• Likes 43

jcd89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
thorasgar said:
The DS mode flashcart is solid and I own 3 of them. Probably the best available at the moment given the DSTwo is unavailable.

Thanks for the answer, is the modchipdirect "R4i 3DS - R4DS WOOD" card is it the same as "R4i Gold 3DS" sold on some other sites from the list on r4ids.cn and if no, which one I should order?

Reactions: Margen67

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answer, is the modchipdirect "R4i 3DS - R4DS WOOD" card is it the same as "R4i Gold 3DS" sold on some other sites from the list on r4ids.cn and if no, which one I should order?
Yes, I bought two from modchipdirect. Watch out for any that say SDHC, those suck.

RJ Sly 95

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to install Ninjhax ever since it was released, by using a Cubic Ninja rom + flashcart but it never worked as the system freezes every time I scan the qr code(yes, it's the right one). I've tried both a usa and an eur rom but none of those worked and I had given up. Now, since I could use ninjhax to run Pasta and therefore Dsiware games, I'd like to make it work...what did I do wrong?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to install Ninjhax ever since it was released, by using a Cubic Ninja rom + flashcart but it never worked as the system freezes every time I scan the qr code(yes, it's the right one). I've tried both a usa and an eur rom but none of those worked and I had given up. Now, since I could use ninjhax to run Pasta and therefore Dsiware games, I'd like to make it work...what did I do wrong?
Otherwise is the camera in functioning order? I was never able to run it because the camera on my o3DS gave an error every time you snapped a shot.

Linkmaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I encountered a rather small issue recently. When I go into the Gateway 3DS menu (Holding R while gateway mode is loading) I'm prompted with a Gateway 3DS Card Update. After the update is completed, I'm asked to press A to exit. I'll press A and am left with a black screen. I've tried declining the update, but I get sent back to EmuNAND. I'm just trying to get into Classic Mode to play my other 3DS carts

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello fellow GBA Temp members. Been a while since posting & being in the scene due to sickness. After 3 1/2 years of long suffering was finally diagnosed with Lyme's Disease back in December of last year. Doing some better now but this disease is tough on the body physically, mentally,& emotionally. Anyhow, glad to be feeling some better finally. I've been reading around here & other sites a bit about what's going on in the 3DS scene now. I've read about the flashcarts available now & the pros & cons for them.

This post is mainly for our teenage son that has a 3DS that was purchased back in 2011. I checked the FW version & it's on Ver. 3.0.0-6U. I think this was an update from late 2011 the last time it was updated. From what I read I need to be on v4.1-4.5 in order to use a flashcart or exploit for a flashcart or am I wrong on that? Basically, what steps do I need to take in order to get a flashcart working? Looks like we're going to go with the Gateway considering all the features available including homebrew which is a must for us. Not just about playing games for our family. We love homebrew option as well.

Also. what size SD card is suggested? I was thinking 32 GB. Could somebody point me to a good tutorial on what we need to do next since we have an older FW version to go along with an older 3DS? Also, are there any flashcarts available that plays both 3DS & regular DS games as well? Or, do we need to use 2 separate cartridges for each? I read from Gateway site that this cart is for only 3DS games. I just need some guidance/assistance because of being out of the scene so long plus there's been so many developments in the past couple of years with flashcarts. Thanks! :)

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I encountered a rather small issue recently. When I go into the Gateway 3DS menu (Holding R while gateway mode is loading) I'm prompted with a Gateway 3DS Card Update. After the update is completed, I'm asked to press A to exit. I'll press A and am left with a black screen. I've tried declining the update, but I get sent back to EmuNAND. I'm just trying to get into Classic Mode to play my other 3DS carts
I am confused. Why are you holding the R trigger and exactly when are you holding it? After you run the exploit and trying to get to the gateway menu? Or after selecting classic mode from the gateway menu?

Again I am really curious why you are holding the R trigger unless it is your intention to update the gateway.

I suppose a little more information about your setup could be helpful, without it we are just guessing.

Hello fellow GBA Temp members. Been a while since posting & being in the scene due to sickness. After 3 1/2 years of long suffering was finally diagnosed with Lyme's Disease back in December of last year. Doing some better now but this disease is tough on the body physically, mentally,& emotionally. Anyhow, glad to be feeling some better finally. I've been reading around here & other sites a bit about what's going on in the 3DS scene now. I've read about the flashcarts available now & the pros & cons for them.

This post is mainly for our teenage son that has a 3DS that was purchased back in 2011. I checked the FW version & it's on Ver. 3.0.0-6U. I think this was an update from late 2011 the last time it was updated. From what I read I need to be on v4.1-4.5 in order to use a flashcart or exploit for a flashcart or am I wrong on that? Basically, what steps do I need to take in order to get a flashcart working? Looks like we're going to go with the Gateway considering all the features available including homebrew which is a must for us. Not just about playing games for our family. We love homebrew option as well.

