Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
3DS is protected with various trademarks
3DS1in_black%20110X110.jpg
and Nin can't use it without a lot of $$$ . Yes I know it is not a real problem...

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Njrg said:
DeMoN said:
3DS sounded really good in my opinion. If the new name sucks, then I'll still refer to it as the 3DS from then on.
There were people like you...

They wanted to continue calling the Gamecube, Dolphin, and Wii, Revolution.

They must have gave up that struggle because I never hear people call those systems by those names anymore.

And yet Sony's codename for the PlayStation, the PSX, is still used a decade and a half later.

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tigran said:
mercluke said:
Tigran said:
What I find funny is everyone seems to forget that the DS's informal name was *GASP!* DS
it was not codenamed ds
wink.gif

Yeah.. Yeah it was.

http://games.ign.com/articles/516/516534p1.html

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/703412/r...-code-name.html
From the wiki codename page

"Nintendo often uses code names for new consoles. The best-known is that of Wii, which was code-named Revolution for over a year. Others include the GameCube's code name of Dolphin, the Game Boy Advance's code name of Atlantis, the Nintendo 64 as Project Reality, the DS code name Project Nitro, and the Game Boy Micro code name Oxygen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_name

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
No. DS was the second 'codename' that was found to be good enough to use as the official name. Project Nitro was the first name.

I thought it was Nintendo DS, then Project Nitro, then back to Nintendo DS?
http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/541/541872p1.html
QUOTEWhen the "temporary" namechange from Nintendo DS to Project Nitro appeared on Wario World last week, developers received an email from Nintendo's development relations regarding system support. The system was getting closer to reality, and the company was getting prepared.

At any rate, it's quite possible that the 3DS has had a different internal code name earlier in the production process.

qdog82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also Nintendo usally uses the shortform of the codename on the back of the consoles, like:

NES - Nintendo Entertainment System
SNS - Super Nintendo Entertainment System
NUS - Nintendo Ultra 64
DOL - Dolphin
RVL - Revolution

DMG - Dot Matrix Game (Gameboy)
MGB - Micro Gameboy (Gameboy Pocket)
VUE - Virtual User Environment (Virtual Boy)
CGB - Color Gameboy
AGB - Advance Gameboy
AGS - Advance Gameboy Special (Gameboy Advance SP)
OXY - Oxygen (Gameboy Micro)
NTR - Nitro (NDS)
USG - Usagi? (DSL)
TWL - Twilight? (DSi)
UTL - Utility? (DSiXL)

And from the leaked motherboard and the eurogamer rumour we heard that the 3ds shortform is CTR, so what could CTR stand for?

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qdog82 said:
Tigran said:
mercluke said:
Tigran said:
What I find funny is everyone seems to forget that the DS's informal name was *GASP!* DS
it was not codenamed ds
wink.gif

Yeah.. Yeah it was.

http://games.ign.com/articles/516/516534p1.html

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/703412/r...-code-name.html
From the wiki codename page

"Nintendo often uses code names for new consoles. The best-known is that of Wii, which was code-named Revolution for over a year. Others include the GameCube's code name of Dolphin, the Game Boy Advance's code name of Atlantis, the Nintendo 64 as Project Reality, the DS code name Project Nitro, and the Game Boy Micro code name Oxygen."

I give you reliable sites... and you give Wikipedia. I mean.. According to Wikipedia, it's code name was also your mom.

Nintendo often uses code names for new consoles. The best-known is that of Wii, which was code-named Revolution for over a year. Others include the GameCube's code name of Dolphin, the Game Boy Advance's code name of Atlantis, the Nintendo 64 as Project Reality, the DS code name Project Nitro Also known as qdog82's mom, and the Game Boy Micro code name Oxygen

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
The CTR could mean Crash Team Racing lool, anyways, I prefer the name "3DS" cuz it's full form could most probably be - 3 Dimensional Screens, which to me, sounds cool xD!

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
my guesses

iDS Advance (DSA)

Gameboy 3Di (GB3D)

i cant see them creating a new named series. I think it will prob have either DS or Gameboy in it somewhere and prob a 'i' in it too. But then again, I am usualy wrong on this sort of stuff.....

about 1 week to E3 anyway.....

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system's name will start with the letters DS, so 3DS won't happen. Waste time guessing, or wait a mere week and find the truth. Either way, I own one in my mind, and Nintendo already has my money. I'll guess the name right now.....MPGDSPMCMTI3DWFH

Translation:

Money-printing-gimmicky-developer-system-plays Mario-Consumes My Time-In 3-D-Waiting For Hack.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Wasn't the DS released just as a by-product by Nintendo, to later help them in development of GameBoy or something along that line?? If this is true, then GB name may return and that too with a bang (Big Bang Theory 2), so if it does revive the GB name, it'll be named GB3D like someone mentioned above.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Maikel Steneker said:
DeMoN said:
3DS sounded really good in my opinion. If the new name sucks, then I'll still refer to it as the 3DS from then on.
Well they changed "Revolution" to "Wii", so the chances of the new name being sucky are pretty high I'd say.

I assumed I would get used to "Wii" after it became commonly used. I was wrong.

Wii is the stupidest name in gaming console history. But I bet you can beat that, Nintendo! Gambatte!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
regnad said:
Wii is the stupidest name in gaming console history. But I bet you can beat that, Nintendo! Gambatte!
Well at least there is some thought and effort behind it rather than just adding a number to an existing name.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SamAsh07 said:
Wasn't the DS released just as a by-product by Nintendo, to later help them in development of GameBoy or something along that line?? If this is true, then GB name may return and that too with a bang (Big Bang Theory 2), so if it does revive the GB name, it'll be named GB3D like someone mentioned above.
That was their plan, but the DS became such a hit they started making more and more games for it. GameBoy is of a past era, you should not speak of it anymore.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
SamAsh07 said:
That was their plan, but the DS became such a hit they started making more and more games for it. GameBoy is of a past era, you should not speak of it anymore.
It was more them convering themselves, I believe they probably had a Gameboy in case it became another Virtual Boy for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: