3DS is the most successful Nintendo launch in the UK

tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
3DS is the most successful Nintendo launch in the UK
Nintendo announces the opening 3DS sales figures for UK and Europe. Despite setting a new company record, it underperformed.
We know that the 3DS’ UK launch went pretty well, what with the record breaking pre-orders and the healthy performance of 3DS software in this week’s charts. Today, Nintendo made it official just how well it went and believe it or not, it wasn’t all good news.

It shifted 113,000 units over the launch weekend, which is still a strong start no matter which way you look at it. It ousted both the Wii and the DSi’s early release figures (106,000 and 90,000 units respectively) to narrowly become the fastest-selling Nintendo console in the UK.

However, it failed to reach the predictions made by analysts and Nintendo themselves. Prior to launch, Nintendo UK’s marketing manager James Honeywell was confident that it would sell “comfortably over 150,000, if not more like 200,000”.

The figure was also shy of the 140,000 confirmed pre-orders Nintendo had announced previous to launch day. MCV posits that the discrepancy may have occurred due to retailers buying more units than necessary in order to meet customer demand.

The Playstation Portable still holds the crown for the fast-selling system in the UK with 185,000 units though if MCV is to be believed it retains it because of a technicality. Apparently this figure was recorded over a four day opening period instead of the 3DS’ two days. It doesn’t seem like a fair comparison to me but for this reason the PSP remains unbeaten.

It was also confirmed that Nintendo’s new baby had sold 303,000 units across Europe. Whether this is inclusive of the UK’s figures is unclear. Though this is short of the Wii’s 325,000 opening weekend there, Nintendo has reaffirmed that the 3DS is the “fastest selling Nintendo handheld device over a launch weekend” in Europe.

Sources: MCV, Eurogamer, GamaSutra

Source

Contributed by compfaqz

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Haha that guy behind the till is awesome! I know him, from GAME Oxford Street. When I pre-ordered Bulletstorm he basically let me have a GAME rewards card for free and a free preorder of Crysis 2.
shakirmoledina said:
lets hope its gonna be the fastest hacked console of all time while being the fastest selling games for the console of all time
I hope not! I won't mind a 3DS flashcart, just not this early. C'mon man!

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
shakirmoledina said:
lets hope its gonna be the fastest hacked console of all time while being the fastest selling games for the console of all time
You want a flashcard and you still want 3DS games to sell well? You don't ask for much.
Pick one, can't be both.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the meantime the PA 3ds sales are has low as the virtual boy. I asked various stores over the last few days what they think the problem is. Same answer from all of them: Mothers are stupid and believe the 3ds is just an enhanced version of the DSI and many probrobly think the 3ds will cause eye bleeding like the virtual boy.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Where the hell did you get the "US sales are low" thing from? Nintendo themselves stated that “U.S. day-one sales numbers for Nintendo 3DS were the highest of any Nintendo hand-held system in our history", just like in UK.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry meant my state, PA. still half asleep. And no I didn't even use the internet yesterday, too many april jackasses online each year.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
prwlr. said:
shakirmoledina said:
You want a flashcard and you still want 3DS games to sell well? You don't ask for much.
Pick one, can't be both.

Unfortunately, for some people, the pirates are the same people who buy more games than anyone else, generally spending 3 times more a year on what they pirate than people who don't. Same with music and movies.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So much spin...

Most successful Nintendo launch in the UK = But it didn't meet expectations.
Sold a ton in 2 days = But the PSP sold more in 4

really? lmao.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
So much spin...

really? lmao.
Your posts should come with a disclaimer:
"WARNING: I CHANGE THE WORDING OF THE ARTICLE IN MY HEAD. THEREFORE MY POST CONTAINS MADE UP BULLSHIT."

1). The EXPECTATION was 150k~200k units. The record was lower at 106k units.
That means any number from 106,001 to 149,999 will FAIL EXPECTATIONS BUT EXCEED THE PREVIOUS SALES RECORD.

2). PSP sold 185k units in 3 days: http://gamestyle.com/talk/discussion/7077/...ales-figures/p1
Unfortunately I could not find a '2 day' sales listing for the UK PSP.

Z

Zorua

tigris said:
Unrelated note - Compfaqz doesn't exist!?

Yeah, he got his account deleted because he didn't know much about forums and kept posting stupid stuff.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
chartube12 said:
in the meantime the PA 3ds sales are has low as the virtual boy. I asked various stores over the last few days what they think the problem is. Same answer from all of them: Mothers are stupid and believe the 3ds is just an enhanced version of the DSI and many probrobly think the 3ds will cause eye bleeding like the virtual boy.
Nintendo, your merketing department sucks. Pick any random person from the temp, he could have come up with a better name than this.

Edit: Hmm. I think the fact that the 3DS has very little in the way of must have exclusive games is helping along this delusion. I'm pretty sure sales will pick up when the kids see awesome new 3DS games coming out and discover they won't work on their DSi XL.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
SPH73 said:
So much spin...

really? lmao.
Your posts should come with a disclaimer:
"WARNING: I CHANGE THE WORDING OF THE ARTICLE IN MY HEAD. THEREFORE MY POST CONTAINS MADE UP BULLSHIT."

1). The EXPECTATION was 150k~200k units. The record was lower at 106k units.
That means any number from 106,001 to 149,999 will FAIL EXPECTATIONS BUT EXCEED THE PREVIOUS SALES RECORD.

2). PSP sold 185k units in 3 days: http://gamestyle.com/talk/discussion/7077/...ales-figures/p1
Unfortunately I could not find a '2 day' sales listing for the UK PSP.

You're a mentally ill lunatic and an internet stalker.

Back on topic, others on the web have commented on the unusual spin in this article. If the PSP sold more in 4 days then why even compare it to a system that had only been on sale for 2 days? (Answer: you don't. The author went out of his way to make this comparisson and its a massive stretch.)

And even though they say "highest sales for a Nintendo product in the UK" the author still heavilly pushes the whole "OMG DISAPPOINTING SALES ARTICLE." See kids, everyone has an agenda because everyone has to answer to the people who pay the bills. (Or in some cases its just fanboys in the press.) But either way this article is full of LOL SPIN. And that's just the way it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: