3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. HelpTheWretched

HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    I used to know where to look for these answers, but can't find them at the moment.

My Old 3DS is physically broken and getting harder to keep repairing, and I found a cheap New 3DS that I might pick up. I'd like to keep both running but might have to System Transfer to the New one.

Anyway, the Old one has Boot9strap and Luma3DS with several modified, unofficial, and freeShop CIAs installed. I'm mainly wondering if there's any risk involved with transferring that stuff to an unmodified N3DS, be it bricking or losing certain apps or what-not. Would it be more safe somehow if the N3DS is modified first?

I also have a large collection of badges (legit, not custom) and I heard somewhere that badge collections can't be transferred. True/false?

2. hack3r2507

hack3r2507 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Hey! I did not use my 3DS for a long time. When I booted up my them is gone and it is just this standard them. Also: Some games don't have these animations on the upper screen. Right now I am nut sure if I already updated to B9S from A9LH. Should I just update B9S and Luma?

3. AtelierMari

AtelierMari Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2013
    Thank you! I have another question now though and it's a bit of a longer one if anyone is willing to help.

So basically, a few years ago I used browserhax to install NTRboot or something like that on my 3DS (sorry im not very tech savvy ^_^;) but my 3DS was accidentally updated by my cousin a couple months later, so I couldn't access the CFW anymore. At this point, I decided to just replace the files on my 3DS with the ones I backed up originally, since I figured that'd get rid of the CFW, but I never actually had the chance to uninstall it because after the update I couldn't access it anymore.

If I wanted to hack my 3DS again, would this increase the chance of bricking/ruining my system or will it not matter? I'm really unsure whether I should attempt it or not.

4. hack3r2507

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I am following [ https://3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s ] because I have not used my 3DS for a while and Games and stuff are messed up. Anyways: When pressing start it just boots into GodMode and no Chianloader

Last edited by hack3r2507, Oct 13, 2018
  5. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably at home.
    Most likely it is still hacked. What happens if you press Select while booting?

Did you delete your Themes folder? What do you mean with "animations" on the top screen? Lastly, what happens if you press Select while booting?

6. AtelierMari

AtelierMari Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2013
    Nothing seems to happen at all when I start while pressing or holding select. Keep in mind I replaced the files that were on my SD card and have updated since then if that changes anything.

7. NFates

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably at home.
    Hmm. You said you didn't uninstall it, and if you really installed CFW, it should still be there.

You used a Homebrew Launcher thing only, for themes or save managing, or could you also install games?

8. AtelierMari

AtelierMari Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2013
    I used homebrew launcher and installed something from that, I don't remember what it was though but it was so I didn't have to go through browserhacks and could boot into the homebrew launcher instead. I wasn't able to play pirated 3DS games or anything with it though.

9. hack3r2507

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    Gambia, The
    No but I fixed it. Thank you anyways :D

10. NFates

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably at home.
    Oh, so you had menuhax. That is not CFW, and yes, you "uninstalled" it.

Use The Guide for getting CFW.

11. AtelierMari

AtelierMari Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2013
    Oh ok that's great then. Thank you for the help ^_^ but i'm sure ill be back with more problems! XD

12. s0nicfreak

s0nicfreak Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    s0nicfreak is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 14, 2004
    United States
    near chicago
    I'm trying to follow the instructions at 3ds.hacks.guide on a JPN 2ds (11.8) using ほぼ日の健康手帳. So as instructed I'm following http://steelminer.jisagi.net/ but I get stuck at Section IV, because ほぼ日の健康手帳 isn't making a save file on the sd card for me to replace. It's saving on the console only. Copying the game to SD card doesn't put a save on the SD card. Am I doing something wrong or does this not work anymore?

13. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    That guide doesn't talk about ほぼ日の健康手帳, so I'm not sure what you mean..?

I think you might need the instructions at https://gbatemp.net/threads/steelminer-jpn-free-cfw-us-eu-jp-free-homebrew.506166/ .

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So this is probably a stupid question:

I have a "purple mario" r4i3ds.com flashcart that I picked up on the cheap. A little Googling brought me to this old therad and RetroGameFan's Updates, indicating that it's apparently a DSTT/i clone. Using that I got it to work on my old DS Lite, but it will not work on my 11.6 o3DS XL - the cart comes up as Deep Labyrinth, but trying to start it brings up a 3DS error message.

There's no way I can get this cart to work on my 3DS without installing CFW first, right? (Archive.org suggests the site has been down since 2012.)

14. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yeah you will probably need CFW. If there's no indication of it working after firmware 6.0 it won't work on the latest (6.0 is when Nintendo stopped blocking specific DS flashcarts).

15. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    Right, but isn't the firmware on some of these cards supposed to be upgradable, in order to circumvent Nintendo's blocks?

I see there's a program out there called "DSTT Flash Checker" that is apparently used to check if a DSTT card is flashable, but if my card checks out, would I be able to flash it with anything?

16. Dimcreed

Dimcreed Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greece
    Hello I have a 2ds on 11.8 and one friend of mine cfw it so I can install games via FBI . My question is how I can play ds games too? Do I need a card that I saw on EBay? Or they are not gonna work? Thanks a lot

17. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Dimcreed likes this.
  18. Dimcreed

Dimcreed Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greece
    So I need a flashcard I saw some on EBay with many games are they gonna work? Or I can play directed from my sd card? And is there any updated video to show how to install this? Thank you so much for the answer , I wanna play Final Fantasy from ds and Chrono trigger so bad

Last edited by Dimcreed, Oct 14, 2018
  19. s0nicfreak

s0nicfreak Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    s0nicfreak is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 14, 2004
    United States
    near chicago
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(seedminer)

Section II says JPN ほぼ日の健康手帳™ users should follow http://steelminer.jisagi.net/ instead of this section. Once those instructions have been completed, resume this guide at “Section III - DSiWare Injection”.

Instruction 1 in your link is to do http://steelminer.jisagi.net

20. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    You do not need a flashcard for many games. TWiLight Menu++ can start them from the SD-card within the 2DS.

Download TWiLight Menu++ from the thread I mentioned. There are all instructions you need. Scroll down to "Instructions (CFW 3DS/2DS users)"

TurdPooCharger and Dimcreed like this.