• Views 4,485,226
  • Replies 53,787
  • Likes 43

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I have a dumb question. Why must I update to the newest system version (11.8) to go online (on Smash), when yesterday I could go online without it asking me to update? I'm really confused. It is not allowing me to go online on smash, and says I need to update. It was working just fine yesterday, and didn't ask me to update. I don't want to update, because apparently it's not safe. I have luma and b9strap, and am on 11.7. Is there a way I can continue to go online on smash without having to update?
nope. They made it official today a few hours ago that you HAVE to be on 11.8 if you plan on going online now.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Okay, so I have a dumb question. Why must I update to the newest system version (11.8) to go online (on Smash), when yesterday I could go online without it asking me to update? I'm really confused. It is not allowing me to go online on smash, and says I need to update. It was working just fine yesterday, and didn't ask me to update. I don't want to update, because apparently it's not safe. I have luma and b9strap, and am on 11.7. Is there a way I can continue to go online on smash without having to update?
It is safe, and there's no way to go online without updating. As this is asked a million times I had this ready:
The checks only occur at install time while downloading from their CDN (like freeShop does), and the checks that actually send console info that could get you banned occur while using the NIM module, and that module is used on sleep downloads.

In short, previously downloaded games are fine, and installing not-blocked titles (here is a list) not on sleep downloads is fine too.

The FBI thing you misheard is for when all (or most) titles are blocked by Nintendo and you can't download them through freeShop. When that happens you'll have to look up the .cia of the game and install it through FBI.

Playing online is fine, except for cheats and unreleased games.

I recommend updating, as you won't lose anything. The changes are made serverside, so staying on a lower firmware version doesn't help.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

firefist202

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You need to be on the latest Luma version (9.1), but if you have it you're good to go.
Isn't there a problem with Luma 9.1 right now? I have to download something from github right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just grab the newest luma3ds or your going to think you screwed up. 11.8 makes previous versions of luma not work. So you need the most recent fix for it.
Should I do a "Nand backup" first?

Just grab the newest luma3ds or your going to think you screwed up. 11.8 makes previous versions of luma not work. So you need the most recent fix for it.
I need to get it from github right? Theres a problem with it right now right?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Isn't there a problem with Luma 9.1 right now? I have to download something from github right?

Should I do a "Nand backup" first?

I need to get it from github right? Theres a problem with it right now right?
There's no problem with 9.1 that I know of. You can do a NAND backup if you like (will allow you to go back to 11.7 if you choose) but there's no particular reason to.

Reactions: NFates

firefist202

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's no problem with 9.1 that I know of. You can do a NAND backup if you like (will allow you to go back to 11.7 if you choose) but there's no particular reason to.
Ok I won't then. But people are saying there is an issue with Luma updating to 9.1? When I use luma updater, I get an error too

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

firefist202

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Quantumcat

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo is now forcing me to update my 3DS to 11.8 in order to use online functions now. I made sure to take all the precautions like updating Luma and deleting freeshop and stuff like that, so should I update now since everything, for me at least, is safe?

Last edited by AwesomeSaucemGuy,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo is now forcing me to update my 3DS to 11.8 in order to use online functions now. I made sure to take all the precautions like updating Luma and deleting freeshop and stuff like that, so should I update now since everything, for me at least, is safe?
Yes you can update.

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
You didn't have to uninstall freeShop as the only red flag in using it is downloading through sleep mode.

But yes, as Quantum said, you can update.

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You didn't have to uninstall freeShop as the only red flag in using it is downloading through sleep mode.

But yes, as Quantum said, you can update.
I still have my freeshop folder in the 3ds folder on the root of SD Card. Since I deleted freeshop but still have one game from it, can I delete the folder without losing any data in the one game I got from the app itself?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I still have my freeshop folder in the 3ds folder on the root of SD Card. Since I deleted freeshop but still have one game from it, can I delete the folder without losing any data in the one game I got from the app itself?
Your fine to have that on there still. Its rather hilarious to see everyone in such a bunch over this.

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
So I’ve just seen a post saying to go online you must now update 11.8, this is something I do across various systems, will any risks incur from a previous usage of the shady shop in future whilst playing online in 11.8? Thank you.

Edit: if there’s anything I can do to help with this before updating please tell me ~

Last edited by proflayton123,

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
So I’ve just seen a post saying to go online you must now update 11.8, this is something I do across various systems, will any risks incur from a previous usage of the shady shop in future whilst playing online in 11.8? Thank you.
Probably not, just avoid downloading in sleep mode on 11.8 . Also, you can name freeShop here in the Temp.

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My friends are about to CFW their 3DS’s using the seedminer method and Sudoku. If they follow the tutorial as instructed without mistakes, will everything be fine? And also, should they turn off their spotpass and friend sharing data stuff beforehand?

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
My friends are about to CFW their 3DS’s using the seedminer method and Sudoku. If they follow the tutorial as instructed without mistakes, will everything be fine? And also, should they turn off their spotpass and friend sharing data stuff beforehand?
If things were not going to be fine we wouldn't recommend CFW to everybody.

It doesn't matter when they turn off those settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c95QJXRKdIw&pp=ygUdcmFtYm8gMiBtaXNzaW9uIGFjY29tcGxpc2hlZCA%3D