3DS game card/cartridge Serial Number and console Codename ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by WiKiLEAK, Feb 27, 2011.

1. WiKiLEAK
    OP

Newcomer WiKiLEAK Advanced Member

United States
    So we already know that the NTR on the DS game card is used to identify or differentiate that that game is for NDS and DSL game consoles. and as stated here ( follow link ) we also knows that the TWL serial is used for the game cards that contain extra features compatible with the DSi and DSi-XL/DSi-LL consoles.

[​IMG]

Independently that for each game console was used a diferente serial number for each console, cartridge games only had 2 diferent serial number for, one for the DS line, and another for the DSi line of console.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

But with the release of the 3DS game cartridges have a new 3-letter Serial Number : the LNA tag ... what does it means ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As discussed here, we know that the NTR is NITRO, and that TWL stand for either TWELVE or TWILIGH, in both cases the 3-letters Serial is/has been related to the Console Codename, in this case LNA would be Related to the 3DS codename.

Is LNA the Codename of the Nintendo 3DS, and if it is, what does LNA means ?
    What is the Nintendo 3DS console Serial Number, is it LNA-001 ??

Questions, just questions [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pictures of the 3DS cartridge taken from NWR : Nintendo World Report?

2. rashef

Member rashef GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    I am taking a wild guess that it has something to do whether a game is Region locked or not.
    (Lock eNAbled with) unless 3DS' codename isn't CTR anymore ;p

3. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    It says LNA-CTR, so maybe you're right.
    LNA is something like DIS in that respect, but what does it mean?

4. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    its a japanese cart
    there is no way that the abriviation is in english
    the other carts are english so the abriviations make sense
    it might be the region code
    ctr is the code name
    my guess is lna is a region code
    only japanese 3ds can play
    or something like that
    remember pal and ntsc region lockouts
    my idea anyway

5. WiKiLEAK
    OP

United States
    First off, Region Codes go at the end of the serial as in : NTR-ACOE-USA, and most of time (if not always) regional releases have the same 6 first letters as in :

WarioWare Touched!

NTR-AZWE-USA
    NTR-AZWP-EUR
    NTR-AZWJ-JPN

or, James Cameron's Avatar - The Game

TWL-VAVE-USA
    TWL-VAVV-EUR
    TWL-VAVJ-JPN

Plus it seems to me that after the first 6 letters each region has its own 7th letter before the region tag, as in E-USA, V-EUR, and J-JPN, but i believe this doesn't hold true because i've seen EUR releases that have a P-EUR as in : Kingdom Hearts Re:coded ( NTR-BK9P-EUR ), plus, the AUStrallian releases tend to be U-AUS or E-AUS, in the latter case sharing the E that is used on the USA/American releases which is odd since AUStrallian releases tend to be on par with EURope releases not USA ones.

Second, those are not abreviations, they are serial numbers, thus it doesn't matter if the cart of the 3DS is in japanese or not.
    By the way, the Japanese Demo carts has a PRE-NTR instead of the DIS-NTR

With and Without the PRE tag ( the ??? means NOT FOR RESALE, meaning they are Demo carts )

[​IMG][​IMG]

In respect to the LNA being a TAG as the DIS one that appear in SOMES of the Demos and Distribution cartridges ... well that would make sense if the 3DS cart show were a Demo, Distro or Preview cart, but it is not, it's the official game cartridge that are selling in japan.

CTR could be the Codename, but again, what is LNA (it is not a region code, as i just explain why), and if CTR is the console Codename, what does it stand for ?

6. Donald Serrot

Member Donald Serrot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    IDK, but the first thing in my head is maybe... something to do with Launch? Launch New A-something?

7. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    I think CTR stands for Choose The Right.

8. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    75% of the technologic stuff in japan is refered to by the english name. And other things too.
    You'd be surprised by the amount of english in japanese products.