Also. what size SD card is suggested? I was thinking 32 GB. Could somebody point me to a good tutorial on what we need to do next since we have an older FW version to go along with an older 3DS? Also, are there any flashcarts available that plays both 3DS & regular DS games as well? Or, do we need to use 2 separate cartridges for each? I read from Gateway site that this cart is for only 3DS games. I just need some guidance/assistance because of being out of the scene so long plus there's been so many developments in the past couple of years with flashcarts. Thanks! :)
You are in a good place with your 3ds as all the options are open to you. Your son must not get on the internet much to still beat 3.x, until recently that unit would have fetched a premium on eBay.

You need to get to 4.x fw and can go as high as 9.2, it doesn't make much difference in your situation as I am guessing any retail carts you have were never played on 6.x or higher firmware. For now I would suggest stopping at 4.x as you will not need and Internet connection to run the exploit. You can get there with a retail cart with 4.1-4.5 on it. 3ds.essh.co will list the firmware of the releases, I am sure you can find a used cart for a nominal charge to get you there, shovelware occasionally comes in handy. :)

How big the cards you get depends on ultimately how many games you want to have available. They range from small 128MB to 4GB so it is hard to put a number on it. You have undoubtedly run across the term .cia file that is installed to the internal SD card. These are like eshop games and have several advantages namely the icon is on the home screen and are smaller than a 3DS file that resides on the mSD inside the GW. If money is extemely tight you can get by with using the SD comes with the 3DS and just get a larger mSD for the GW. Personally I use 64GB cards in both slots, but 32 will be fine, the price savings on a 16 is negligible. I get Sandisk Utra or extreme. Or Samsung Evo from Amazon, just make sure it is class 10 or higher.

If online play is desired it is easier to use cia files for those games rather than messing with private headers for .3ds roms.

The blue card that comes with the GW will play DS Roms and is a basic flashcart, an r4i gold may be slightly better but not absolutely necessary. There is not a dual mode card.

Just follow the gateway manual posted on the downloads section of their site and read the stickies here and in the tutorials section and you will be fine.

Ask questions if you get confused and feel free to PM me anytime. Good luck.

Edit: on thing not in the manual is once you create emunand is will be at the same firmware as your sysnand(4.x). At the moment with the O3DS 9.7 emunand is supported so you can upgrade it online with Nintendo. That could change at any moment and then an alternate slightly more complicate method would be used.

Modchipdirect.com is not the cheapest but does ship from the U.S. and has tracking. Make sure you buy from an official reseller listed on the GW site.

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are in a good place with your 3ds as all the options are open to you. Your son must not get on the internet much to still beat 3.x, until recently that unit would have fetched a premium on eBay.

You need to get to 4.x fw and can go as high as 9.2, it doesn't make much difference in your situation as I am guessing any retail carts you have were never played on 6.x or higher firmware. For now I would suggest stopping at 4.x as you will not need and Internet connection to run the exploit. You can get there with a retail cart with 4.1-4.5 on it. 3ds.essh.co will list the firmware of the releases, I am sure you can find a used cart for a nominal charge to get you there, shovelware occasionally comes in handy. :)

How big the cards you get depends on ultimately how many games you want to have available. They range from small 128MB to 4GB so it is hard to put a number on it. You have undoubtedly run across the term .cia file that is installed to the internal SD card. These are like eshop games and have several advantages namely the icon is on the home screen and are smaller than a 3DS file that resides on the mSD inside the GW. If money is extemely tight you can get by with using the SD comes with the 3DS and just get a larger mSD for the GW. Personally I use 64GB cards in both slots, but 32 will be fine, the price savings on a 16 is negligible. I get Sandisk Utra or extreme. Or Samsung Evo from Amazon, just make sure it is class 10 or higher.

If online play is desired it is easier to use cia files for those games rather than messing with private headers for .3ds roms.

The blue card that comes with the GW will play DS Roms and is a basic flashcart, an r4i gold may be slightly better but not absolutely necessary. There is not a dual mode card.

Just follow the gateway manual posted on the downloads section of their site and read the stickies here and in the tutorials section and you will be fine.

Ask questions if you get confused and feel free to PM me anytime. Good luck.

So, basically to get started I need to find a used flashcart with FW 4.1-4.5 on it & update it that way? Online play or access isn't really a necessity because he's never used eshop or anything like that. Just wants to play both 3DS & DS games & some homebrew stuff. I think 32 GB SD card will be plenty.

