Hacking 3DS Got Bricked by RXtools

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RXTools seems to have bricked my 3DS. I was able to install it correctly using 7.4 sysNAND and downgrading it to 4.x using gateway and using gateway's launcher to format emuNAND to boot rxtools. It worked fine and I was able to use 9.8 emuNAND, but today I decided to dump my emuNAND using the dumping option and it told me that the process took a long time so I continued and an hour later it was stuck on dumping emu_<random_keys>.app and I waited 10 more minutes and it was still stuck on dumping the same .app so I force shut off the console. When I turned the 3DS back on it just hangs at a black screen and never boots up. What should I do? Should I wait for the battery to drain, should I send it to Nintendo? I have a backed up NAND.bin if there is somehow to fix it...

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: hundshamer

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see so many of these posts/threads. There really needs to be a 'safe' version of rxtools made with all nand writing disabled.

Yes, OP you need to flash that backed up nand back to fix it. Contact @hundshamer or attempt one of these if you're handy with a soldering iron:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/
Nope, completely suck at soldering, I seen a YouTube video where the guy said to let the battery die but it wasn't a hacked 3DS. Do you know what caused the brick? Plus I was running official 2.4 Rxtools if that helps

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, completely suck at soldering, I seen a YouTube video where the guy said to let the battery die but it wasn't a hacked 3DS. Do you know what caused the brick? Plus I was running official 2.4 Rxtools if that helps
rxtools is full of nand-modding functions that are really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I also think it's possible that they can be triggered without selecting them. It's kind of hastily programmed with insufficient testing and peer-review. I don't think letting the battery run out is going to help and sending it to nintendo will get rejected for warranty voiding mods. You're best bet is to contact that member I posted, he'll do a basic reflash for $25.

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rxtools is full of nand-modding functions that are really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I also think it's possible that they can be triggered without selecting them. It's kind of hastily programmed with insufficient testing and peer-review. I don't think letting the battery run out is going to help and sending it to nintendo will get rejected for warranty voiding mods. You're best bet is to contact that member I posted, he'll do a basic reflash for $25.
Thanks for the information, I will contact him and hopefully he will be able to re flash my NAND. Next time what do you recommend I use for emuNAND/firmware spoofer so I can use Smash DLC?

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
but he is in USA, and you are in uk, you must find someone in europe i guess

at the end if you cant find someone in Uk witch i doub, im in france, and i can help you, i solder many o3DS, and i did some new 3DS too

solder o3DS is so easy, i'm sure you can find someone in Uk...

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but he is in USA, and you are in uk, you must find someone in europe i guess

at the end if you cant find someone in Uk witch i doub, im in france, and i can help you, i solder many o3DS, and i did some new 3DS too

solder o3DS is so easy, i'm sure you can find someone in Uk...
No I'm in USA.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the information, I will contact him and hopefully he will be able to re flash my NAND. Next time what do you recommend I use for emuNAND/firmware spoofer so I can use Smash DLC?
I think cakes cfw is the best. Simple and safe and even has 9.x mset.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
But how did dumping his EmuNAND result in a sysnand brick?
I suspect he has just fooling around selected a nand writing function. The system doesn't immediatly brick when you do that. You don't see your brick until you exit rxtools and reboot so there was time to do other harmless things like dumping emunand files.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not too sure. He is running unsigned code, and there's always a chance of something going wrong. I'm more hardware than software orientated.

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suspect he has just fooling around selected a nand writing function. The system doesn't immediatly brick when you do that. You don't see your brick until you exit rxtools and reboot so there was time to do other harmless things like dumping emunand files.
That might be it. I think I clicked inject NAND files before dumping emuNAND by accident, it's only been a couple days using this so I learned my lesson :nayps3:

Reactions: zoogie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: