Hacking 3DS (is) broke(n) for weird reason?!

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
UPDATE
Problem: my O3DS won´t boot unless it´s at an angle of 90 degrees or less. Tilting it any further backwards will result in the 3DS shutting down with a popping sound. The 3DS only tries to boot (blue light on and screens light up for 0,5 second) for mere seconds if the screen is tilted backwards, before shutting down again with a *pop*.

Identifying the problem: From what information I have gathered, it seems like a ribbon cable/ fix flex cable going between the lower and the upper part of the console is damaged to some extent. Thus this is a hardware problem, which can be caused by dropping the 3DS or shaking it violently or being careless overall, I think. I´m guilty of the second thing mentioned, if my thesis is true. But I believe this can happen "naturally" too.

Solution: In my case the solution would be to replace the cable with a new one. Which I unfortunately am not allowed to do. Neither am I allowed to send it in for repair. So in MY CASE the 3DS is dead.

That might not be the case for you. The same symptoms might have it´s roots in another problem. The ribbon cable might simply have slipped out of position. This was my lead and what I hoped the problem was. You essentially take apart your 3DS and adjust the cable and it should work. Simple stuff, as long as you´re careful. If you have the same symptoms you might want to check this video out:

If you feel that the focus is too bad when she zooms in, use this for reference: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+Teardown/5029

Last edited by ArviDroid,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Hi.
I was playing a GBA virtual console of Flappy Bird and everything was fine. I put my console in sleep mode for about one minute before picking it up again. When I opened up the 3DS I heard a sound and the 3DS quickly shut down. When I try turning on the console, the blue light turns on for about one second and both the screens lighten up for about half a second, then everything turns off. I can´t boot into the luma chainloader, as it results in what´s described above. I just tried booting into recovery, mode but after a while I heard a LOUD POPPING SOUND! Please help me! Thanks in advance.

O3DS 11.6 Luma
That sounds like loosen (broken) ribbon cable problem. You might have to open it up and repair it.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
That sounds like loosen (broken) ribbon cable problem. You might have to open it up and repair it.
This could be the board.
I installed new ribbons but still have the problem when i fully close the back cover.
I even removed the ribbons and still have this problem, i also saw another person here have the same problem.
Maybe it's dying console or o3ds tend to have this problem?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
This could be the board.
I installed new ribbons but still have the problem when i fully close the back cover.
I even removed the ribbons and still have this problem, i also saw another person here have the same problem.
Might be, but its more likely to be loosen ribbon than shorted mobo.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This could be the board.
Well, I got this one almost exactly one year ago. Meanwhile I had another 3DS for more than 4 years and it works fine... They might have been used as much as each other though. I can always migrate to that 3DS if needed.

Last edited by ArviDroid,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you still have warranty after a year, then you should send it for repair as opening it up yourself voids the warranty. If you don't, just try the solutions posted by others.

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you still have warranty after a year, then you should send it for repair as opening it up yourself voids the warranty. If you don't, just try the solutions posted by others.
Don´t know anything about the warranty sadly. I´ll have to take a risk.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
But if he's got Luma and unofficial .cia files they almost definitely wouldn't fix it anyway. These things kill warranties too.

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Dear people replying to this thread, please refer to my main post for an explanation and status on the problem!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all