• Views 4,444,065
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you realize that makes no sense? "Is there a way to run to the store without running?" ???
What do you mean by a "normal" save file? cia files use encrypted saves.

As far as his save question goes, I think he might be asking something along the same lines as my question here:

Got a few more questions.

First, I've been looking around and so far everything seems to point my being more or less screwed atm but what are my options regarding using existing save data from retail carts with CIA versions installed via GW? I have a N3DS on 9.0 and no access to an old 3DS capable of running gateway.

Second, if I want to update CIA versions of games do I need to install each update separately (1.1, then 1.2 then 1.3, etc.) or do I just need to install the most recent update?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as his save question goes, I think he might be asking something along the same lines as my question here:
Whoops look like you didn't get your question answered. If you have cubic Ninja you are in luck. Use ntr cfw and the save game plug in to extract the save from the retail cart and then use savedatafiler to inject that into the cia save. The ntr cfw save game plug in thread should provide all the links and instructions you need. This only works on the n3ds with gateway.

You just need to install the latest update for a game.

Emophia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry I mean A) download something from e shop without upgrading firmware.

I accidentally deleted a game instead of it's demo (dual destinies in this case).

But I fixed my problem just by restoring my whole 3ds from a backup i made earlier. Yay backups!

Reactions: thorasgar

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I mean A) download something from e shop without upgrading firmware.

I accidentally deleted a game instead of it's demo (dual destinies in this case).

But I fixed my problem just by restoring my whole 3ds from a backup i made earlier. Yay backups!
The eshop is not the only source for all the content that is carried on the eshop. :) Most of us shop at the "other" site.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoops look like you didn't get your question answered. If you have cubic Ninja you are in luck. Use ntr cfw and the save game plug in to extract the save from the retail cart and then use savedatafiler to inject that into the cia save. The ntr cfw save game plug in thread should provide all the links and instructions you need. This only works on the n3ds with gateway.

You just need to install the latest update for a game.

Can you access ntr from a rom or cia copy of CubicNinja using GW? I tried once earlier and it glitched, but idk if that was because it wasnt a retail cart, if it was because i was using a scene rom (so null header?) or just a random glitch and i needed to try again (like what occasionally happens when using OoT to boot GW).

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you access ntr from a rom or cia copy of CubicNinja using GW? I tried once earlier and it glitched, but idk if that was because it wasnt a retail cart, if it was because i was using a scene rom (so null header?) or just a random glitch and i needed to try again (like what occasionally happens when using OoT to boot GW).

For NTR 1.x on Old 3DS maybe. NTR2, no.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For NTR 1.x on Old 3DS maybe. NTR2, no.

Bah so basically I'm screwed three ways from Sunday unless I want to spend upwards of $40-$50 again? No way to move retail cart saves to cia so I'm stuck only using the retail carts or roms, and no way to install game updates that work since I can't use cia versions without starting over (not willing to do that atm). Really should have asked this stuff before buying a GW cart...

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah so basically I'm screwed three ways from Sunday unless I want to spend upwards of $40-$50 again? No way to move retail cart saves to cia so I'm stuck only using the retail carts or roms, and no way to install game updates that work since I can't use cia versions without starting over (not willing to do that atm). Really should have asked this stuff before buying a GW cart...
CN can be found for less if you are willing to hunt for it. The price is falling again it is now $35 on Amazon and last week it was $40. eBay still sucks. GameStop official price is $20 and there are still a couple of stores in my area that have it. Get the app not their website. The app is tied directly with their inventory system. Try some of the used game sites like glydecom, 99gamers. Set up alerts for when it comes available.

Lastly remember this is a really dynamic time in the scene and other methods could develop shortly.

Gregora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I'm back in this thread, lol.

I got my Gateway and R4i Save Dongle last night but just started to get things in order. My issue seems to be that I can't get the save dongle to work with my copy of Ocarina of Time. I've seen tutorials and followed along with the updating process for the save dongle, but it just doesn't recognize the cart as Ocarina of Time and whenever I try to upload my save, it fails. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong. :/

Edit: I've found out that I didn't do anything wrong - it was because I wasn't in Safe Mode within Windows 8.1.

But now, I have a new problem: the game sees the inserted save from Gateway as corrupted and deletes it. I will download a new version of the file and try again.

Edit again: I found a working save file on the forums. Yay. Please disregard my post as I've managed to get into the gateway menu and I'm backing up my system nand as my #1 step.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have issue installing ninjhax1.1b
someone else have this problem? it's a known issue?

I previously installed Ninjhax 1.0 without issue (on both my retail card and Gateway EmuNAND+ROM)
I'm now trying to install Ninjhax 1.1b on the ROM's save but the exploit is not memorized in the savegame.

I deleted the 1.0 save file from SD Card to be sure it's not interfering.
I scan QR Code for the EmuNAND version I'm using (9.2.0-20E), it says "installing" then complete and press A to launch exploit.
I can launch HB menu.
When I exit HB Menu, it exits back to sysNAND (shouldn't it go back to EmuNAND?)
After reloading Ninjhax from gateway, it still ask me to scan the QR code instead of launching HB Menu.

maybe a gateway issue? I'm using v2.6
but it worked with ninjhax 1.0

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have issue installing ninjhax1.1b
someone else have this problem? it's a known issue?

I previously installed Ninjhax 1.0 without issue (on both my retail card and Gateway EmuNAND+ROM)
I'm now trying to install Ninjhax 1.1b on the ROM's save but the exploit is not memorized in the savegame.

