• Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 11.8.0.-41E and my N2DS XL is saying that a system update is available, is it safe to update?
its safe just update your luma first

you are on the latest fw and the system is reporting an update is available this means your 3ds is not entirely up to date (some system titles are not up to date) if the update does not take then try it in recovery mode

Last edited by wormdood,

PatTricked

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
its safe just update your luma first

you are on the latest fw and the system is reporting an update is available this means your 3ds is not entirely up to date (some system titles are not up to date) if the update does not take then try it in recovery mode

Thank you, I've updated successfully :D

Leshe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So, I lent my 3DS to a friend, and in order to play a game, he updated it.
The thing is that I used an ancient r4 card clone (r4iplat) and now my 3ds blocks it.
Is there any software compatible with it?(thanks to the site now being closed)
Or do I just search for another way to play games on it?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I lent my 3DS to a friend, and in order to play a game, he updated it.
The thing is that I used an ancient r4 card clone (r4iplat) and now my 3ds blocks it.
Is there any software compatible with it?(thanks to the site now being closed)
Or do I just search for another way to play games on it?
so any ds flashcard blocked by an update can be made to play again if you install cfw . . . cfw will also allow you to play .cia files (.3ds roms in an install-able format)
you can install cfw for free using this guide Frogminer Guide

Last edited by wormdood,

askanison42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
old 3ds
cfw sys11.8.0-41u
luma 9.1
godmode 9

just did a sd card upgrade for a 4gb to a 64gb. fat32, primary, 32k cluster. transferred data from old card to new card via laptop. now when after i put the new card in and power up my new apps (hblauncher, fbi, etc..) are now missing? any help on what im doing wrong or what to do to fix it? Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
old 3ds
cfw sys11.8.0-41u
luma 9.1
godmode 9

just did a sd card upgrade for a 4gb to a 64gb. fat32, primary, 32k cluster. transferred data from old card to new card via laptop. now when after i put the new card in and power up my new apps (hblauncher, fbi, etc..) are now missing? any help on what im doing wrong or what to do to fix it? Thanks ahead of time for any replies.
Check it with H2testw.

Leshe

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So, thanks to worndood, i now have the cfw correcly installed (thanks man), I downloaded a few games on the sd card, and they work fine. My r4 card boots up, I can choose the game i want to play, but when I choose the game, it doesn't load.
And yes, I have the correct software for it.

askanison42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check it with .

Warning: Only 60734 of 60902 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 36.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 70.1 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

It appears that the test was finished without errors

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else seeing this? nds-card.com has been offline for over a day. :(

I wonder if this has anything to do with switching over to mod3dscard.com if that's them rebranded.

proshot82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With cfw, are there any tools which allow to set a password to start certain games/apps? Or even to access 3ds home screen? I installed cfw for my kid to be able to play some games in his mother language, but things are getting out of control a bit.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With cfw, are there any tools which allow to set a password to start certain games/apps? Or even to access 3ds home screen? I installed cfw for my kid to be able to play some games in his mother language, but things are getting out of control a bit.
Luma PIN lock to completely prevent booting:
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Optional-features

Other than this: Official parental controls can restrict games according to their age rating (if I remember correctly).

proshot82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma PIN lock to completely prevent booting:

Other than this: Official parental controls can restrict games according to their age rating (if I remember correctly).
Thank you! Note to self - read the manual. One more question - what is the proper way (if any) to do a full backup of hacked 3ds with CFW so that it can be restored on the same or new device? I'm talking kind of mac "time machine" type of backup, so that all settings, home screen folders, games, game saves etc. would restore to it original state.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you! Note to self - read the manual. One more question - what is the proper way (if any) to do a full backup of hacked 3ds with CFW so that it can be restored on the same or new device? I'm talking kind of mac "time machine" type of backup, so that all settings, home screen folders, games, game saves etc. would restore to it original state.
Never try to restore a NAND backup on different 3DS! They are not interchangeable.

If you followed 3ds.hacks.guide, you should already have made a NAND-backup. If not, start GodMode9 and use the GM9MegaScript to make one. Detailed instructions here:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup#section-viii---backup-essential-files

Copy (or move if you need space on the SD-card) the NAND-backup (in SD:/gm9/out) to your computer after finishing.
Copy the SD:/Nintendo 3DS (this is where the games and saves are) to your computer.

In case you need it, restore the NAND-backup with GodMode9 and the MegaScript, copy the backed up "Nintendo 3DS" folder to a SD-card.

Further reading about backing up saves and transfer from one system to another:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-system-transfer-today-whats-the-best-way.518867/

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as an old geezer with a New 3DS XL on Sysnand 9.2.0-20U and Emunand Rei 10.7.0-32U do any of you have any idea of how I would go about updating?
  1. Backup all your saves and extdata for HOME Menu games on both your SysNAND and EmuNAND library. Due to antiquity, it's preferable you use the *.cia versions of either Checkpoint, JKSM, or even SaveDataFiler (Nintendo SDK).
    • You're doing this so you don't lose game progress in case anything goes wrong when updating your custom firmware and 3DS firmware.
    • If you're a *.3dsx app user, the payload for your Homebrew Launcher (Grid Launcher, or whatever the hell launchers were from those days) will most likely not work with the new stuff. That's why *.cia versions are recommended.
    • I presume you're familiar with the CIA installer known as FBI? No comment how NASA and SOON2 fares if you were using one of those.

* Step 2 assumes your ReiNAND was an arm9loaderhax type custom firmware.

