3DS Game Cases Look to be More Environmentally Friendly

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vigilante, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Vigilante
    OP

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    [​IMG]

A Japanese retailer has posted some images of what 3DS software boxes look like when opened up and it seems like there's not a hole lot of difference from the regular DS boxes.

Well, there are a couple of differences: the placement of the system logo is now on the right hand side of the cover, and the box itself has numerous holes in it so that less plastic is used in the manufacturing process.

The retailer also notes that the weight of the thinner 3DS game boxes come in at 45 grams, compared to the 53 grams that current DS game boxes weigh. It might not sound like a significant reduction, but that's roughly 15% lighter: considering how much software has been sold for DS, that's a potentially huge saving over the 3DS's lifespan.

Perhaps this is one step closer to getting Greenpeace off Nintendo's back? Either way, it still seems silly to have such a large case for a game cartridge that is so tiny: is it time to get rid of those game manuals?[/p]

[​IMG] Source

So Nintendo is going green now?But anyways , I hope this helps our dying environment.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    You know, japanese boxes for Nintendo games used to be smaller, their GBA games came in smaller cardboard boxes, and even their Gamecube games did!

Is there any reason the 3DS boxes can't be smaller? The instruction manuals don't need to be so large, even the multi-language manuals.

3. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Meh, either saving production cost or green washing.

4. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Dont care really. Especially since its just for cartridges. Isnt there a fear of these holes scratching disks? Dont think it can do anything to cartridges.

5. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    I like DS cases just the size they are. They shelve nicely and I don't lose them. (Shit disappears in my house.) I suppose they could be thinner though. Maybe something like 10mm? (Aka, twice the thickness of this.)

6. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    If they really care about the green peace environment chart, they should release and sell games in packaged format like DS/Wiiware on their own website (not from the console itself, because downloading 8GB from the 3DS, it will need many weeks), to be read from the SD slot, and provides booklet in pdf.

Or use WiiConnect24 directly from the wii to download to SD card while the Wii is shutdown, so the user don't need to create an account from nintendo website. (though, it heat the Wii too much and create graphical artifact, not a good idea).
    There are many possibilities, but they don't care, and certainly fear piracy.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    a few holes in the plastic won't really do much it's still using plastic if they wanted they could just put the cart wrapped in bio-degradable foam/plastic whatever the hell it is and put in a recycled cardboard box [​IMG]

8. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    yes, but not the only release form.

People could still buy it in store if they want, but Nintendo could also sell games the dematerialized way (and please... with lower price than with the real box)

Edit :
    oh, you edited your answer, now mine seems coming out of nowhere [​IMG]
    it was in response to "not everybody have unlimited bandwidth".

9. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    I think I remember something stated that Nintendo was one of the most non environmentally friendly company.

10. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    what about having the manuals ingame on the main menu, instead of inside of the game box. it could cut down on manufacturing costs and possibly the retail price of the game, but increase translation time or even game file size (maybe not by much, but still).

11. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    they could always keep all the game manuals online if if you need to read them you could download them. i've never really needed them myself and most games these days have a damn tut level in the game that tells you what to do from the start anyway! [​IMG]

12. leeday100196

Member leeday100196 GBAtemp's Official Infernapeā„¢

Australia
    who actually cares about the game cases themselves? seriously as soon as I get my game it goes in my DS, and the other games go in pouches or the like, whatever's available.

13. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i believe in a green rating chart, nintendo scored last probably due to the wii and this is probably by reviewing tht chart and improving in all sectors

14. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    That's freaking shitty. They've saved... what 5% of the plastic used and it just looks bad. I would have made them out of tough cardboard myself.

15. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Good for the environment.

As for the looks, I don't really care. My cases will be closed 95% of the time.

16. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    Environmentally Friendly crap is a scam ninted9 should have ignore it

17. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    That is why buying a flashcard is good for the enviorment, you only need 1 [​IMG]