• Replies 53,813
  • Likes 43

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
Not at all.
If you order one and it comes with 9.6, go for a9lh (or SysNAND + RedNAND)
If you order one and it comes with 10.7 (but it's not going to happen), go for Powersave + OOT in order to go for a9lh (or SysNAND + RedNAND)

JayDz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not at all.
If you order one and it comes with 9.6, go for a9lh (or SysNAND + RedNAND)
If you order one and it comes with 10.7 (but it's not going to happen), go for Powersave + OOT in order to go for a9lh (or SysNAND + RedNAND)

I am a complete noob and don't want to do anything that "might" permanently brick my device because im going to buy a brand new one and would be sad.
If my device will be 9.6 can't I install homebrew launcher + fbi to install 3ds/cia games/roms? Sorry if im wrong because im new to this section.
edit: or shall i just buy a flashcard if i dont want to risk anything

Last edited by JayDz,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am a complete noob and don't want to do anything that "might" permanently brick my device because im going to buy a brand new one and would be sad.
If my device will be 9.6 can't I install homebrew launcher + fbi to install 3ds/cia games/roms? Sorry if im wrong because im new to this section.
edit: or shall i just buy a flashcard if i dont want to risk anything
Nope. You'd be able to install legit cias, but that's about it. The Homebrew Launcher doesn't support launching unsigned games on its own. You'll at a minimum need to downgrade to 9.2 and set up a CFW to play unsigned games.

Setting up A9lh is very safe at this point. Most, if not all bricks are due to user error. As long as you follow Plailect's guide, you'll be perfectly safe setting up A9lh on your 3DS. I've set it up on 3 3DSes and haven't had any issues.

JayDz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nope. You'd be able to install legit cias, but that's about it. The Homebrew Launcher doesn't support launching unsigned games on its own. You'll at a minimum need to downgrade to 9.2 and set up a CFW to play unsigned games.

Setting up A9lh is very safe at this point. Most, if not all bricks are due to user error. As long as you follow Plailect's guide, you'll be perfectly safe setting up A9lh on your 3DS. I've set it up on 3 3DSes and haven't had any issues.
I just want to be able to play free roms, and to be honest the plailect guide seems quite long/difficult as Im a noob. Maybe I could do it later when I have more knowledge about it all but for first. Could this work?: Buy 3ds > install homebrew on 9.6 > install fbi > install cia games > play those games? And can these games just be played from the homescreen?

Last edited by JayDz,

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Here some options:
Ocarina of time + powersaves (recomended)

Ocarina of time + another 3ds with homebrew (if you have a friend or something)

Cubic ninja

Pokemon super mystery dungeon + another 3ds with homebrew
If people live in the us they can get cubic ninja for less than oot and powersaves. Gamestop has them in stock.

Reactions: Arubaro

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just want to be able to play free roms, and to be honest the plailect guide seems quite long/difficult as Im a noob. Maybe I could do it later when I have more knowledge about it all but for first. Could this work?: Buy 3ds > install homebrew on 9.6 > install fbi > install cia games > play those games?

Yeah that could work too. You can just stop at the end of Part 3 of Plialects Guide. Then you have a redNAND you can use your games with ect ect. The only thing is that you need to boot Luma3ds through the homebrew launcher and that you won't have a 100% boot rate. Besides that, if/when you decide to actually set up A9LH (worth it though) then you can just continue with part 4 of the guide.

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
I just want to be able to play free roms, and to be honest the plailect guide seems quite long/difficult as Im a noob. Maybe I could do it later when I have more knowledge about it all but for first. Could this work?: Buy 3ds > install homebrew on 9.6 > install fbi > install cia games > play those games? And can these games just be played from the homescreen?
YOU CAN ONLY INSTALL AND PLAY LEGIT CIAS ON FW OVER 9.2. The guide is noob friendly(it spoon feeds). You need cfw for non legit cias(hint not every CIA is legit). The homebrew loader doesn't enable piracy so no you can't just use that to play free games.

