3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Hori screen protectors are amazeballs because of Japan made PET film with exceptional clarity, compatibility with touchscreen, and ease of application. As much as this sounds a lot like marketing hype, Hori's known for making quality video game accessories. Their screen protectors will do the job at preventing scratches but not dents and cracks from hard impacts.

As for tempered glass, I'm not familiar with well established brands. Tempered glass is easier to put on and not subjected to as stringent quality control compared to plastic screen protectors. Unless you're buying really cheap, no-name generic t-glass off of eBay for not so popular devices, the worst panels are those with swirls and view distortion from uneven cooling in glass manufacturing. There's also knock off glass where it's not tempered but regular, bobo lime soda glass (again, cheapie-generic-no name scenario).
    Which route you go depends on your nephew & niece's temperance in how they handle their belongings.
    Edit - Stick to plastic screen protector for the touchscreen side. Just make sure it's absolutely clean before installing. Trapped lint and dust specks can interfere with input.

You only need one ntrboot flashcart to hack as many 3DS and 2DS systems as you like. Except for the R4i Gold 3DS Plus that has a built-in switch for dual modes, those DS flashcarts can be reflashed back and forth between ntrboot and DS modes.

If you intend to include NDS roms as part of their collection, it's probably better to buy two separate carts. Those $5 R4iSDHC aren't suggested because of time bomb, but this can be bypass with YSMenu kernel.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Jun 21, 2019
    CanIHazWarez likes this.
  2. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    I haven't used my 3DS for a while and I'd like to make sure everything is up to date and optimised, so can anyone advise on the following -

1) How do I make sure everything is up to date? Latest system software, latest CFW, latest essential tools, etc.
    2) What is the bare minimum I need on my SD card? So that I can remove any redundant files.
    3) What essential backups should I have?

I originally hacked my 3DS using A9LH but I know I upgraded to B9S at some point because I have backup files from that process.
    I'm on system software 11.9 and Luma3DS 8.1.1 - is Luma still the way to go?

3. BaamAlex

BaamAlex (*(vu64 *)0x1FF81100)

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    1. Update Luma to 9.1
    2. Use GM9 for that to clean up your sd card.
    3. Most important backup is from the nand, i would say.

That makes no sense. 8.1.1 doesn't work above 11.8. You must be on 9.1.

4. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    I took my SD card out to back it up and when I booted the 3DS holding Select it said Luma 8.1.1. With the SD card in, it does say 9.1.
    So is there also Luma on the actual 3DS? Do I need to update that?

5. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    Ahh. 8.1.1 is on your ctrnand i think.

Yeah copy and paste the latest luma release to your ctrnand. Or use the megascript to do this.

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  6. userix

userix Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2009
    United States
    I noticed that using cheats with the built-in cheat function in Luma 3DS, I often get random arm11 exception crashes. It's random and happens with any game, but it happens pretty often, to a point where I have to replay certain sections repeatedly because it crashes before autosaving. The codes do work though.

I currently run Luma 3DS with plugin loader. I have the action replay plugin installed as well, but I have tested both with plugin loader enabled and disabled, but that doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get often, random arm11 exception crashes. The cheats I use are the gateshark txt file format placed in the /cheats folder in the root directory of the micro SD card and loaded by activating the cheat menu right in the Luma Rosalina menu (L+SELECT+DOWN).

7. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    Cheats in .txt format should be in /luma/titles/TID/cheats.txt.

8. userix

userix Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2009
    United States
    I have also tried this too. The cheats do work when txt file is placed either in the cheats folder with TID as the filename, or the method you just stated. The problem is using cheats crashes the game very often, the crashes all happen during loading screens.

9. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    I don't have this problem atm.

10. Garkoff

Garkoff Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2019
    Spain
    The HB apps that i've downloaded doesn't make sound. I already dumped DSP, try dumping again, check if there's any file related with DSP (this file exist in my SD card), and nothing, it don't makes sound.
    Any solution?

Sorry for my English, I'm not good at it ;P

11. Poked

Poked Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    Croatia
    Help my start and select button arent working so i cant save luma3ds config!!

12. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    How can you boot if when your start and select buttons doesn't work?

13. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    My advise is: Repair that buttons. Playing without (START) and (SELECT) is not fun. Pause function, menus, you need those two buttons any time. But to get your 2DS running (if you are still stuck with the initial Luma configuration) download one of the config.bin files I created a while ago.
    Extract config.bin to SD:/luma

As for the missing Luma chainloading functionality – holding (START) while booting – you can work around this:
    Temporary rename boot.firm to bla.firm and putting GodMode9.firm renamed as boot.firm on the SD if you need GodMode9.

14. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    So I wanna give another go and try to hack my 3DS(currently on latest version 11.10.0, it's a European model).
    I checked https://3ds.hacks.guide/ and the Seedminer method might be my best choice...but there's 2 issues.
    1. My computer doesn't have an SD card slot, and I can't bother buying an adapter now. Is it possible to do the steps that require a computer but with a different device(like an android tablet)?
    2. I still have games I haven't finished on the SD card, but not sure if the hacking process will affect them in any sort of way. Is there any risk of losing progress or even the games themselves?

Last edited by RedoLane, Jun 26, 2019
  15. BaamAlex

Jul 23, 2018
    Germany
    1. Yes it should work. Why not?
    2. When you follow the steps, you don't loose any data.

16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Will the android tablet let you extract files from archives?

17. Girafarig

Girafarig Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2016
    United States
    I havent done *anything* CFW related in over two years so I've forgotten basically everything. The firmware I'm running (LUMA and Boot9Strap or whatever) is probably super outdated but honestly I don't even know where to start. I'd like to update stuff, and install the new version of PKSM. If someone could help me and walk me through I'd greatly appreciate it (even though I know its very simple)

Last edited by Girafarig, Jun 27, 2019
  18. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Firstly, hold Select on boot and tell us what version Luma you're running.

19. xSpace

xSpace Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2019
    United States
    Noob Question 2.0

Well Hello there....
    I just hacked my 3DS (my first time doing this)(Luma3ds)
    and I saw i can install the games with CIA Fbi
    but can I play online or will I get banned?

20. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    pretty sure I can. I've installed 2 different apps for that.

Quantumcat likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted