Hacking 3DS may spell end to Ninty's piracy woes.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
baffle-boy said:
btw the PS3 HAS been cracked, just not in any useful way yet, but the fact is that where they are now, if enough people worked on the PS3 they would have piracy. therefore the whole time will end in a hack thing appears to be pretty true. we could just mug some nintendo employees for info
smile.gif

The PS3 has not been cracked in any meaningful way (just like the DSi).

Nintendo made big mistakes with the Wii, but they've had the opportunity to learn from those.

I don't know why they haven't completely blocked DS piracy on the DSi. Maybe they know that people would just buy a DSlite insread & they want the DSi/DSXL to sell.

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I summarize :

nintendo ds : you can play games ds

nintendo dsi : you can play game ds but not game dsi

nintendo 3ds : you can play game ds but not game dsi and game 3ds

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
solofrags said:

Noone of us can see into the Future as the 3Ds is not out yet, Im sure they will prevent Flash-Cards on 3DS for DS-Roms, like they did with the DSI. Eventually this will get hacked fast, but this is just guessing.

QUOTEnintendo ds : you can play games ds

yes

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
solofrags said:
I summarize :

Not really... DSi-exclusive games aren't worth the effort as all of them so far only use the camera gimmick. So nobody has really done anything towards getting DSi-exclusive games working, since it isn't like there'd be any point in it. But with the 3DS, clearly there'll be a major necessity to get the games working. Whether they'll actually succeed is another matter entirely, as Nintendo are really confident about their anti-piracy this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if every game had an automatically processed product key when first started, causing the device to reject the game if the product key has been used before.

Of course that'd mean preowned 3DS games wouldn't work, but I doubt Nintendo would care. If they could render preowned game sales non-existent with the same tech they're using to block piracy, the publishers that are vocal against both of them would be quite happy with the 3DS and would be happier to develop for it.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
yes... the dsi certainly seem uncrackable atm... whats with that?

edit:
@Wintrale: what abiut DSi-Ware? i'd totally... um, backup my ah, legitimate games... *shifty eyes*

DarkFocus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Veho said:
BortzANATOR said:
I love how the R4 is the only thing they know.
It's a household name now
happy.gif

All tissues are Kleenex, all copiers are Xerox (you don't make a copy, you "zeerox" it), and all flashcards are R4.

But fact is, various "R4" cards (the original and the over 9000 copies) sold more than all other flashcards combined.

QUOTE(Thoob @ Jul 10 2010, 03:31 PM) I know the DSi hasn't been opened fully for CFW, etc. but to say that "They combated the piracy on DSi" is nothing short of a joke.
But they did. They introduced countermeasures that still haven't been cracked. If that's not combating piracy, I don't know what is.

I've never heard anyone say their going to xerox something, they usually just say photocopy or scan a copy.

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
if this AP works good for me, at least i can buy one locally and it will not overpriced, because it can not play pirated games. and thats also the reason that came to buy a ps3 it was kindda cheap considering it a slim model i got it for almost $340 which is almost the same price for a wii capable of playing backups with 2 wiimotes sold here.

bottom line in our country

hackble/modable console = ovepriced
unhackble/ can't pirate = cheap

good thing i bought 2 xbox 360 in the past, cause my friend (shop owner) told me 360's in our place will get a price increase due to the xbox 360 slim not able to play backups.

i just love collecting consoles and playing some games that i want

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think there will be a way to play backups on the 3ds very soon. there are always methods of getting it to work. maybe it comes in the way of rewritable cards where you can only run 1 2gb on but one way or another it wont take more than 6 months it think

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
cruddybuddy said:
I hope Nintendo succeeds because I'm addicted to pirated games and maybe now I'll play fewer games and get my damned books finished.

>sees cruddybuddy
>pauses for about a minute
>checks date
:woot:
What the vagina?! I didn't know you were still alive!

I think this is just hype that is trying to discourage the inevitable.

Hey, I'm here every once in a while when a big release is about to come down and I need to make a "poll" that is titled exactly how a release thread would be titled in order to trick people into thinking the game is already out.

Hell, I even started the official Starcraft 2 release thread to which nobody has replied. Well no, I replied to myself once.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
solofrags said:
I summarize :

Not really... DSi-exclusive games aren't worth the effort as all of them so far only use the camera gimmick. So nobody has really done anything towards getting DSi-exclusive games working, since it isn't like there'd be any point in it. But with the 3DS, clearly there'll be a major necessity to get the games working. Whether they'll actually succeed is another matter entirely, as Nintendo are really confident about their anti-piracy this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if every game had an automatically processed product key when first started, causing the device to reject the game if the product key has been used before.

Of course that'd mean preowned 3DS games wouldn't work, but I doubt Nintendo would care. If they could render preowned game sales non-existent with the same tech they're using to block piracy, the publishers that are vocal against both of them would be quite happy with the 3DS and would be happier to develop for it.

I disagree here. Having access to the dsi hardware would make a huge difference. The DSi hardware would allow for greater processing power for homebrew, and thus make things like emulators and video players possible without having to rely on external processing (as the SC2 does). At the very least, you'd have a push to do it even if it's just purely for bragging rights. The fact that it hasn't been done yet, would seem to indicate that it's much more difficult than people imagine.The lack of any progress on the DSi front, other than the stupid flailing around that happened with the 1.4 release, does not bode well for any 3DS games being playable.

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I have some questions!

1) If every game will be the key, how can we do? (For download)

2) Does the iphone is already crack (download games ....)