What's the size of most newer games these days? So, the Gateway will be used for 3DS roms & something like an r4i gold for playing standard DS roms? Or, are you saying the blue card with the Gateway can be used to play DS roms too? I'm a little confused there. Basically what I'm asking is will I need to 2 different flashcarts(swapping back & forth) to play both 3DS & DS roms or Gateway will do both? Thanks again!

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, basically to get started I need to find a used flashcart with FW 4.1-4.5 on it & update it that way? Online play or access isn't really a necessity because he's never used eshop or anything like that. Just wants to play both 3DS & DS games & some homebrew stuff. I think 32 GB SD card will be plenty.

What's the size of most newer games these days? So, the Gateway will be used for 3DS roms & something like an r4i gold for playing standard DS roms? Or, are you saying the blue card with the Gateway can be used to play DS roms too? I'm a little confused there. Basically what I'm asking is will I need to 2 different flashcarts(swapping back & forth) to play both 3DS & DS roms or Gateway will do both? Thanks again!
You can use a retail game cart to update to 4.x not a flashcart. :)

Check the size of the internal SD card you have some are 2GB and that is not enough, 4GB is the practical minimum.

Start with a 32GB mSD and you can always upgrade later if you need.

Game size depends on the content. Smash and Xenoblade (does not run on o3Ds) are large some simpler puzzle games can be very small. I guess you could say average is 500MB(???) maybe 1GB(???).

The blue card that comes with the gateway red card will run DS roms and is required to launch the exploit in 4.x. So no need for an r4 unless there is a feature you want. You run the exploit with the blue card and the switch to the red card to run 3DS roms. You will also need an mSD for the blue card. You can fit 100 or so DS roms on an 8GB card.

Start simple and then increase your knowledge and complexity as the need arises. Remember, backup, backup, backup. This is not commercial software and stuff will go wrong. :)

Reactions: tonybologna

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll want to use the L button when triggering the exploit to reach the Gateway menu, not R. I believe R is the shortcut key to force an update of the card's firmware, which is why you're getting that option instead.

You will need a retail card to update the 3DS system to 4.1-4.5. Once you're there, the blue card that comes with a Gateway can be used to run a DS program to alter the DS profile, allowing you to use the Gateway red card to play 3DS games, emulate a fully-updated system firmware, and everything else. You can also use the blue card to play DS games, too.

I don't have a large collection, but the biggest I've seen for a 3DS game is 4 GB, with quite a few being around 1 GB. A few were as small as 128 MB, but mostly those are smaller puzzle games or retro-style games. I have a 32GB card in my Gateway, and a 32GB card in my system for installed software, and I'm doing perfectly fine for space. I think I had either an 8GB or 16GB card for my old AceKard2i that I repurposed a while back for a roommate's cell phone, and currently I'm using a 2GB card for the DS card, since I hardly play any DS games right now.

You will need two different cards and have to swap between them, but the Gateway will come with both cards, you won't have to buy a separate one. There is a small hassle with playing DS games in that you will likely have to run the exploit installer again (It's an .nds rom on the blue card) when you want to play 3DS games again, but it's a pretty minor issue.

The 3DS stuff is definitely a much steeper learning curve than the DS was. Even the Wii seems pretty simple by comparison, but that might just be because I got used to it (even if I never did get Nand emulation working properly...). I'd be happy to go into more detail about anything you like, to the best of my ability, though.

Reactions: tonybologna

zerox521

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HI. I'm new to the 3ds scene, so I have a noob question. I've got an O3ds on fw 9.6 and I wanted to know, is it possible to downgrade it to 9.2?

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
HI. I'm new to the 3ds scene so I have a noob question. I've got an O3ds on fw 9.6, so I wanted to know, is it possible to downgrade it to 9.2?
Nope. Unless you have a nand backup from when you were on 9.2 and hard mod which I am certain you do not :P

Only option is sky 3ds, or to hope smea decides to make NINJHAX for 9.7.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I attempted a hard NAND mod to restore an updated 3DSXL, but I'm worried because my 3DS continues to display a BSOD even after disconnecting everything. I haven't flashed anything onto it yet, nor could I successfully connect it to my computer.

I disconnected it and now it looks like this:

ul7JNQB.jpg

The BSOD looks like this:
oEYqQtv.jpg

Is this still salvage-able? If it is, is there anyone here who I could have do this for me?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I attempted a hard NAND mod to restore an updated 3DSXL, but I'm worried because my 3DS continues to display a BSOD even after disconnecting everything. I haven't flashed anything onto it yet, nor could I successfully connect it to my computer.

I disconnected it and now it looks like this:

Is this still salvage-able? If it is, is there anyone here who I could have do this for me?
This would be best posted in the hardware sub. I would seek the advise and services of [user]avalynn, hundshamer[/user]. Hardware is where they hang. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof