• Views 4,434,528
  • Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recommend 64 or 128 GB, 256 seems like too much. Use guiformat and format your card as FAT32 with 32kb of cluster size. You just have to move the contents from one card to the other.

boot.3dsx is the Homebrew Launcher. I think the latest release is 2.0, so if you have that (check by using Rosalina), you're fine.

I think this is the github, too.
So then is the otherapp.bin used to replace the current otherapp.bin on my SD card to make it so that the Homebrew Launcher is supported on 11.7? My Homebrew Launcher is on 2.0 so do I even need an otherapp.bin in order for it to work as I’ve checked my SD card to find no otherapp.bin?

Last edited by AwesomeSaucemGuy,

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
So then is the otherapp.bin used to replace the current otherapp.bin on my SD card to make it so that the Homebrew Launcher is supported on 11.7?

I think the otherapp.bin is not necessary after you have CFW. If you say you don't have it and HBL works... I don't have it, either. The description says it's for some exploits.

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have CFW and all on both of my 3DS’s. Both with Luma, GM9, B9S, and everything like that. I am however wondering what the boot.3dsx is for and how to update it (if that’s even possible) or if you just leave it there?
As other people have said, just update your console, homebrew will still work. You shouldn't need any new files. You only have to worry about homebrew not working after an update when you don't have CFW.

3dschaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings, entirely new to 3DS and I just bought a used New 3DS XL with installed CFW Luma3DS v8.1.1, with system version 11.6.0. How can I confirm that boot9strap is installed? I searched and found results stating that Luma3DS v8 requires b9s 1.2, is that correct then?

Also, the last user gave me the 3DS with his data on it, including NNID. Is it safe to use the "Format System Memory" within the 3DS settings so I have a clean slate? Will it remove b9s? I saw a post in the forums here stating that b9s will not be removed, is that correct as well?

Lastly, I want to make a SYSNAND backup (as advised), but how do I make sure that the current SYSNAND is stock and clean (eg. free from errors and corrupted files)? I just want to keep a SYSNAND backup as stock (but of course incuding b9s).

I'll appreciate your feedback and thank you very much in advance! :)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Greetings, entirely new to 3DS and I just bought a used New 3DS XL with installed CFW Luma3DS v8.1.1, with system version 11.6.0. How can I confirm that boot9strap is installed? I searched and found results stating that Luma3DS v8 requires b9s 1.2, is that correct then?

Also, the last user gave me the 3DS with his data on it, including NNID. Is it safe to use the "Format System Memory" within the 3DS settings so I have a clean slate? Will it remove b9s? I saw a post in the forums here stating that b9s will not be removed, is that correct as well?

Lastly, I want to make a SYSNAND backup (as advised), but how do I make sure that the current SYSNAND is stock and clean (eg. free from errors and corrupted files)? I just want to keep a SYSNAND backup as stock (but of course incuding b9s).

I'll appreciate your feedback and thank you very much in advance! :)
You might like to update to Luma 9.0 - just replace your boot.firm with the one from the latest at https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases (don't get the joyconhax version, that was an April Fools joke).

You definitely have B9S, Luma 8.1.1 is not compatible with any other entry method.

Formatting system memory is fine. You'll have to follow https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup again, because formatting will remove all your homebrew. To get freeShop back, follow the guide in the OP of this thread.

To make a NAND backup, have a look at https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage

Reactions: NFates

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
You might like to update to Luma 9.0 - just replace your boot.firm with the one from the latest at https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases (don't get the joyconhax version, that was an April Fools joke).

You definitely have B9S, Luma 8.1.1 is not compatible with any other entry method.

Formatting system memory is fine. You'll have to follow https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup again, because formatting will remove all your homebrew. To get freeShop back, follow the guide in the OP of this thread.

To make a NAND backup, have a look at https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage

Nice ninja impression Quantum, I was just finishing my also long answer and your alert showed up :rofl:

Reactions: Quantumcat

3dschaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that was fast, thank you for the response Quantumcat! :)
I will update it to v9, thank you for that! :)

Just a follow up question: if I decide to ""Format System Memory" my 3DS, will the resulting SYSNAND then be the most "stock" and cleanest one? Because if so, I would like to make it as the backup (eg. like a fresh install snapshot).

