Hacking 3DS Mode Homebrew

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you think the possibilities of 3DS Homebrew? n64 emulator, snes, gba etc etc? If we had the tools do make it of course.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SNES? Yes
GBA? Sure
N64? Maybe, probably not but who knows, if people made a N64 emulator for PSP, why not 3DS?
But don't expect good compatibility on this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't expect anything beyond the Dreamcast and keep in mind that neither DC nor the N64 will work fluently/with full compatibility - that's about as far as you can push this kind of hardware.

The 3DS is a joke specs-wise - the average smartphone gives it a run for its money. If you're into emulation of any kind, you're better off waiting for the PSVita to get hacked or buying yourself a mid-to-high-end smartphone and a controller.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get an nvidia shield. It has amazing specs, has really nice controls, and it runs android. So there's no waiting for it to get hacked then waiting for someone to develop an emulator to run on it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Get an nvidia shield. It has amazing specs, has really nice controls, and it runs android. So there's no waiting for it to get hacked then waiting for someone to develop an emulator to run on it.

That's actually not as good of an idea as you may think. The new Tegra is quite an exotic CPU/GPU combination, not to mention that Tegra's are rare in general. They don't see a whole lot of support and software developers rarely optimize specifically for them.

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS is a joke specs-wise - the average smartphone gives it a run for its money.
More than a run for its money. Current Android phones absolutely destroy the 3DS in terms of CPU power. The 3DS seems to have a pretty nice GPU but even that isn't in the same league as an Adreno 320.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nice misleading topic, learn how to use forums please, learn how to create better NON MISLEADING TOPICS PLEASE

Learn how to post useful, on-topic responses. Learn where the Report button is located if you don't like a thread's title. Learn to be more polite and less condescending. :rolleyes:

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
#facepalm

i wish thread like this get renamed or locked XD

i think is too early for ask another console emulator for 3DS or Emulator 3DS. Gateway only play 3DS backup and is still encrypted.
please don't create thread like this, undub, translation or similar topic.

Reactions: signz and yuyuyup

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
#facepalm

i wish thread like this get renamed or locked XD

i think is too early for ask another console emulator for 3DS or Emulator 3DS. Gateway only play 3DS backup and is still encrypted.
please don't create thread like this, undub, translation or similar topic.
Gateway is working on homebrew support, and I posted this thread because the possibilities of better homebrew because of the better specs than the DS/DSi.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loaders aren't exactly homebrew. I think once a loader is made, homebrew will be a snap.

Basically, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the "loader" (at least what the CycloDSi did and now the Gateway will have to) is a piece of a legitimate game card, where said game has a save exploit allowing you to run unsigned code. Then, said unsigned code can be a menu that links to all your other ROMs/homebrew.

The reason the Gateway is limited to one game at a time is because when you format the MicroSD as you do, you're making the Gateway itself show up as a retail game (with the obvious NAND differences, hence why that loader.dat is used). Opposed to the CycloDSi which had the My Healthy Cooking Coach "game" flashed to it, and then used that game's exploited saving system to load its menu after that.

Zaneris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Loaders aren't exactly homebrew. I think once a loader is made, homebrew will be a snap.

Basically, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the "loader" (at least what the CycloDSi did and now the Gateway will have to) is a piece of a legitimate game card, where said game has a save exploit allowing you to run unsigned code. Then, said unsigned code can be a menu that links to all your other ROMs/homebrew.

The reason the Gateway is limited to one game at a time is because when you format the MicroSD as you do, you're making the Gateway itself show up as a retail game (with the obvious NAND differences, hence why that loader.dat is used). Opposed to the CycloDSi which had the My Healthy Cooking Coach "game" flashed to it, and then used that game's exploited saving system to load its menu after that.

Unless I'm mistaken, the GW3DS is already running unsigned code, the problem is that... no one has bothered to write any 3DS code up till this point since it wasn't possible to run it.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly.

The games you flash to the SD cards still have a valid signature and checksum, the only reason you need that "gateway mode" is due to how their NAND is programmed, I believe. (You know, like how it writes the .sav to your system's SD instead of where a normal game would)

robo989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't expect anything beyond the Dreamcast and keep in mind that neither DC nor the N64 will work fluently/with full compatibility - that's about as far as you can push this kind of hardware.

The 3DS is a joke specs-wise - the average smartphone gives it a run for its money. If you're into emulation of any kind, you're better off waiting for the PSVita to get hacked or buying yourself a mid-to-high-end smartphone and a controller.

The average smartphone more than gives it a run for it's money. It walks all over it, even a cheapy smartphone like a galaxy mini walks all over it.

Don't expect anything above Genesis/SNES/NeoGeo.

No chance of getting n64/PS1 emulated at playable speed.

Just look at the PSP for a comparison, it does have an n64 emulator but it's been in development for what 6-7 years? It can only run a couple of games properly without sound, games which have been specifically optimized to run at a reasonable speed too with dirty hacks to allow it.

This is a 3DS forum so I'm sure I'll get a fanboy quote saying I'm wrong from someone but the PSP and 3DS are fairly close in terms of overall specs, I'd tilt in favour of the PSP slightly in terms of raw power, even if the 3DS has more RAM. That doesn't actually help much in terms of emulation speed.

Reactions: TheCasketMan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back