3) The 3ds is not hackable, it is not simply an argument to reassure developers? If old phones have been cracked, why should not it continue?

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
JetKun thanks
smile.gif

And at all the hackers, you are all selfish...
Companies are trying to make money but then pirates just ruin their chances...
And if you can't afford the games or don't want to buy them DON'T DOWNLOAD!!!

Correction: the companies themselves are ruining their chances, by producing shovelware. Some games are so worthless I wouldn't be surprised if their only sales were to release groups that try to have the most complete collection - they dump the ROM, a reviewer downloads it to write a review, and no one else wants to go near it.

Buying a DS game is too close to buying a lotto ticket - there is a small chance that it will be a rewarding purchase, but the odds are in favor of it being a waste of money. I can honestly say that I would never have played most of the DS games that I've tried, if paying full price was my only option, and I would have been upset about the money I would have spent on the few titles that looked decent. I am not aware of any local game rental facility offering DS games, so without flash carts my only option would be to pay full price, then trade them in at a significant loss.

If the 3DS really is unhackable, then Ninty has lost my business simply because I don't have enough disposable income to make it worth the cost of the system.

Thunderboyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antonkan said:
I do remember that piracy hurts the entertainment industry, so if a company loses money to the pirates, then a company will be bankurpt. And so that's why Nintendo 3DS will be an anti-piracy video game system. The more pirates will convert into legal buyers, the more money what a company will have.

So many industrial countries have to combat piracy, as did some developing countries (such as India and the countries of Central and South America). However, most developing countries, like the Philippines, are not have to combat piracy.

Yes, but the more legal buyers, the more money the company makes, and if that happens then there is a possibility that they may make more crap games thinking the buyers might buy them because it costs little to them

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
solofrags said:
I have some questions!

1) If every game will be the key, how can we do? (For download)

2) Does the iphone is already crack (download games ....)

3) The 3ds is not hackable, it is not simply an argument to reassure developers? If old phones have been cracked, why should not it continue?

1) If you got to activate the game with a code coming with it to play it, if it's not ran before on your 3DS.
Than my theory is just Dump the game, change the key inside the ROM with a HEX editor or a Tool. After cracking that game's protection ofcourse.

Unless they check up the codes online, that is. (Which they won't because otherwise some, to a lot, of people couldn't start their game(s).)
What Nintendo could do is, let's not bring Nintendo up to idea's even more until its 'hacked'.

2) Afaik its hacked already yes.

3) ...

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
IMO it might take a custom firmware to run cart on the new 3DS but its ok i probably won't get one right away, i'll wait til the price drop or the next revision at least. I got plenty of games on all my consoles to last me til then
tongue.gif

As in for pirating game making the industry lose money.... lol. I mean, i rarely buy game when they come out anyways because of their price, so i end up buying them used or when they're under the 20 or 30 $ range so even if i did not pirate any games, no company would make any money from me. I'm sure others are the same.

New games are too expensive imo but i know they could be somewhat cheaper without all that AP protection like DemiGod for instance ^^

So ill keep pirating my new games and buy cheap used one until they come out at a price i find reasonable.

As for older game like Sega Saturn and other 'dead' system i don't see any harm in downloading games for them ^^

Lets hope at least that all that money poured into AP for the 3DS won't result in loads of shovelware like the DS 'cause that would be sad :/

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
overlord00 said:
yes... the dsi certainly seem uncrackable atm... whats with that?Barely anybody working on it.

QUOTE(doyama @ Jul 18 2010, 01:02 PM) The fact that it hasn't been done yet, would seem to indicate that it's much more difficult than people imagine.
My copy-paste on DSi hacking.

The DSi uses 128-bit encryption (IIRC).
How do you break it? You find the correct encryption key.

How many encryption keys are there? 2 (binary, a bit) to the 128th power (number of bits), divided by 8 (8 bits in a byte).
That's so many that the calculator that comes with windows (at least XP) can't even display the number without reverting to scientific notation.

128-bits is...
340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 possible values in binary.
However, Since there's 8 bits in a byte, you divide 128 by 8 and get 16. That's 16 bytes, 16 characters.
That's 18,446,744,073,709,552,000 possible values, ranging from 0x0000000000000000 to 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Eighteen quintillion possible keys.
The actual number is a bit less less since a key will be a certain number of digits and be designed to not have repeating segments, but this puts it in perspective.

Let's say that you have a computer program which can try 50,000 unique keys a second.
That's 3,000,000 keys a minute.
180,000,000 keys in an hour.
4,320,000,000 keys a day.
1,576,800,000,000 keys in one year.

It would take 11,698,848 years to try all the keys at that speed.

So wait, how do they break other systems? If you can get a direct copy of the encrypted data and compare it to a copy of the unencrypted data (as well as view the data as it's transmitted around the DSi's internals), that goes a long way towards figuring out the key without having to try all possible combinations. You'll be able to find the key without all the guessing! The problem is you'd need to take a DSi apart and fuck with it's insides while it's on to try to get a copy of the data while it's unencrypted (since the DSi will unencrypt what it needs on the fly in order to use it), and usually when you're done with that the DSi's pretty broken and in no shape to game, or even to be experimented on a second time...
3869187499_da1665050d.jpg

This process can be hampered by the internal design of the system, so you may need to take apart many systems before you even figure out how to read some of the data, let alone get a full copy of it, and last I checked DSi's don't cost $5...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: morning fellas, it's my birthday