• Views 4,457,947
  • Replies 53,773
  • Likes 43

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an old 3DS on fw 9.2 and a 3DS XL on 9.2 as well. The o3ds has the Cubic Ninja hack installed and working.

I've been watching the 3DS hacking scene on and off for a LONG time and decided it might be time to make a move. I was thinking about getting either a Sky3DS plus (orange button) or going the CFW route. I see the logic in the Sky3DS plus..... seems to work on any firmware (same for the Gateway?). Sure, changing games with the Sky SORTA sucks but it's doable. Does the GW still need an internet connection to work its magic?

For the CFW, I was looking at going the Luma/A9LH route and found this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki but good God man.......... 312 steps and if you muck something up, insta-brick. Popping in a Sky3DS card seems WAY WAY easier. Plus, it seems that installing CIA files takes a LONG time vs. just copying over 3DS files to a MicroSD card and sliding it into the Sky3DS.

Is the 4,000 step process to install Luma (and slow ass .CIA install times) worth it? My youngest daughter is just now getting into the 3DS and on long road trips, it sure would be nice to have a single 3DS and 1 cart vs her ever growing bag of DS/3DS games she now lugs around.

I like the option of CIA installs since they'll appear right on the main menu and no orange buttons to push to cycle through the games 1 by 1 but all these complaints I read about slow install times for CIA files worries me.

Thoughts/opinions welcomed, thanks!
you should really go the route of custom firmware, it's completely free.

Gateway only required internet once to be setup once, in some cases I think.

yes, Plailect's guide is long, but it's long because it's safe and makes sure your console doesn't brick in most cases. I'm sure you'd do fine with it.

you can use things like freeShop (or CIAs) to install games. yes it can be long for larger CIAs, but it's not really much longer than copying roms to a flash cart. buying an expensive flash cart just to shave off a few minutes off copying/installing is not worth it since you usually just install/copy once. I have a Sky3DS+ yet I don't use it much anymore outside of exploit games, CIAs/digital games are so much more convenient.

Last edited by ihaveahax,
D

Deleted User

Hello again, I need some help again :c

I had a old 3ds with a fantasy life save on it. That 3ds is bricked now. I was able to copy the save file with the sky3ds diskwriter and I got a .sav file as a result. I also have the contents which were in the SD card (files from 00000001 to 00000008 without extension).

Now, I'm using a new 3ds. I've installed Luma3DS, and then fantasy life as a .cia file.

Is there anyway to import or inject my old save into my new 3ds?

I've tried using SaveDataFiler and JK savemanager, but I assume they only work with .fsd files for this game and I cannot find a way to convert my old save to this format.

avocado

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I have this 3DS OFW v4.5 which had RXTools CFW v11.x before.
Now, I am planning to install Luma3DS+a9lh from scratch.
So, I formated the microSD.

I did the tutorial from https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update-(rxTools-2.5.2) step-by-step until finish with a fresh microSD.
at the end of this, I see that the FW is still v4.5.

Temptress Cerise gave some hints before that I need to use another microSD.
Today I format (ERASE, not QUICK format) my microSD.
I still use the same microSD because that is all I have now with big enough space.
I redo all the steps, but still it shows v4.5.

my suspicion is
1. in the step 28. Let it install any files it needs to.
AFter I pressed R, it shows menu and no installation seems to be done.
What exactly should I do in this step?

2. should I sysUpdater.cia from home screen at the end of the tutorial?
I tried that but the machine gives me error message.

Last edited by avocado,

soitre

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sonixgvn.net
XP
Country
I believe the issue is actually with Gateway's software. Gateway's software can't launch DS/DSi software. If you use another CFW (i.e. Luma or Cakes), the Gateway blue card will work if the bluecardfix has been installed.

Thank you for your answer. I followed Plailect's guide to install arm9 hack on my O3DS (I didn't use Gateway red card in this process).
So, is my sysnand right now CFW Luma (because I can run Luma updater)? If not, how do i install to another CFW?
I tried Gateway blue card (with SD have files they provided) + install bluecardfix on my sysnand, but no success.

Last edited by soitre,

Houjin

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Today I was creating cia files for 2 games (Mario Kart 7 and Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros. if that matters). I converted both games at the same time, created the ncchinfo.bin file, afterwards created the xorpads files, etc. I installed both games on my o3ds and they are both working fine.
But when creating the xorpads files I noticed something: (I hope at this point there will be my screenshot shown now^^)
show.php

show.php

show.php

Why does it say that something will fail at the beginning, and what does it mean exactly?
Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Houjin,

iKaran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a way to bypass the message and use the browser again.
You only need to set the date to january 1st 2000 00:00 and delete your browser's history/cookies. Once done, I recommend you to update to 9.2 instead of beibg in 7.x, because that way you'll be able to use homebrew too (without cubic ninja, homebrew requires 9.0+)
Here you have a guide

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
Problem is that I don't have acces to browser. If I start it, I get a message that browser will become avaliable once I update my firmware. Can't delete cookies or history

Protatoxxxeater

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I might have turned my 3DS into a paperweight.
Lemme explain. A9LH boots up, but when I try to go into a CFW, it just goes black and never comes out of it. What do? I havent done anything that affects my NAND (only snes games and using freeshop). I can access apps through A9LH, as i'm using Luma 3DS. Thanks.
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
Boot into homebrew and load from there, if it goes black but the screen is still on wait for about 5 minutes then reboot through homebrew. If it doesn't work replace cfw files and reinstall

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My question is simple: What method should I currently be using to play backups and region free games? I'm looking for ease of use, fast future firmware compatibility, and stability.

I've had gateway for a long time now, but I'm not sure if it's the best route. Should I just keep things simple and use the gateway arm9 installer (when it's out of beta), or is there a better solution?

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question is simple: What method should I currently be using to play backups and region free games? I'm looking for ease of use, fast future firmware compatibility, and stability.

I've had gateway for a long time now, but I'm not sure if it's the best route. Should I just keep things simple and use the gateway arm9 installer (when it's out of beta), or is there a better solution?
Don't use GW garbage. Even when it makes it out of BETA if it ever does. Use the following guide which GW based all their garbage off anyhow.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

Reactions: proflayton123

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, time to ditch gateway. I'm a dumbass and used their time machine tool to upgrade my 9.0 sysnand to 9.2. Will this affect anything?

No, just make sure 9.2 is fully functional and than use emunand9 or decrypt9 to make a backup of sysnand and keep that safe. It's in the tutorial, but best is to start with that right away.

Reactions: proflayton123

zb123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not really though 9.0 -> 9.2 was a bit pointless (nothing really changed). everything should be fine.

My only concern is my lack of trust in Gateway. I know this is only speculation but could they have injected any of their own code into the 9.2 sysnand I upgraded to?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only concern is my lack of trust in Gateway. I know this is only speculation but could they have injected any of their own code into the 9.2 sysnand I upgraded to?
no, it's kind of impossible to do what you're probably thinking of. you'll be fine.

P

PaiiNSteven

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
Boot into homebrew and load from there, if it goes black but the screen is still on wait for about 5 minutes then reboot through homebrew. If it doesn't work replace cfw files and reinstall
Do you mean booting from another CFW and loading from that CFW?
I've tried Luma, SaltFW, and Corbenik. None worked. Also replaced the files twice on each. Dunno why this happened at all... havent been messing with NAND and only been playing GBA games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y