 games. Pokemon, animal crossing and maybe one or two others. You can tell when you try and dump the save with gateway you will get an error or a weird file like 0FFFFFF or something like that. Fuzzy memory again. :)

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
The cart only works on dev consoles. And the gateway menu (and therefore the dumper) only works on retail consoles. Are there any unoffical hardware methods? Or other dumping homebrew?

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
Me Again, so ive downloaded pokemon x .cia (legit) from 3dsiso it installs good to the console but when I launch it to play it I get message " The Sd card was removed, Press home button to retun to the home menue" but its not removed cause I could launch Title Manager BigBlueBox after pressing the home button.... help please!!!!

Necate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm trying to use Gateway classic mode to boot up my retail smash bros 4 game but all I get is a black screen.
I'm able to see the game in the home screen and click on it, but following the 3ds logo I'm greeted with a black screen.
I know for ROMs you need a 4+ GB SD card to play such games; do I also need one to play retail Smash 4 as well? My SD Card only holds 2GB atm. Thanks.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, I really wanna know if I can convert a .cia to a .3ds ? I'm asking because the Attack on Titan game was released through eshop making it a .cia but I don't feel comfortable installing games to my 3ds. So I wanna keep it to my GateWay. Everytime I search it up all I get is how to convert .3ds to .cia. The Opposite of what I need

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay guys, I really wanna know if I can convert a .cia to a .3ds ? I'm asking because the Attack on Titan game was released through eshop making it a .cia but I don't feel comfortable installing games to my 3ds. So I wanna keep it to my GateWay. Everytime I search it up all I get is how to convert .3ds to .cia. The Opposite of what I need
here's tutorial :https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-converting-3ds-to-cia-for-dummies.373722/ or you can you use : I personally used the second one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D