3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, but make sure the flashcart says it works on latest firmware before buying it.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  2. G0rril4z

G0rril4z Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Guys, I'm trying to decide which way to go when buying a New 3DS, so I have a few questions:

1) Flashcards (no custom firmware at all)
    - Is the Sky3DS working with the 11.8 firmware? Is it possible to safelly play online with it and how?
    - Which flashcard should I buy to play NDS and Emulators like SNES, Genesis, Gba, GBC on N3DS? (if it is possible to play those emulators on flashcard)

2) CFW
    - Which method is the best/safest to softmode N3DS to play on and offline games today?
    - I heard that Nintendo is banning some softmoded N3DS, is it true? Why and how to prevent that?

3. DiscoMunkey

DiscoMunkey Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2018
    United States
    Thanks to you guys I have a cfw Wii u and it's awesome.

Question- If all I want to do is run NES/SNES emulators do I need to do the cfw/homebrew stuff or just a flashcart and sd like I have read. I have a new 2ds xl current fw btw

Pretty sure reading thru here it will just want verification

Last edited by DiscoMunkey, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can get homebrew access only by using steelminer - check out http://steelminer.jisagi.net/ for a guide. It isn't that much extra work to get CFW after you've done this though. If you are interested, after you've installed steelminer for homebrew access look at https://jisagi.github.io/FrogminerGuide/

For nes emulators it may be possible to run those with normal DS flashcarts, but for snes you will need a DSTwo. Much cheaper and easier to use homebrew.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Oct 10, 2018
  5. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    Okay, I'm trying to install a hack on my 3ds, and am completely stuck on what to do after getting homebrew. What do I do?

6. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    unless your unable to read. There was a reply to your other post about this which goes over a lot of what you can do next. What hack are you trying to get?

7. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    I came here looking for a more in-depth explanation as to what to do after this. I'm genuinely just lost and confused since I only started tinkering with my 3DS today. As for what game I'm trying to hack, I'm trying to hack Fire Emblem Awakening to get the Gay Awakening hack. Sorry if this isn't the right place to go, I'm just in need of help ;-;

8. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can use frogminer. See the guide link a few posts up. If you have access to homebrew already you won't need to do steelminer.

9. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    Well, I've tried using frogminer, but I got stuck at the first step of part 2, since my homebrew app wouldn't launch anymore

10. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Why not, what happens? Do you have CFW already? What do you see if you hold Select on boot?

11. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    Well, when I open Homebrew, it sends me to a debug screen, and I'm not sure why. As for if I have CFW already, that's a no. And if I hold select on boot, it just takes me to the home screen as usual

12. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Can you show a picture or a video (vimeo is an easy way to upload videos)? How are you opening homebrew?

13. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    This is the best quality I can get for a photo, and I'm opening Homebrew through Steel Diver

Attached Files:

14. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  15. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
  16. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
  17. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you've finished the frogminer guide, you've already hacked your 3DS. Did it not work? Do you mean like rom hacks? There's a forum just for that stuff, check it out and you might find some things you want to try.

18. G0rril4z

G0rril4z Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Someone please could help me with those questions? I dont know much about the 3DS scene. Thanks in advance.

19. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    1) Flashcards: It is not necessary to repeat everything about DS-flashcards. Just look here:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-picking-out-a-ds-flashcart.519670/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/looking...-compatible-ds-flashcard.520354/#post-8326551
    You do not need an expensive(!) flashcard for 3DS games. CFW can do much more and is free.

2) CFW: It gives you access to emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, GB(C) and some other. New 3DS can emulate GBA and you can use Virtual Console injection to run GBA games directly. You can install any 3DS games. Many DS games also work without a flashcard:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-i-3ds-twilight-menu-dsimenu-srloader-ds-i-menu-replacement.472200/

You said, you don’t know much about the 3DS scene. I’d recommend you to to some reading. Take your time. Almost anything you need to know about hacking your 3DS is on

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

The only part, that is not (yet) on the guide is Frogminer. If you are on a firmware >=11.4 and do not own a ntrboot compatible flashcard, you can update to 11.8 and use Frogminer for installing B9S and Luma free.

http://steelminer.jisagi.net/
    https://jisagi.github.io/FrogminerGuide/

If you carefully read the guide(s) and directly follow each step there is not much risk to brick your device. It is pretty safe and almost foolproof.

About online play and bans… I do not know from own experience (never played online in my life with anything and I never play games without paying for them). So I can only repeat what is always said about this here on GBAtemp:
    Do not do anything stupid like cheating online, playing pirated games online BEFORE they are officially released and deactivate “Sending of System Information” and “Show friends what you’re playing”. You should be fine then.

TurdPooCharger and Quantumcat like this.
  20. Nuggets56

Nuggets56 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    Okay, thank you! I’ll be sure to check it out (:

21. vladone97

vladone97 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2016
    Romania
    I've been out of the 3ds hacking scene for a really long time. How long? So long that I still use a Gateway card. After all, I bought it before Luma came out and even though it's no longer officially supported, it still did a pretty good job when it comes to whatever I wanted to do with it. Even online play. I installed this frankenfirmware emunand here and used it along with freemultipatcher to play online. Then 11.8 came out and I was unable to play online anymore. However, I read somewhere that even if you can't update to the latest version on Gateway emunand, you can spoof your firmware by updating cver, nver, friends, eshop and eshop mint using sysupdater in emunand to access online features. Would that be safe to do on this frankenfirmware emunand I'm currently on? And if the answer is yes, are these the things I need to update?

Last edited by vladone97, Oct 10, 2018