OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
failnuke.com
XP
Country
United States
Could we use homebrew to load gba games into the 3DS GBA compatibility mode? Like say we packaged Pokemon FireRed in a GBA VC package... I saw Smealum has Pokemon Silver on his 3DS.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Smealum has decrypted games, no public method is available, so no rom injection for all, also gba mode is broke when using gateway, so it's a double no

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Maybe a gba emulator will come faster, i would like a complete screen emulation or 3d emulation but i think im asking too much

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The 3DS has a separate firmware section called AGB_FIRM specifically for GBA compatibility, this firmware works much like the TWL_FIRM used for the DS(i) sandbox mode and is used by GBA Virtual Console titles. Unfortunately, those are currently only available to 3DS Ambassadors as far as I know, so we can't take advantage of them at this point in time. I would wager that if there's a separate firmware specifically for these games then it's not 100% emulation like with other Virtual Console platforms, so it'll probably take some more tinkering but it's well-within the realm of possibility. :)

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Sure If both problems are resolved, but both problems are fairly major ones

....and just for reference, I don't think smealums will be releasing his methods for decrypting games, he is a homebrew only advocate
There are more people than you think that can do this. Its only a matter of time before it gets out.

DillPo313

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
failnuke.com
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS has a separate firmware section called AGB_FIRM specifically for GBA compatibility, this firmware works much like the TWL_FIRM used for the DS(i) sandbox mode and is used by GBA Virtual Console titles. Unfortunately, those are currently only available to 3DS Ambassadors as far as I know, so we can't take advantage of them at this point in time. I would wager that if there's a separate firmware specifically for these games then it's not 100% emulation like with other Virtual Console platforms, so it'll probably take some more tinkering but it's well-within the realm of possibility. :)

I'm actually one of the 3DS Ambassadors... I have the GBA games on my 3DS. Oddly I bought my 3DS new last Xmas and still got them.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
There are more people than you think that can do this. Its only a matter of time before it gets out.
Yeah I understand there will surely be plenty of people with the know how, but so far everything has been kept tightly under wraps....but your right, it's still only a matter of time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father