3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    First, installing Luma3DS and B9S is highly recommended. You could install B9S using Seedminer and play DS games with TWiLight Menu, all for free and without a flashcart.

That being said, any DS flashcart advertised to work with the latest version of the 3DS is probably going to work just fine. I personally recommend one of these flashcarts, in case you decide you want an easy way to install Luma3DS and B9S to your 3DS in the future. It also lists the prices. Make sure it's compatible with 11.10 before ordering. The R4iSDHC GOLD Pro 20XX appears to be the cheapest option at $9.99.

Last edited by Lacius, Jul 26, 2019
    Quantumcat likes this.
  2. Megaman Hunter

Megaman Hunter Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2015
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Does anyone has firmwareV130.zip for Sky3DS+ somewhere? Sky3DS themselves are not aware of expired links. Also, my Sky3DS+ cart (orange button) is currently on firmware v112, which I tried to upgrade it to v140, but it did not change the settings.txt section FIRMWARE_VERSION=112.

So, I was going to try to upgrade to V130 to V140, but all links for the file are down (based on my rough searching on google). Can anyone assist me on this?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Please, forgive my unawareness, but I just checked if I deleted the settings.txt file, it will generate new one, with the new version printed on it. It is now updated to the latest version. Thanks, and sorry for the post.

3. Goldkarp

Goldkarp Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks, but since I don't have a computer, I decided to just wait until I could borrow one and play normally until then, but now the 3DS won't even boot with the SD card inserted. Again, I haven't done anything noteworthy besides playing what I had, so I'm a bit confused... Is the solution still the same? Is there something I can do with just an Android phone to help me?

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Continually using the SD card can corrupt your saves and extdata if the card is fake or dying. You must stop using it until all the files can be pulled off, and the card is reformatted + hardware tested (while the card is empty) with H2testw.

Android phones have apps to check for fake cards, but are not* thorough as they don't write & read back randomized test files. Perform testing with H2testw on Windows, F3X on Mac, or F3 on Linux.

Edit - This should go without saying. A tested card that's reported bad must be discontinued and replaced.

Be warned that any files found to be corrupted cannot be recovered or reused.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Jul 29, 2019
  5. Goldkarp

Goldkarp Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2019
    Spain
    I see... Then I guess it's my fault, even if it's out of ignorance. Thanks, I'll have to check out this then.

6. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    No, do not blame yourself for something you didn't know about until now. It's us consumers who suffer lost in data due to scammers and counterfeiters.

Remember, always test newly purchased flash memory products like USB pen drives and SD cards with H2testw / F3X / F3 before using.

Avoid buying cards from eBay. Be careful with established online stores, even Amazon. Check those even bought from local physical stores.

Goldkarp likes this.
  7. Rex1M

Rex1M Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2019
    United States
    Good afternoon, a friend of mine's using an old version of Luma (I think his is someone where between Luma v3 till v6, not sure about his B9S version) and he's been wondering if it's safe to update his N3DS XL.

He asked me for some help, though I'm not sure if his N3DS XL will stay hacked if he updates it.

Does he need to update Luma and update B9S first?

I'd appreciate your advice, because I'd like to help him out with his hacked N3DS XL.

Thank you for your attention.

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Luma3DS v9.1 or higher is required to update the system to 11.10. If the system is using Luma3DS v7.0.5 or lower, then you need to update from A9LH to B9S.
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

To verify the Luma3DS version, boot the system while holding the Select button.

9. Rex1M

Rex1M Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2019
    United States
    Cool, thanks for the help.

If there's anything else I'm unsure about regarding his N3DS XL then I'll ask again.

10. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    When testing for DS Internet connection (used for fredtools?), I get to the Nintendo Wifi Connection Setup screen which has the blue connection settings and orange options. It looks like the old DS menus. That's all well and good, but when I try to set up a connection, I get the message "The access point's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS. For help ..." and I can't set up an actual connection. Is this going to be a problem going forward? Do I actually need a network connection, or is getting to the menu good enough.

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You don't need to actually connect to the internet.

AbyssalMonkey likes this.
  12. AbyssalMonkey

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    On 3ds.guide it says to
    Luma3ds came with a boot.3dsx and I also downloaded a boot.3dsx from the homebrew launcher git. Which one do I use? Since it called out Luma earlier for boot.firm, I would assume I would use the homebrew launcher boot.3dsx, but I want to make sure.

Can someone tell me explicitly which one to use?

13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I didn't know they added that to the release but they are probably the same thing. It is for the homebrew launcher though so probably use the one from there (unless maybe it needed some tweaks to work with the latest Luma?)

Lacius and AbyssalMonkey like this.
  14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    They are the exact same boot.3dsx file (v2.1.0 of the Homebrew Launcher), so it does not matter.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It was added in Luma3DS v10.0.0.

Quantumcat and AbyssalMonkey like this.
  15. AbyssalMonkey

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    Should have known to check the checksums. Yup, they're the exact same file.
    [​IMG]

Lacius likes this.
  16. AbyssalMonkey

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    Thanks for the assistance. Everything is up and running.

Quantumcat likes this.
  17. g12345567

g12345567 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2013
    I know the 2DS/3DS has a 300 title limit and once you install over 300 titles it will start removing the oldest installed one to make room for the newest install.. Was just wondering if there was any quick way to find out my current installed title count?

18. Rex1M

Rex1M Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2019
    United States
    Hi, I received my friend's N3DS today and I found out that he's not using Luma+Coldboot.

His N3DS (Firmware 9.2.0-20U) is still using that old Menuhax Loader.

Should I format his sd card (start from scratch) and follow the tutorial at the 3ds guide site ?

Or is there a faster way to go from MenuHax Loader to Luma+Coldboot ?

I'd appreciate if you and/or anyone else here can help me out.

19. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    With menuhax installed already, here's a quick way to install B9S:
    1. Power off your device
    2. Insert your SD card into your computer
    3. Copy boot.firm from the Luma3DS .zip to the root of your SD card (https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/latest)
    4. Create a folder named boot9strap on the root of your SD card
    5. Copy boot9strap.firm and boot9strap.firm.sha from the boot9strap .zip to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card (https://github.com/SciresM/boot9strap/releases/latest)
    6. Copy SafeB9SInstaller.3dsx from the SafeB9SInstaller.zip to the root of your SD card and rename it boot.3dsx (or whatever the 3dsx on the root of your SD is called that's run my menuhax) (https://github.com/d0k3/SafeB9SInstaller/releases/tag/v0.0.7)
    7. Boot the system and install B9S.
    8. Replace boot.3dsx with the one from Luma3DS.
    9. Follow the finalizing setup guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup.html

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  20. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    The only problem with this is you will get a black screen on boot if you have menuhax installed with B9S installed as well. Better to remove menuhax first. Or if not, after installing B9S, then follow the delete home menu extdata part of the troubleshooting guide.