• Views 4,719,989
  • Replies 53,913
  • Likes 44

discGator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do people use for decompiling (or at least looking at ASM instructions rather than machine code) 3DS games? I'm familiar with some other systems but the 3DS is a new one for me.

Reactions: Crystal_tofu

Crystal_tofu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do people use for decompiling (or at least looking at ASM instructions rather than machine code) 3DS games? I'm familiar with some other systems but the 3DS is a new one for me.
i don't think people have actually started that yet, i mean basic scripting isn't even a thing yet for 3DS games AFAIK

Reactions: discGator

Crystal_tofu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there an homebrew or something similar that would let me connect my bluetooth headhones to my modded new3ds ?
unfortunately, no. however there is a Bluetooth adapter you can find online that plugs into the headphone jack, or you could do a complete hardware mod with one integrated into the console

Kramberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey :),
I wanted to ask if (and how) its possible to transfer saves from an old sd card (which i dont use with any 3ds anymore) to my current one via pc.

I have 2 types of games on there: regular 3ds games/vc titles and injected (nsui) gba titles all installed through .cia

help would be much apprechiated!

Crystal_tofu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to ask if (and how) its possible to transfer saves from an old sd card (which i dont use with any 3ds anymore) to my current one via pc.

I have 2 types of games on there: regular 3ds games/vc titles and injected (nsui) gba titles all installed through .cia

help would be much apprechiated!
With regular 3DS games you can just export them via checkpoint onto your SD card, with GBA virtual console it's a bit more complex and it requires using GM9: https://3ds.hacks.guide/dumping-titles-and-game-cartridges.html

Personally this is why i suggest Open AGB Firm to people as that's as simple as dragging and dropping save files.
Anyway hope this helps!

Reactions: Kramberg

Kramberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well the thing is that the SD card isnt recognized by my 3ds anymore thats why Im asking :)

Yesterday I inserted that SD into my pc to load a file on it and then accidentally stated my 3ds without reinserting the sd card into it. at first, everything seemed normal, but then i noticed certain titled wouldnt start anymore. they also didnt appear on fbi so i unistalled one of them via gm9. after rebooting my ds, it didnt recognize any installed game anymore. so i ordered a new sd card and im restoring my nand backup from right after i homebrewed and then reinstalling everything. really annoying, but will hopefully work.
if you see a simpler solution for that, id really like to hear it :D

otherwise i just somehow need to be able to export my saves from that sd card

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have 2 types of games on there: regular 3ds games/
You haven't used Checkpoint to back up your saves? If not, the process to transfer saves is a less straightforward. You'd have to look for each game manually using its title id in the Nintendo 3ds folder (the one on your old sd card, there should be a 32 character folder inside it) , to locate the encrypted save of a given game. Then you'd have decrypt it,its useless to you encrypted.
Follow this guide do that.
Well the thing is that the SD card isnt recognized by my 3ds anymore thats why Im asking :)
The old one? You might be dealing with data corruption then.
Yesterday I inserted that SD into my pc to load a file on it and then accidentally stated
*started
Also you're talking about the old sd card, right?
my 3ds without reinserting the sd card into it. at first, everything seemed normal, but then i noticed certain titled wouldnt start anymore.
of course they wouldn't appear. As everything is installed to the sd card.
they also didnt appear on fbi so i unistalled one of them via gm9.
After inserting thie sd card or without? Either way doesn't make sense as if they didn't show up in fbi they wouldn't on GM9 too.
after rebooting my ds, it didnt recognize any installed game anymore. so i ordered a new sd card and im restoring my nand backup
If the nand backup was made when you had all your games installed and has your saves,its worth trying. However, before doing that i highly suggest that you should test this new sd card with h2testw to make sure it's not fake, so it won't fail on you like the old sd card (probably) did.

Kramberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
first of all, thanks for the reply! :)
The old one? You might be dealing with data corruption then.
Right, old one.
Also you're talking about the old sd card, right?
Yes.
of course they wouldn't appear. As everything is installed to the sd card.
Sorry for misunderstanding. after reinserting the card some titles would work normally, some didnt start.
edit: to clarify: i took the card out, started the system, noticed that titles are gone, powered off, reinserted the card, booted, then at first, everything seemed fine...
After inserting thie sd card or without? Either way doesn't make sense as if they didn't show up in fbi they wouldn't on GM9 too.
After reinserting. Actually that exaclty what happened. didnt show up on fbi, showd up on gm9 and was able to uninstall.
If the nand backup was made when you had all your games installed
The backup is from straight after i installed cfw, it didnt have anything on it then. i also have a copy of the sd card from the same time.
thats probably what i need to do...

So do you think that theres a better option than a reset to the mentioned backup?
because to me that looks like its unavoidable.

Edit 2: does it sound safe to you to backup it the way i described? gm9 backup with .bin, .sha and .exefs files + content of sd card from same time?

Last edited by Kramberg,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So do you think that theres a better option than a reset to the mentioned backup?
because to me that looks like its unavoidable.
Connect the SD card to your PC, copy everything off the SD card with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and copy everything back if the test is okay. Sometimes that is enough to solve some problems with data corruption.

There's certainly no point in restoring a NAND backup. If just copying the data around doesn't work, you can try rebuilding the database with the CTRTransfer Type D9 script. (Note that this script can do many different things in addition to rebuilding the database, which is unrelated to doing an actual CTRTransfer.)

