3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. nqs

nqs Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2019
    United States
    hey uh, i bought a modded new 3ds xl on ebay. it has luma3ds, homebrew (soundhax ver, i think? that's what it says on the sd card anyway), nts cfw, luma updater, boot9strap and fbi. it was modded in 2017 so i was trying to update everything but i dont know how to install luma updater, plus luma3ds just crashes when i try to open the app. i don't know how to update fbi (i've tried but it stays at 2.4.8) and it gives me error 0xd8a0a03c every time i try to use the update it has. i dont really know where to start except for the 3ds.hacks.guide and finalizing the homebrew soundhax setup :/ can someone help and tell me where i can start/how to fix luma3ds + fbi?

2. shideravan

shideravan GBAtemp Regular

Apr 8, 2013
    Brazil
    also, I have Cubic Ninja cartridge, it can helps to launch Gateway exploit anyway?

3. Dava

Dava Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Berlin
    Do i Need to install it again ? I‘m a little bit confused. It shows me only that on the picture. And when I try to update luma it shows this (the another picture)
    What is the best way to show me my hack

Attached Files:

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Update to boot9strap v1.3, Luma3DS v10.0.1, and GodMode9 v1.8.0 on both SD card and CTRNAND.

Dava likes this.
  5. Atomic-Red-Star

Atomic-Red-Star Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2019
    United States
    I promised I tried to find an answer...

But I couldn't find any threads for this specific use case (I'm sure it's buried somewhere).

I have one CFW 2DS XL and one stock (brand new). Made a LOT of digital purchases on my original 2DS before modifying it. I wanted to transfer my legitimately purchased games to the new 2DS (along with my NNID) and keep my CFW 2DS modified for my injected VC games and emulators. I would like to keep the new one "pure" in stock form. Should I:

- Uninstall the CFW and return the original 2DS to stock and then perform a transfer
    - Perform a transfer from CFW 2DS to new non-CFW 2DS (I realize I can then delete non-stock games and folders)

Will the CFW 2DS still work once the NNID is transferred to the new stock 2DS? Can I just create a new NNID on the CFW 2DS after I transfer everything? Any risk in transferring from CFW to non-CFW? I would prefer to avoid returning the original one to stock just to transfer the purchased games and NNID over. I want the end result to be:

- Awesomely modified 2DS XL with CFW and all my injected VC ROM back-up games (with new NNID?)
    - Vanilla Stock 2DS XL with my original NNID and all of its associated digital purchases

Has anyone gone through a similar use case? All the posts I read involved CFW to CFW transfers.

Thank you in advance!

6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can do a normal system transfer from the CFW console to the stock one. The result:
    • The stock console will have the NNID and bought games
    • The stock console will have the files from the non-bought games but they won't do anything
    • The CFW console will be formatted and you'll have to do the finalising setup page again, and install everything again.
    To avoid these annoyances do the following:
    • Make a NAND backup and SD card backup of the source console before the transfer
    • Uninstall all non-bought games from the source console
    • Do the transfer
    • Restore the NAND backup and SD card backup to the source console
    • Look at https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage and follow 'Remove NNID without formatting your device' on the source console
    • Make a new NNID on the source console
    Then you should have everything you're after

zxr750j and Atomic-Red-Star like this.
  7. Atomic-Red-Star

Atomic-Red-Star Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2019
    United States
    You are truly a Quantum Cat. Thank you for the speedy response. Exactly what I needed! Thanks again!

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. Atomic-Red-Star

Atomic-Red-Star Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2019
    United States
    Once I restore the NAND backup and SD card backup to the source console, and remove my original NNID, I assume I'll lose access to the purchased software originally on my SD card, right? @Quantumcat

9. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    That's right. But you can still get them back the non-buying way.

Probably a good idea to back up all your save files with JKSM or Checkpoint and copy to a pc before you start as well.

Atomic-Red-Star likes this.
  10. PoiRan

PoiRan Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2018
    Sweden
    Total noob here, never even held a 3ds before, got a 3ds xl yesterday, had 4.5E installed so followed hacks guide, latest versions of all tools, used soundhax, installed boot9strap, booted into Luma 10.0.1 settings. Pressed start to save settings.

After that, reboot to black screen. Used Luma 9 boot.firm, and console boots fine. Godmode also loads.

But not Luma 10. If I delete luma config, Luma 10 again boots to settings, after saving settings, reboots to black screen. Select, or Start, doesn't work on this black screen.

So...Maybe I should leave it as it is, bit I'm thinking of system update and then trying Luma 10 again, maybe my system, 4,5, is just too old?

(written from phone, pardon for autocontects)

Last edited by PoiRan, Jul 10, 2019
    KleinesSinchen and jonm like this.
  11. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes you should update - there's no advantage to being on a lower firmware. That's why the guide tells you to update. If you want to preserve the ability to go back easily, make a NAND backup first. That being said I have never heard someone not being able to boot Luma 10 because they were on a lower firmware though. So it is possible the firmware isn't the issue

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  12. PoiRan

PoiRan Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2018
    Sweden
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I just figured that if for, whatever reason, Luma 10 won't run even after updating system it might be safer to never update att all. I'll try another SD card, not that I think there's anything wrong with this, but I'll copy the files fresh, maybe I made a mistake somewhere. I'll make a NAND backup first though.

13. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Just tested it and can confirm: current Luma v10.0.1 with official firmware on 4.5.0-10 also results in double black screen for me* and the O3DSXL can only be turned off by holding power for some seconds. Loads normally with Luma v9.1

Some more tests should be done, but it seems newest Luma broke compatibility with very old firmware. That's bad because if somebody – like you – follows the guide normally, they end up with latest Luma and never even come to this point:
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup#section-ii---updating-the-system
    without downgrading Luma first.

Create a backup first – always a good idea – and use the official updater while Luma v9.1 is loaded.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, Jul 10, 2019
  14. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Wow I didn't think of the fact that you don't get told to update until later. Thanks for testing. Someone should create an issue on the guide's repo so it gets fixed.

15. jonm

jonm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2006
    Another noob here, just tried to install the latest Luma on an old 3DS with 4.4, same issue with black screen after the first config screen. I did what PoiRan did and used the v9 boot and manage to load the home screen,

If I were to update my firmware what disadvantages would there be on a newer firmware and whats the best way to update? thanks for the help!

16. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    No disadvantages in higher firmware. You can update the firmware normally with System Settings like a normal, unhacked System. You will not lose CFW by updating.

Seems there is a regression in Luma 10 preventing booting on 4.x firmware. I tested some other firmware versions (so far no other version besides 4.x seems to be affected) and will continue the tests tomorrow or a day later.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/very-old-3ds-firmware-versions-and-luma.543141/

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, Jul 12, 2019
    Quantumcat and jonm like this.
  17. jonm

jonm Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2006
    just updated, now getting error from luma, failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es.

put the v10 Luma back on my SD and all working good now!!!

Last edited by jonm, Jul 12, 2019
  18. RodPN

RodPN GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2009
    Mexico
    Basically I just got a second hand jail broken 3DS. But the owner had no idea how they got the homebrew launcher inside. Is there any way to know this? So I can safely connect to the internet, tie my account and everything

All I know is it's a Majora's Mask Edition, it's on the latest software (11.10.0-43 U) and it has the homebrew launcher v2.0.0 and FBI installed

19. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If it is on the latest firmware probably everything is up to date. But to check, hold Select on boot and see what Luma version you have (in case it is using an emuNAND or something).

RodPN likes this.
  20. IceBlueLugia

IceBlueLugia GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2016
    United States
    Can anyone help me? Homebrew launcher no longer works, and it's been this way for at least a year, but I didn't bother to look for a solution until now since I had never needed to use it. I click the homebrew launcher icon on my home menu, then it just freezes on the black screen with the word "Homebrew" on the top and bottom screens, and it never advances past this. Can someone help fix this for me?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Another thing, I did a system transfer recently and all the games I downloaded from freeshop are gone, how do I get them back?