3DS Hits 4 Million Console Sales in United States

boekeboekeboeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Its sold very well indeed and is a success in sales terms but for me it doesn't seem popular, I've yet to have seen a single 3DS being played in public and that to me is what makes something popular.

Here in the Netherlands I come across people playing DS/3DS all the time in the train. Also alot of people with ipads etc... :ha:

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about the games only then I didn't see your point and how you can even say that.
There more games than the "blockbuster" titles. Just 'cause it doesn't appeal to you or aren't the main titles, doesn't mean there isn't other
good games and the 3ds has nothing going for it. That said, 2012 will be much better.

Since the last update, the 3ds has a bunch of features as well.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is nothing going for the 3DS right now. I didn't say it's an ultimate failure and should be removed from the face of the planet which it looks like you're trying to make it out to be, it could be the best handheld ever but right now it's crud. Plenty of other people agree with me and have said this before, not just on here but on other sites too. It might not be a universal agreement towards the 3DS but it's plenty agreed upon.
Got to agree until maybe when RE: Revelations comes out which is so far the only game that I look at and think "man I want a 3DS". I had a go on Mario 3D Land and its a really good game but not really something I'd slap down £120 plus £35 for, unlike what Mario Galaxy did for Wii for me. 3DS does have a lot of games I would play but I'm busy with other games and to be honest all of those games aren't really ones I'd pay full price for or are desperate to play with exception to Pushmo which is download and cheap.

Don't get me wrong, this time next year this thign will be fucking essential soon with Paper Mario, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Manshion 2, Rodea (if it comes out in the West) and a lot of others, even more if I didn't think the Monster Hunter or Kingdom Hearts series were tediously dull.

3DS is generally a success and, in terms of popularity, very successful.
Its sold very well indeed and is a success in sales terms but for me it doesn't seem popular, I've yet to have seen a single 3DS being played in public and that to me is what makes something popular.
Not sure where you live, but here in America, I have 82 people in my Mii plaza and well over 100 StreetPass tags and I rarely go out. My buddy AJ has around 300 people. Not to mention all of the people I actually play with (there are 8 of them I play with regularly and dozens I play occasionally.

matt382

Trophies
XP
Country
Other people agree with you too? Then you prooved that you are right.

All GBAtempers listen, prowler and some other people think the 3DS is a disappointment, so go sell your 3DS and be happy.
When did I say go sell your 3DS? Can fanboys handle a little criticism over their apparent God handheld?

All I said is that PC Mag are right, apart from a few games, there is nothing going for the 3DS right now. I didn't say it's an ultimate failure and should be removed from the face of the planet which it looks like you're trying to make it out to be, it could be the best handheld ever but right now it's crud. Plenty of other people agree with me and have said this before, not just on here but on other sites too. It might not be a universal agreement towards the 3DS but it's plenty agreed upon.

I agree with you there. The only game I have for my 3DS is Zelda OoT, and the others out at the minute don't interest me one bit. Really dissapointing.The only time I play my 3DS really is using my Supercard. But I've not sold it yet, cus the future games are what I'm waiting for - namely Resi Evil and KH.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

All GBAtempers listen, prowler and some other people think the 3DS is a disappointment, so go sell your 3DS and be happy.
When did I say go sell your 3DS? Can fanboys handle a little criticism over their apparent God handheld?

All I said is that PC Mag are right, apart from a few games, there is nothing going for the 3DS right now. I didn't say it's an ultimate failure and should be removed from the face of the planet which it looks like you're trying to make it out to be, it could be the best handheld ever but right now it's crud. Plenty of other people agree with me and have said this before, not just on here but on other sites too. It might not be a universal agreement towards the 3DS but it's plenty agreed upon.
I think the 3DS isn't a disappointment. Plenty of other people agree with me and have said this before, not just on here but on other sites too. It might not be a universal agreement towards the 3DS but it's plenty agreed upon :P

It's just your opinion, don't make it sound as fact, so come down from your high horse. You say "apart from a few games, there is nothing going for the 3DS right now", I say the 3DS is only 9 months old, has great system sellers and the future looks bright. It's just starting. One can always brag about flaws and the bad launch line up, but currently the 3DS is a great system to own and buy.

And don't get me wrong, if people say something like the PSV is a failure because it was sold less than the 3DS, I don't like that either.

Also lol at calling me a fanboy, I own a Saturn, PS2, PS3, Wii, Dreamcast, PSP, ... I don't give a f*** about companies, I just play the good games. Maybe I'm a bit trolling... :lol:

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I think the 3DS isn't a disappointment. Plenty of other people agree with me and have said this before, not just on here but on other sites too. It might not be a universal agreement towards the 3DS but it's plenty agreed upon :P

It's just your opinion, don't make it sound as fact, so come down from your high horse. You say "apart from a few games, there is nothing going for the 3DS right now", I say the 3DS is only 9 months old, has great system sellers and the future looks bright. It's just starting. One can always brag about flaws and the bad launch line up, but currently the 3DS is a great system to own and buy.

And don't get me wrong, if people say something like the PSV is a failure because it was sold less than the 3DS, I don't like that either.

Also lol at calling me a fanboy, I own a Saturn, PS2, PS3, Wii, Dreamcast, PSP, ... I don't give a f*** about companies, I just play the good games. Maybe I'm a bit trolling... :lol:

Or you're getting trolled by prowler (which might be the case).

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Or you're getting trolled by prowler (which might be the case).
That might really be the case because this is a thread about a 3DS success and he showed up telling us that it's a disappointment. I should have known better not to take him seriously. My mistake.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
That might really be the case because this is a thread about a 3DS success and he showed up telling us that it's a disappointment. I should have known better not to take him seriously. My mistake.
My first post was telling someone to read his own article he posted about the 3DS being a disappointment, if he didn't post it acting all smug, I wouldn't of posted.

But now literally everything I post gets labelled as a troll, that's why I normally stay clear of these threads now.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
But does trolling and fanboyism get us anywhere, I don't think so...
Fanboyism? I don't see how I'm being a fanboy.
The 3DS isn't the right handheld for me, I've bought it, didn't like it, sold it, moved on. I don't hate it and I'll probably buy it again in a few years time depending on my situation.

It seems anything people criticise over gets labelled as a fanboy of the other competitive product on this fourm.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But does trolling and fanboyism get us anywhere, I don't think so...
Fanboyism? I don't see how I'm being a fanboy.
The 3DS isn't the right handheld for me, I've bought it, didn't like it, sold it, moved on. I don't hate it and I'll probably buy it again in a few years time depending on my situation.

It seems anything people criticise over gets labelled as a fanboy of the other competitive product on this fourm.
I didn't mean you with fanboyism. I was talking in general. It's always the same. If someone trolls, the fanboys come and we have a flamewar. It's really unnecessary.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4M in EU shouldn't take that long too, according to VGchartz (24/12/2011 = 3,785,868 3DS sold)
How long is it going to be until people realize VGchartz makes up bullshit numbers for everything
This accomplishment unfortunately will have to be short lived as PC Mag considers the 3DS a 'tech disappointment'.
http://www.pcmag.com...ments-of-2011/2

Oh poor, dear 3DS we barely even got to know ya. :P
Did you even read it
Though the 3DS garnered our Editors' Choice award, it's hampered by 3D of all kinds not taking off and a slim selection of quality titles. That may change in the coming year, but for now, the 3DS has fallen short of expectations.
Which is completely true, the 3DS is one of the biggest disappointments so far in terms of what's on offer right now

Prowler 3DS outsold the DS the greatest handheld in the last generation he is far from a disappointment

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
What Prowler's trying to say is, what 3DS has to offer i.e software wise, there's nothing that catches his interest. He's not saying 3DS is a failure guys.
SpaceJump gets that and I made that clear in my other post too, I don't know why you need to repeat it again.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What Prowler's trying to say is, what 3DS has to offer i.e software wise, there's nothing that catches his interest. He's not saying 3DS is a failure guys.
SpaceJump gets that and I made that clear in my other post too, I don't know why you need to repeat it again.
Read Valwins's post, he's still confused.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
well hopefully this year they will introduce the 2nd model with dual circle pads, longer battery life, slimmer model i would buy that at around $180

Why do so many people think the next revision will include an additional circle pad? Not once did Nintendo say anything along those lines, and for those that figure that Nintendo continues trends should also know that the GBA SP and DS Lite did not add such modifications. Better battery? Yes. Different design? Yes. That's pretty much it there.

Let's not forget that the Circle Pad Pro is not just the inclusion of an extra circle pad, but additional shoulder buttons. Excluding those in the revision would be devastating, and adding those in goes against the notion of making a "slimmer" model. Then there's every game that was designed to optionally use the Circle Pad Pro that would have to be updated to take the change of hardware into account to use those additional interfaces, because all those were working off of the IR port.

There's more than likely other variables to take into account, leading to an even greater possibility that such a revision is not going to happen any time soon.

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"