Hacking 3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

• Thread starter Cyan
  • Start date
  • Views 4,440,377
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43
D

Deleted User

help!! my homebrew apps work when i dont have boot9strap cfw installed, but when i install it and try to open (for example fbi), it will give me a red screen and then boot back to homebrew launcher menu. if i uninstall it using godmode9, they return to normal, but i cannot boot any hbapp when in cfw. i really want to use fbi because if i try to boot it without cfw, it boots but tells me that i dont have kernel backdoor. please help!! im on fw 11.8-41u

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
help!! my homebrew apps work when i dont have boot9strap cfw installed, but when i install it and try to open (for example fbi), it will give me a red screen and then boot back to homebrew launcher menu. if i uninstall it using godmode9, they return to normal, but i cannot boot any hbapp when in cfw. i really want to use fbi because if i try to boot it without cfw, it boots but tells me that i dont have kernel backdoor. please help!! im on fw 11.8-41u
Please stop! Uninstalling custom firmware is almost always a bad idea. Please read this sticky thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/you-dont-need-to-remove-b9s-the-guide-to-proper-troubleshooting.477024/

How do you start Homebrew Menu while cfw is installed? Using any *hax entrypoints will most likely not work.
After installing cfw, you should start the Homebrew Menu with Rosalina and install the essential software.

In short: Do the finalizing setup after installing B9S and Luma.

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda 2DS Edition 11.5 and I bought my R4 from GBATemp sponsored site. I believe it is the version that works with all firmware and no timebomb. R4 Gold (plus sign) 3ds/ds (www.r4ids.cn). Absolute noob here since my last one was long time ago on old Mario 3ds. I read the guide, but not sure exactly what flash cart or what to do with the flash cart. Can anyone kick my arse in the right direction? TIA!

I guess what I am asking for is help to identify which Flashcart I have so I know which path to follow :)

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess what I am asking for is help to identify which Flashcart I have so I know which path to follow :)
The R4i Gold and R4i Gold Plus are the same flashcard. The plus just has an NTRBoot Loader switch for using NTRBootHax. You just need the proper wood kernel for the card. You're on the right track.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The card is already flashed for NTRBootHax. You just need to turn the switch on, grab the files and put them on the micro sd card in the flashcard, then use the magnet to trigger sleep mode as per the guide and install CFW. After that, you can switch to "DS mode" with the switch and use it like a regular flashcard.

Reactions: ISO-Man

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4i Gold and R4i Gold Plus are the same flashcard. The plus just has an NTRBoot Loader switch for using NTRBootHax. You just need the proper wood kernel for the card. You're on the right track.

The card is already flashed for NTRBootHax. You just need to turn the switch on, grab the files and put them on the micro sd card in the flashcard, then use the magnet to trigger sleep mode as per the guide and install CFW. After that, you can switch to "DS mode" with the switch and use it like a regular flashcard.

I see the .png of the inside of the cart. How am I suppose to switch it with it inside the case?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see the .png of the inside of the cart. How am I suppose to switch it with it inside the case?
Well you have the actual cartridge don't you? It looks like from the pic on the site the switch is embedded, so you need like a paperclip or something to stick in the slot and flip it. I don't have one with a switch so I can't tell you precisely how to flip it.

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you have the actual cartridge don't you? It looks like from the pic on the site the switch is embedded, so you need like a paperclip or something to stick in the slot and flip it. I don't have one with a switch so I can't tell you precisely how to flip it.

I kid you not, only opening is for the sdhc... If I crack it open.. will it not work in the slot on the 2ds?

NVRmind, I went to site for card and it is a tiny switch on the top of the teeth of the card.

Last edited by ISO-Man,
Reactions: Majickhat55

ThreeDarkKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Stay on 11.3, go to the guide and use Soundhax. That's the easiest way. After this you'll end up in 11.8.
Thank you

So to make sure I have this straight... I start on this page > homebrew-launcher-(soundhax) with soundhax, installing bootstrap & finalizing setup? .. download those 8 files, follow 18 steps then continue on to bootstrap installation page?

Ummm Soundhax wants me to choose my FW 3.X-4.X or 5.X-11.2 ... BUT I am on 11.3 .. which do i choose? Pending an answer, I downloaded the 5.X-11.2 file, in readiness to start.

Also, will all of these files and instructions keep leading me to upgrading to v11.8 by the time I finish, or will I need to find more instructions after finishing this first stage? Also, will I be using my Gateway still when all is done?

Last edited by ThreeDarkKnight,

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If your flashcart comes pre-flashed with ntrboot (or you have already flashed ntrboot to your flashcart), you can skip to Installing boot9strap (ntrboot) for instructions on how to use it.

Is that where I start? BTW, I had to open cart to hit the switch, but it closes back :)
I have 64GB SD ready and 16GB SDHC in flashcart.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your flashcart comes pre-flashed with ntrboot (or you have already flashed ntrboot to your flashcart), you can skip to Installing boot9strap (ntrboot) for instructions on how to use it.

Is that where I start? BTW, I had to open cart to hit the switch, but it closes back :)
I have 64GB SD ready and 16GB SDHC in flashcart.
Yup. That's where you start. You have plenty of space on both if you want some DS games later too.

porygonz2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi, I've heard that Nintendo is banning people playing Pokemon US/UM on custom firmware or pirated copy, idk; so the ban is caused by using cfw, or I'll be able to play it without problems with a legal copy and a modified system (only luma, no mods)? thanks beforehand.

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you install B9S, you can use Godmode9 to backup your NAND. Yep.

Not sure my cart is being seen. In sleep mode, I use x,start,sel,power and the black screen brightens some then goes dark black again. yellow light on and blue light goes from bright to dim back to bright, etc

UPDATE: Stupid me did not rename file to boot.firm

UPDATE: On Final Steps, do I setup wifi? How do I know I am updating under lumina-boot?

Update: DONE with Zelda 2DS Edition. Am I able to copy the installed game to my son's mod 3DS? Time for the Pokeball 2DS <--- Uses Micro SD :)

Update: Pokeball 2DS XL Done! Once you know your Flashcart, this is an easy to follow process :) Thanks Majickhat55 for the help!!!

Last edited by ISO-Man,
Reactions: Majickhat55

DarkDawg219

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, is there any way at all for me to install .cia game files to play these games or am I legit just stuck with no hope of playing games like Luigi’s Mansion 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Shin Magami Tensei, etc?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, is there any way at all for me to install .cia game files to play these games or am I legit just stuck with no hope of playing games like Luigi’s Mansion 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Shin Magami Tensei, etc?
uhm....what??? There is frogminer for 11.8 systems to get cfw. Also you need to search down .cia files to install using FBI after.

bensons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This SHOULD be my LAST embarrassing question I have to ask in this thread... (did I just jinx myself??)

I turned my 3DS's wi-fi off before starting anything, (in fear of somehow updating something) but now I'm at step 16 on [THIS] page of the guide where I'm now supposed to be "Updating the System" and when I get to the "System Update" menu I'm told that it can't find a wi-fi signal, so, my question is- Am I now actually supposed to put my 3DS back onto my wi-fi network now that I've installed Luma3DS and update stuff online??

All the rest of my info is back on [THIS] page. (Third post from the top)

Thanks in advance.

Peace!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This SHOULD be my LAST embarrassing question I have to ask in this thread... (did I just jinx myself??)

I turned my 3DS's wi-fi off before starting anything, (in fear of somehow updating something) but now I'm at step 16 on [THIS] page of the guide where I'm now supposed to be "Updating the System" and when I get to the "System Update" menu I'm told that it can't find a wi-fi signal, so, my question is- Am I now actually supposed to put my 3DS back onto my wi-fi network now that I've installed Luma3DS and update stuff online??

All the rest of my info is back on [THIS] page. (Third post from the top)

Thanks in advance.

Peace!
If I remember correctly, you already had B9S and Luma installed. Reading Nintendo's stupid threats before the update starts, really gives a bad feeling. But put these feelings away. The cfw prevents itself from being overwritten and nothing bad will happen.
UpdateSysnand.png

One addition to this very short answer from the guide:
The last update 11.8 broke Luma compatibility (Nintendo did this probably not on purpose) and lead to the infamous "Failed to apply 1 Firm patch(es)" message. Yesterday there was yet another cry for help (not a big deal, only downloading new Luma). If there's ever a version 11.9 or 12, wait some days before updating and read on GBAtemp. If nobody reports problems, you can safely update. There will be probably a thread about any update.

Updating is safe for you now, because you have the latest version of Luma if you followed the guide just some days ago.

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It as been quite some time since I dumped a cart. What is the best new method? TIA :)

Do I still use app like Hourglass or decrypter with newest modding of 3ds/2ds? What is the recommended for dumbass's like me?

Nvrmind, found YouTube video on GodMode.

Last edited by ISO-Man,

jaywhisker

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Not sure if ask or if this is the right thread I apologise if it isn't but does anyone have the kernal firmware for this r4 card in order to start up ysmenu on my 2dsxl immediately because it has a timebomb and I want to disable it and maybe firmware online will cause the screen to go black and white with the loading screen and it stuck like that. I thk this r4 is a clone so if anyone able to help me? Thanks in advance

Not sure if ask or if this is the right thread I apologise if it isn't but does anyone have the kernal firmware for this r4 card in order to start up ysmenu on my 2dsxl immediately because it has a timebomb and I want to disable it and maybe firmware online will cause the screen to go black and white with the loading screen and it stuck like that. I thk this r4 is a clone so if anyone able to help me? Thanks in advance

Many firmwar*

Attachments

• 15424451259773167905961459206365.jpg
    15424451259773167905961459206365.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.