You haven't used Checkpoint to back up your saves? If not, the process to transfer saves is a less straightforward. You'd have to look for each game manually using its title id in the Nintendo 3ds folder (the one on your old sd card, there should be a 32 character folder inside it) , to locate the encrypted save of a given game. Then you'd have decrypt it,its useless to you encrypted.
It is not necessary to follow that guide when the encryption key has not changed – and since this unit was not System Formatted, the encryption key has not changed.

In this case it is only necessary to locate the save data in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder by looking up the Title ID in https://hax0kartik.github.io/3dsdb/ . For instance, a game with a title ID of 0004000E00086300 will have its data stored in \title\00040000\00086300\data. So, you can just re-install the game on a fresh SD card, copy the save data out of that folder on the old SD card, and paste it into the corresponding folder on the new SD card.

For games that use Anti Savegame Restore (namely Animal Crossing and the Pokemon games), it is further necessary to back up and immediately restore the save data with Checkpoint before it will work again.

Reactions: CoolMe and Kramberg

Kramberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Connect the SD card to your PC, copy everything off the SD card with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and copy everything back if the test is okay. Sometimes that is enough to solve some problems with data corruption.
Im gonna try this immediately.
edit: while copying, i get quite a lot of skipped files with 0% integrity. most of them are >1gig. they all seem to be located in either the /content or the /data folder of titles. is that a problem?

before i started, i tested the sd card with h2testw and it didnt find any problems.
There's certainly no point in restoring a NAND backup.
Why isnt there? seems like a good option to me to start from a "fresh" system if it turns out that i have to reinstall everything anyway...
try rebuilding the database with the CTRTransfer Type D9 script
this actually seems pretty promising. ill try that if copy paste doesnt do it.
edit: would it make sense to try that first?

Last edited by Kramberg,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
edit: while copying, i get quite a lot of skipped files with 0% integrity. most of them are >1gig. they all seem to be located in either the /content or the /data folder of titles. is that a problem?
Yes, those files are game data and those files are unreadable. You're probably better off re-installing everything to a fresh card and copying over your save data as I suggested in my previous post.

before i started, i tested the sd card with h2testw and it didnt find any problems.
It is useless to test a card with h2testw unless it is completely formatted. h2testw can only test empty areas of a card, and if the parts that are corrupted are parts that are occupied by files, then the test will not recognize that corruption.

Why isnt there? seems like a good option to me to start from a "fresh" system if it turns out that i have to reinstall everything anyway...
It's probably more likely to cause more problems than it is to fix anything. And besides, if it's from after you installed CFW, it's no more "fresh" than your system is now.

SD cards fail one way or another with unfortunate frequency; the procedure is simply to follow https://3ds.guide/restoring-updating-cfw , which absolutely does not require restoring a NAND backup.

this actually seems pretty promising. ill try that if copy paste doesnt do it.
edit: would it make sense to try that first?
It's not going to fix corrupted game data, so there's really not much point in trying that at all.

Kramberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so my plan would be:
a. copying sd card
b. follow the guide
c. reinstalling games
d. transfering save data from copy (1.)
copy the save data
did i miss anything?

2 further questions remain for me:
It's not going to fix corrupted game data, so there's really not much point in trying that at all.
1. can i fck anything up by trying it anyways?

It's probably more likely to cause more problems than it is to fix anything
2. if thats the case, why would i even make a backup like that?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so my plan would be:
a. copying sd card
Well, you say you already tried copying the data and you got a lot of skipped files. I guess you could try identifying which games have bad data by looking at the title IDs and then only reinstalling those, but if there are a lot of skipped files, there's not much point.

1. can i fck anything up by trying it anyways?
At best, you'll still end up with a bunch of games with corrupt or missing data, and you'll only find out which ones by running them.

2. if thats the case, why would i even make a backup like that?
For cases where your NAND gets screwed up and not your SD card. There aren't a lot of cases like that, though.

Kramberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update: Weird stuff happened. I wanted to try the CTRTransfer Type D script, downloaded end executed it, went for option a, but in the last dialogue before it actually started doing its thing, i changed my mind, pressed b untill the script was closed and rebooted. i was really surprised to find all of my titles back on the menu when my 3ds started. still, some titles are shown and dont work, but i took out all the relevant 0000001.sav files, transfered the .cia files for the missing games and just installed them again through fbi. seems to be working fine so far. even started the ds without the sd card again, but it didnt break anything as it did the last time. idk what was going on, but it seems like this was the fix. anyways, thanks for your help guys, i hope i wont be needing it again in the following days :D

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
still, some titles are shown and dont work, but i took out all the relevant 0000001.sav files, transfered the .cia files for the missing games and just installed them again through fbi. seems to be working fine so far.
I hope that means you're using a new SD card.

baobao43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read the battery for N3DSXL is supposed to last 3.5-6 hours. At this point mine seems to last only 2-3 hours. Does anyone have a reccomnded brand and place to buy replacement? I see Amazon has tons but I want to know which are high quality.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read the battery for N3DSXL is supposed to last 3.5-6 hours. At this point mine seems to last only 2-3 hours. Does anyone have a reccomnded brand and place to buy replacement? I see Amazon has tons but I want to know which are high quality.
If they're not in stock on the official Nintendo store at the moment, try checking back later - they seem to come and go.

Reactions: baobao43

Crystal_tofu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: beefcakeyamato

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.