9. WiKiLEAK
    OP

United States
    Here's an image of the Super Street Fighter IV : 3D Edition : LNA-CTR-ASSJ-JPN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    So far i can is this :

LNA = ???
    CTR = ConTRol ?
    ASSJ = A? Super Street Japon?
    JPN = JaPoN

10. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I'd say SS is Street Fighter

Edit: HOLY SHIT HOW BAD I DERPED

11. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    More like:

CTR = 3DS' codename (which we don't actually know what it means, it could mean anything - only Ninty knows, for now)
    ASSJ = Internal Gamecode for Street Fighter 3DS. Don't try to search a meaning into it, they could've also used random letters, if they wanted [​IMG] J stands for the region (Japan).
    JPN = Region code

The real mystery here is what's the LNA stands for.

12. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    so theres no corallation super street and assj
    and ridge racer arrj?

13. WiKiLEAK
    OP

United States
    yeah, i know that, i was trying to de-code why SS instead of SF, that's why i put Super Street. Same with Ridge Racer 3D, the 4 letter code is ARRJ, RR standing for Ridge Racer. And the Layton game one ( Layton Kyouju to Kiseki no Kamen )is LAN-CTR-AKKJ-JPN, where the KK portion of the AKKJ could mean Kyouju to Kiseki

Anyway. in Play-Asia website in the Catalog Number of the Product Section the listed it as CTR-ASSJ-JPN without the LNA.
    Plus the 3DS Console is given the CTR at the begining of the serial number.

Cosmo Black : CTR-S-KAAA
    Aqua Blue : CTR-S-BAAA

But, being that the cartridge do have the LNA but they do no mention of it, maybe the console serial number too has the LNA but we won't know it till nintendo reveal it on the suppot page i guess.

Still the question remain, What does CTR stands for ... and ... what the hell is LNA

14. Donald Serrot

Member Donald Serrot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I bet the A stands for the release. That or to be used to separate other games using the same two initials.

For my first theory, I think of the game Hotel Dusk. After it's initial run they re-released it. So let's say they want to re-release Super Street Fighter IV : 3D Edition, then I can see it being LNA-CTR-BSSJ-JPN later.

For the second theory lets say they release a Sesame Street game, and it ends up with a similar coding name... thingy. Just slap a B on there and it's now different.

And I still get the feeling the LNA has to do with launch, just like how there is PRE for the DS.

15. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/article..._3DS_91.JPG.jpg
    CEM ?

16. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    This is easy. LNA is LuNA. Luna being the Latin word for moon.

17. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    LNA: Never seen that part before, possibly related to some semi-unique property of the card. The "Lock eNAbled" hypothesis sounds likely.
    CTR: 3DS codename, what it stands for... who knows, maybe ConTRol is right. 3DS system has CTR-001 as its internal number.
    ASSJ: 4-digit game code, consists of
    A: Target system. For handhelds, this usually starts at A and, when used up, continues with different letters. Wii has a more complex system and uses an R there (or S past-overflow)
    SS: Unique tag of the game. Super Street Fighter
    J: Game region. Japan
    JPN: Sales region: Japan, too.

18. shadowsfm

Newcomer shadowsfm Advanced Member

United States
  19. WiKiLEAK
    OP

United States
    Ok, so we know that CTR is the 3DS codename and game identifier for that console
    That the last 3-letter part of the serial is the Market/Sale Region, in this case JPN for Japan Market/Selling Zone.
    That the 4-letter part of the serial is related to the name of the Game that has it, being the 4th letter the Game Region, ie.: ASSJ meaning = A (alphabet 1st letter) Super Street (Fighter) Japan (Game Region).

But we dont know yet what the hell LNA is or stands for, and so far every game cartridge being sold in Japan has it at the beginning of the Serial Code/Number.

I liked the Lock eNAbled idea, better than the LuNA one

[​IMG]

btw, what the CEM could mean, or why is it part of the console serial number ???

20. hova1

Member hova1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    i also would say that it means Luna = Moon