I deleted the 1.0 save file from SD Card to be sure it's not interfering.
I scan QR Code for the EmuNAND version I'm using (9.2.0-20E), it says "installing" then complete and press A to launch exploit.
I can launch HB menu.
When I exit HB Menu, it exits back to sysNAND (shouldn't it go back to EmuNAND?)
After reloading Ninjhax from gateway, it still ask me to scan the QR code instead of launching HB Menu.

maybe a gateway issue? I'm using v2.6
but it worked with ninjhax 1.0
I am really reaching on this one as I have never used ninjhax. Are there multiple save slots on CN? There are on oot and the exploit actually uses the other slots although they show as empty. This has messed some people up as they think they can use the other slots for real saves. Just a thought.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, there's no multiple slots.
it has a story mode and a level creation mode.
When scanning the QR in the level creating mode it should overwrite the entire save data (rendering story mode unplayable)
Once installed, accessing the QR menu should trigger the exploit, but instead I still have access to that menu with either "Scan QR" or "Display QR of custom levels" choice.

I tried playing levels in story mode, exited, came back and Gateway correctly saved my progress.
I don't know why ninjhax 1.1b is not saved. 1.0 worked fine but we don't have the choice to install old version. (unless using proxy file redirection feature)

Maybe someone with a ninjhax1.1b Gateway's .sav for 9.2.0-20 could share it? I have Cubic Ninja EUR, TitleID 000400000004B300
I'm using .3ds (not .3DZ)
I'll probably ask in the savegame request thread.

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I just read the page for moveable.sed on 3DBrew, and I see it mentioned keyY's. Can one of those be used to decrypt SD card contents, or does the hardware key-scrambler need to be reverse engineered first (as in, this isn't the 'actual' SD decryption key, but is a key that is 'scrambled' using the hardware key, and the result is XORed with the save to partially decrypt it, after which the 'repeating ctr' method can be used to decrypt the save (or something like that, I'm not really knowledgeable about 3DS cryptography. :/ ))?

Chickenhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone!

This has been bugging me for a while and I just had to get some, if not definitive, then at least well informed answers.
This probably has been asked hundreds of times and I tried searching for similar questions/threads, but could not finds anything solid.

Here goes. I want to know if Gateway could/would/will ever support firmware 9.5 (I am on 9.5.0.23) and above. I understand there is no way to know for sure, but what I am more interested in is a reason as to why such a thing is not possible. If it might be what are the obstacles that are slowing them down? Are there any official posts from the Gateway development team on the subject? Any official mention that they are working on it, a time-frame, something? Is there an official Gateway forum?

The reason I want to know is that I want to buy a flashcard and I really don't want to get Sky3DS. The lack of DS game and eShop game support is a big problem for me. Also the lack of a ROM menu is a bit annoying. I am currently living in the UK, but in a month I am going back home to eastern Europe and I don't want to buy from there, because of shipping costs. I was thinking of buying a Gateway card now and waiting until my firmware version is supported, but is there any hope for that?

Informative answers, please. If you are going to say no, at least tell me why.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Because historically it takes them a long time to bring an exploit to market. There has been no word from GW beyond what is on their site. 9.2 and below 3DS are readily available so there is not a huge incentive for them to develop a new exploit at this time. It would not be profitable for them.

If you want a gateway sell your 3DS and buy a 9.2 or below console.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

This has been bugging me for a while and I just had to get some, if not definitive, then at least well informed answers.
This probably has been asked hundreds of times and I tried searching for similar questions/threads, but could not finds anything solid.

Here goes. I want to know if Gateway could/would/will ever support firmware 9.5 (I am on 9.5.0.23) and above. I understand there is no way to know for sure, but what I am more interested in is a reason as to why such a thing is not possible. If it might be what are the obstacles that are slowing them down? Are there any official posts from the Gateway development team on the subject? Any official mention that they are working on it, a time-frame, something? Is there an official Gateway forum?

The reason I want to know is that I want to buy a flashcard and I really don't want to get Sky3DS. The lack of DS game and eShop game support is a big problem for me. Also the lack of a ROM menu is a bit annoying. I am currently living in the UK, but in a month I am going back home to eastern Europe and I don't want to buy from there, because of shipping costs. I was thinking of buying a Gateway card now and waiting until my firmware version is supported, but is there any hope for that?

You can find all of the known (public) 3DS exploits here: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_System_Flaws

Gateway requires both an arm11 kernel exploit and an arm9 kernel exploit to function. The arm11 kernel exploit gateway uses (memchunkhax) was patched after 9.2, so they will be unable to support 9.3+ until a new one is found. In addition to that it would make no business sense for them to use a previously non-public exploit for just a few minor firmware revisions - even if they could support 9.5, they shouldn't. They'll wait until the next exclusive game (like xenoblade) comes out.

The best option is to sell your 9.5 3ds and buy a 9.2 or lower one.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I'm sure there will be people that can explain it better, but from what I understand the three main exploits used to load the gateway launcher.dat file were closed with 9.3. Other exploits exist, but my experience with console hacking has been that most groups will not release updates utilizing vulnerabilities in current firmware. Rather than risk wide exposure of said vulnerability (and thus an increased risk of it being closed) they wait until it is known to have been removed and then update with support for vulnerable firmwares.

Look at it this way.

You are developed an update for your flashcard that will make use of an exploit in 9.6. You release it now, and provide instant support for all devices on 9.6 and lower. A week later Nintendo pushes 9.7 which patches the exploit, limiting the effectiveness of your update.

Alternately, you wait for Nintendo to discover and patch it on their own. As a result they release updates 9.7, 9.8 and 10.0 still without addressing the exploit you are using. Maybe along the way you leak that you have an exploit that could offer support for those devices and warn people to not update. Finally the patch it with 10.1. Now you can release your update and offer support for all devices 10.0 and lower, providing much wider support (and thus reap more revenue from sales of your device to new customers).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-