3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Change your home menu theme then follow https://3ds.guide and follow the optional "move emuNAND" section when you come to it.

ygtenos likes this.
  2. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    There is no method for hacking on 11.5 that won't also work on 11.9 so you may as well update. Make sure to follow https://3ds.guide and not any video guide or any other guide.

3. GibboHull

GibboHull Member

Newcomer
    Apr 4, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Helo everyone!

I have recently found my old Nintendo 3DS locked away in my mums loft. It is currently on firmware version 4.5.0 and has a Gateway cart with it. I haven't messed about with 3DS CFW for years and I know Luma 3DS is a thing.

Is it better to just update my Gateway FW or shall I just install Luma 3DS? Which one has the better features at this point?

Cheers!

4. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Definitely use CFW - getting Gateway working on a high enough firmware to be able to play any games will be fiddly, time-consuming and annoying to say the least.

First question is, do you want to keep the save games on any of the Gateway games? If not, the process is easy. Simply follow this: https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(mset) (it uses the same exploit that you use to launch Gateway mode, so it's something you might already be used to and can access). If you want to save things like Mii Plaza progress, friends etc, also follow the optional "Move emuNAND" section when it is offered to you. Otherwise if you are happy to start with a blank slate you can ignore it. If you have any issues, or you want to keep the save games from your Gateway card, let us know.

5. GibboHull

GibboHull Member

Newcomer
    Apr 4, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Really appreciate the quick reponse - CFW it is then! Not too fussed about saves or anything else.

I think Gateway is still installed on the device, do I need to uninstall this first before installing or is overwriting fine?

6. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Nope, it is sort of installed in DS Profile but that will go away when you follow that guide. Nothing that you have to uninstall.

7. Bilong1265

Bilong1265 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    Vietnam
    help me, i cant install the CIA file
    error code:
    Failed to install CIA file.
    Result code: 0xD9004568
    Level: Permanent (27)
    Summary: Wrong argument (8)
    Module: FS (17)
    Desc: <unkown> (390)

8. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    • Do you have file extensions turned on on your computer so you can make sure that it isn't filename.cia.cia?
    • Can you verify that the size of the file is what you expect to make sure it isn't corrupted?
    • Are you definitely running CFW and not plain homebrew?
    If you checked these things and you can't find the problem, please share a screenshot of FBI showing the file just before you select it.

9. Bilong1265

Bilong1265 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    Vietnam
    im checking

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

1: im make sure that it isnt filename cia.cia
    2: im make sure its not corrupted it isnt corrupted cause i download it on 3dscia
    3: Running CFW

its gave me another error:
    Failed to instal CIA file
    Rresult code: 0xF9608022
    Level: Fatal (31)
    Summary: internal (11)
    Module: AM (32)
    Desc: <unknown> (34)

10. Bilong1265

Bilong1265 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    Vietnam
    oops, i made it, i can now isntall CIA file, sorry for taking your time, just 1 more question
    I want to replace my old sd card from nintendo 3DS to a new one, so i copy all data from the old one to my PC. Then i homebrew allover again the new sd card. I download the old game by CIA to the new sd card but all the old data and extra data is in the computer. How do i recover it to my new sd card? thanks you

11. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You don't need to install CFW all over again on the new SD card - it's installed on your console. All you have to do is format the new card and copy over all the data. It is best to format using Godmode9, but formatting on your PC using GuiFormat (if over 32GB) or just using the inbuilt formatter (if 32GB or less) is likely to be fine also.

12. Bilong1265

Bilong1265 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    Vietnam
    Thanks you very much!

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. Bilong1265

Bilong1265 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    Vietnam
    Help, the FBI wont let me install CIA file again >.>
    when im trying to install a CIA file, it doesnt let me install. Only have these actions: Delete Rename Copy Paste

14. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    That means it is not a cia file. Turn on file extensions on your PC to make sure they aren't filename.cia.cia and make sure they aren't corrupted by checking that they are the file size you expect. Additionally if you are on a Mac, they create extra files beginning with dots that you can't see when you're looking at the SD card contents on your computer. You can see them in FBI but you won't be able to install them.

15. Joss78

Joss78 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2019
    Hungary
    hi

any news for 11.10 homebrew??My 2ds xl full new....i buy the console yestuday...and is no freeshop dead and no new homebrew....anyone can help me please?

16. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Follow https://3ds.guide. CFW is unaffected as far as we can tell (freeShop continues to be dead).

17. Sethtimus Prime

Sethtimus Prime GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    United States
    Is there a guide somewhere on how to use cheats in my 3ds games?

18. wajyi

wajyi Newbie

Newcomer
    May 29, 2019
    Brazil
    Hello, just bought an used old 2DS and it came with nothing on the SD Card, just a Nintendo 3DS and a DCIM folder. I can boot into godmode9 and managed to install FBI using it and even installing a game and Anemone.

Following the "Finalizing setup" on 3ds.guide, I couldn't load the homebrew launcher on Download Play or H&S, as it returns that "an exception ocurred". What else do I need to do? I figured I should follow earlier steps on 3ds.guide, but from where do I start? Do I need to do anything else?

System is on 11.9.0
    I can boot into godmode9
    Injected FBI into H&S using godmode9, used it to install another FBI, Anemone and a game, all worked.
    I think I read Luma somewhere using the console, but can't find it anymore.
    Not using flashcards.

19. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Sounds like missing boot.3dsx in the root of your SD (this is the Homebrew Launcher and if the file is missing you inject… nothing into Download Play).

The finalizing part assumes this file to be already there – when following the guide from the beginning it is downloaded earlier.

Quantumcat likes this.
  20. Joss78

Joss78 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2019
    Hungary
    Hi

Somebody can say someone for me please.?Thank you all....