2. GodMode9 v1.2.8 was the last version that was compatible with the older arm9loaderhax (A9LH). You're going to have figure how to launch this in ReiNAND or switch over to using Luma3DS v7.0.5 when backing up your games as *.cia from your EmuNAND.
  • It's time to ditch your EmuNAND. It is more trouble than it's worth. Unless you're a dev or someone who messes around with the CTRNAND drive a lot, EmuNAND and RedNAND has no purpose for the average user using modern 3DS custom firmware.
  • Backup all your games, DLCs, and updates found on your EmuNAND. You're going to be reinstalling and combining those onto your SysNAND.
  • I also presume you're a Gateway 3DS flashcart user. It's time to give up on that, too.

3. Copy all your stuff found on your SD card over to your computer. Using MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition), delete both partitions and recombine them with the following settings:
  • Format: FAT32
  • Cluster Size: 32 KB
  • Partition: Primary
  • Disk: MBR
  1. Delete Partition
  2. Initialize to MBR Disk -or- Convert GPT to MBR Disk (if it's in GPT Disk)
  3. Rebuild MBR
  4. Create a New Partition [ Create as: Primary | File System: FAT32 | Cluster Size: 32 KB ]
4. While the card is empty, do a Full Write + Verify Test with H2testw. Do not skip this step.
  • You need to ensure your card isn't fake or faulty.
  • Updating the custom firmware with a bad card can brick the 3DS.
  • If it passes with error, delete the *.h2w test files. If it does not, replace the card and redo the test on the replacement.

5. Follow these guides in this order.
I. A9LH to B9S
II. Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS
III. System Settings → Other Settings → System UpdateSys 11.8.0-41U
  • You'll want to be on boot9strap v1.3 while having Luma3DS v9.1 and GodMode9 v1.7.1 on both your SD card and CTRNAND.
  • There are no benefits staying on a lower 3DS firmware. You just lock yourself from Nintendo eShop and online play.
  • As long as you follow the precautions here and don't cheat in online games, you shouldn't get banned.
6. Copy all your stuff back over. Reinstall all your backed up *.cias and restore the saves + extdata with your save manager of choice.

7. Backup your SysNAND and keep the image safe somewhere on your computer or external drive.
If you need catching up on between the time you last followed the 3DS homebrew scene and now, read this:

Some of your favorite apps may have been discontinued and succeeded. If you're not sure where to pick up from, check out the CFW starter kit and the Update Changes Log for reference found here.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: NFates and Hide616

Hide616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you have RxTools, follow The Guide from SysNAND, and when you're prompted to inject your EmuNAND into the SysNAND, do it.

Soundhax is the best exploit for your firmware.

1. Backup all your saves and extdata for HOME Menu games on both your SysNAND and EmuNAND library. Due to antiquity, it's preferable you use the *.cia versions of either Checkpoint, JKSM, or even SaveDataFiler (Nintendo SDK).
    • You're doing this so you don't lose game progress in case anything goes wrong when updating your custom firmware and 3DS firmware.
    • If you're a *.3dsx app user, the payload for your Homebrew Launcher (Grid Launcher, or whatever the hell launchers were from those days) will most likely not work with the new stuff. That's why *.cia versions are recommended.
    • I presume you're familiar with the CIA installer known as FBI? No comment how NASA and SOON2 fares if you were using one of those.
* Step 2 assumes your ReiNAND was an arm9loaderhax type custom firmware.

2. GodMode9 v1.2.8 was the last version that was compatible with the older arm9loaderhax (A9LH). You're going to have figure how to launch this in ReiNAND or switch over to using Luma3DS v7.0.5 when backing up your games as *.cia from your EmuNAND.
  • It's time to ditch your EmuNAND. It is more trouble than it's worth. Unless you're a dev or someone who messes around with the CTRNAND drive a lot, EmuNAND and RedNAND has no purpose for the average user using modern 3DS custom firmware.
  • Backup all your games, DLCs, and updates found on your EmuNAND. You're going to be reinstalling and combining those onto your SysNAND.
  • I also presume you're a Gateway 3DS flashcart user. It's time to give up on that, too.

3. Copy all your stuff found on your SD card over to your computer. Using MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition), delete both partitions and recombine them with the following settings:
  • Format: FAT32
  • Cluster Size: 32 KB
  • Partition: Primary
  • Disk: MBR
  1. Delete Partition
  2. Initialize to MBR Disk -or- Convert GPT to MBR Disk (if it's in GPT Disk)
  3. Rebuild MBR
  4. Create a New Partition [ Create as: Primary | File System: FAT32 | Cluster Size: 32 KB ]
4. While the card is empty, do a Full Write + Verify Test with H2testw. Do not skip this step.
  • You need to ensure your card isn't fake or faulty.
  • Updating the custom firmware with a bad card can brick the 3DS.
  • If it passes with error, delete the *.h2w test files. If it does not, replace the card and redo the test on the replacement.

5. Follow these guides in this order.
I. A9LH to B9S
II. Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS
III. System Settings → Other Settings → System UpdateSys 11.8.0-41U
  • You'll want to be on boot9strap v1.3 while having Luma3DS v9.1 and GodMode9 v1.7.1 on both your SD card and CTRNAND.
  • There are no benefits staying on a lower 3DS firmware. You just lock yourself from Nintendo eShop and online play.
  • As long as you follow the precautions here and don't cheat in online games, you shouldn't get banned.
6. Copy all your stuff back over. Reinstall all your backed up *.cias and restore the saves + extdata with your save manager of choice.

7. Backup your SysNAND and keep the image safe somewhere on your computer or external drive.
If you need catching up on between the time you last followed the 3DS homebrew scene and now, read this:

Some of your favorite apps may have been discontinued and succeeded. If you're not sure where to pick up from, check out the CFW starter kit and the Update Changes Log for reference found here.

Thanks guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end