I really appreciate it!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Wow that was fast, thank you for the response Quantumcat! :)
I will update it to v9, thank you for that! :)

Just a follow up question: if I decide to ""Format System Memory" my 3DS, will the resulting SYSNAND then be the most "stock" and cleanest one? Because if so, I would like to make it as the backup (eg. like a fresh install snapshot).

I really appreciate it!
Formatting only removes the user data, there's no benefit to making a NAND backup after formatting. You'd make a NAND backup if you wanted to protect your user data. If your console ever bricks and you don't have a NAND backup it doesn't matter as you can use a CTR transfer (like a universal NAND backup).

3dschaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Quantumcat, at the moment I want to get rid of the current user data (which Ill get by Formatting System), and also get the cleanest SYSNAND, what can you suggest for that? Is the existing SYSNAND after formatting good enough for backup?

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Hello Quantumcat, at the moment I want to get rid of the current user data (which Ill get by Formatting System), and also get the cleanest SYSNAND, what can you suggest for that? Is the existing SYSNAND after formatting good enough for backup?

It's good enough for backup, but as Quantum said, there's no point on backing up a NAND that was just formatted. When you have your games and stuff, then you should do it.

If anything happened short-term, you could just do a CTRTransfer and everything would be fine.

Reactions: Quantumcat

3dschaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the response NFates :)

I read about CTRTransfer, and it looks to be the actual "stock" firmware installer of the 3DS, is that right?
Does it mean I do not have to keep a SYSNAND backup at all, as I can just do CTRTransfer if I want a fresh firmware? Does doing CTRTransfer remove b9s?

unvaluablespace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a little TOO confident will how safe cfw is and when trying to upgrade my sd card, I went into settings and used the "format system memory" function. Now when i try to restore my files from the backup i created, the 3ds doesnt see any of the existing stuff that was installed (so no games, cfw tools like luma downloader, fbi, anemone, etc). I read that all you had to do was backup all files and copy them to the new sd card, but i shouldnt have added in the format system memory part myself. oops.

Since I did create a backup of everything, is there a way to restore everything back onto the card so the 3DS can see it again?

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Thank you for the response NFates :)

I read about CTRTransfer, and it looks to be the actual "stock" firmware installer of the 3DS, is that right?
Does it mean I do not have to keep a SYSNAND backup at all, as I can just do CTRTransfer if I want a fresh firmware? Does doing CTRTransfer remove b9s?

You should do a NAND backup if you want to keep some of your data. And that's why it's pointless to do one now: you don't have any data to backup.

No, doing a CTRTransfer doesn't remlve CFW.

So I got a little TOO confident will how safe cfw is and when trying to upgrade my sd card, I went into settings and used the "format system memory" function. Now when i try to restore my files from the backup i created, the 3ds doesnt see any of the existing stuff that was installed (so no games, cfw tools like luma downloader, fbi, anemone, etc). I read that all you had to do was backup all files and copy them to the new sd card, but i shouldnt have added in the format system memory part myself. oops.

Since I did create a backup of everything, is there a way to restore everything back onto the card so the 3DS can see it again?

Maybe if you restore a NAND backup and put your files back in there. I'm not sure, it's just an idea, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have two folders in my 3ds folder on the root of my SD Card. One says “data” and the other says “freeshop” but within the data folder is the exact same freeshop folder within the 3ds folder, except within the data folder. Should I delete one of them or something?

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
I have two folders in my 3ds folder on the root of my SD Card. One says “data” and the other says “freeshop” but within the data folder is the exact same freeshop folder within the 3ds folder, except within the data folder. Should I delete one of them or something?

Delete the data folder.

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it still safe to download themes from websites and put them on your 3DS? If that’s the case, then what can I do to do that. I’ve heard about Anemone3DS and how it’s installable on TitleDB. Should I use that if it’s safe?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this a safe method? Sorry for the worrying but can you get banned from having custom themes?
I wouldn't worry. No one has ever been banned for having a custom theme. If you've already got b9s etc, I think the custom theme isn't doing in extra damage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?