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that could work too. You can just stop at the end of Part 3 of Plialects Guide. Then you have a redNAND you can use your games with ect ect. The only thing is that you need to boot Luma3ds through the homebrew launcher and that you won't have a 100% boot rate. Besides that, if/when you decide to actually set up A9LH (worth it though) then you can just continue with part 4 of the guide.
Should also be noted that the first 3 parts are the most dangerous as you are downgrading without a nand backup or emunand. With that said it's really not that dangerous as long as the guide is followed.

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to have two NNIDs linked to one system safely? (Through seperate NANDs) I'm thinking of getting a RedNand so I can use a different ID for eshop, etc. purposes.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: unknownnumber

Temarile

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Temarile

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
15 it doesnt reboot so i try it manualy then get the error and have to boot into restore mode and update then try again

Soo you did this?
15. If you freeze on the "Rebooting in 10 seconds" line for longer than 10 seconds, it is safe to power off your 3DS by holding the power button

Davethedroid1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Soo you did this?
15. If you freeze on the "Rebooting in 10 seconds" line for longer than 10 seconds, it is safe to power off your 3DS by holding the power button
yes and when i reboot i get the "error ocured hold down power button and try again" with or without the SD card inserted

Temarile

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes and when i reboot i get the "error ocured hold down power button and try again" with or without the SD card inserted

Source: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Troubleshooting#ts_sys_down

1. Try booting with your SD card out, and then reinserting it after booting.
    1. Power off your 3DS by holding down the power button.
    2. Take out the SD card.
    3. Power on the 3DS.
    4. When the home menu appears, reinsert your SD card.
  2. If you have a hardmod and a NAND backup, flash the backup back to SysNAND.
  3. Try booting into recovery mode and updating your system.
    This probably will not work for an Old 3DS downgraded to 2.1.0
    This will BRICK a New 3DS downgraded to 2.1.0
    2. Hold L+R+A+Up.
    3. Power on the 3DS.
    4. If you enter safe mode, update your 3DS only if you have an entrypoint for the latest FW version and it is possible to downgrade from it and attempt the downgrade again.
  4. Your 3DS may be bricked. For real time support, contact me or any other channel operator at#3dshacks on Rizon IRC.

Davethedroid1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Source: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Troubleshooting#ts_sys_down

1. Try booting with your SD card out, and then reinserting it after booting.
    2. Take out the SD card.
    3. Power on the 3DS.
    4. When the home menu appears, reinsert your SD card.
  2. If you have a hardmod and a NAND backup, flash the backup back to SysNAND.
  3. Try booting into recovery mode and updating your system.
    This probably will not work for an Old 3DS downgraded to 2.1.0
    This will BRICK a New 3DS downgraded to 2.1.0
    2. Hold L+R+A+Up.
    3. Power on the 3DS.
    4. If you enter safe mode, update your 3DS only if you have an entrypoint for the latest FW version and it is possible to downgrade from it and attempt the downgrade again.
  4. Your 3DS may be bricked. For real time support, contact me or any other channel operator at#3dshacks on Rizon IRC.
yes there the steps i use to restore the system and try the downgrade again but i keep getting the same problem after the downgrade completes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022:
    Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    yassssss i love emerald
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    more of a platinum guy myself personally
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys i just checked to see what's in the fortnite item shop today and saw that metallica skins, atla skins and jjk skins are in the item shop at the same time rn, shit's not real 💀
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @PandaPandel, irl or in the game?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Btw it seems like the user dtapple disabled others posting on their profile, either they are going through something or they blocked me. Better leave them alone ig
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I sat on my ball and I think I crushed it

:sad:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Veho, atleast you still have the other one
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's why we have two balls. Redundancy.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The squished one still hurts like a motherfucker tho.
  • 4d1xlaan @ 4d1xlaan:
    why did you do that
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @4d1xlaan, he just wanted to sit down
  • T @ Texasauras:
    admonish
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, fixed it?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, kiss and make better?