Homebrew 3DS Flashes Blue Light Then turns off

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBA - I had my 3DS all up and running and now it will only flash a blue light and turn off.

This is what my SD Card set-up looks like - and yes I have a back-up of it all :)

WHat must I do to recover and get this 3DS booting again?

And this is the tut I followed to hack it - I think it's the Luma CFW

https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup.html

EDIT -
I tried to copy over the arm9loader.bin as suggested here to the root of my SD Card, but still flashes blue and powers off

https://gbatemp.net/threads/messed-up-blue-light-turning-on-and-then-off.454336/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,277
Last edited by MikeTheKnight2016,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MikeTheKnight2016
  • Do you hear a popping noise when it turns off?
  • What happens when you try booting it without the SD card?
  • Can you enter Recovery Mode?
If you can't access Recovery Mode or GodMode9, your issue is hardware based either with a bad card reader, disconnected flex cable (or one with broken lead), and if this is an old 2DS/3DS , WiFi module may need to be reseated.

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1-Backup your files.
2-Format your SD card using guiformat. Format it as FAT32 with 32kb cluster size.
3-Test your SD card using h2testw.

If everything is ok with your card, restore your contents and put the latest Luma release (the boot.firm file) in your SD card, replacing the existing one.

SD Card test A-OK.

Should I follow the tut in my OP to basically "start new"?

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
SD Card test A-OK.

Should I follow the tut in my OP to basically "start new"?

No need to do the tutorial again. If you put the Luma boot.firm on the root of your SD card and the 3DS still flashes the blue LED and turns off, it's more than a simple problem, like I was suggesting.

You should follow Turd's instructions now.

@MikeTheKnight2016
  • Do you hear a popping noise when it turns off?
  • What happens when you try booting it without the SD card?
  • Can you enter Recovery Mode?
If you can't access Recovery Mode or GodMode9, your issue is hardware based either with a bad card reader, disconnected flex cable (or one with broken lead), and if this is an old 2DS/3DS , WiFi module may need to be reseated.

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to do the tutorial again. If you put the Luma boot.firm on the root of your SD card and the 3DS still flashes the blue LED and turns off, it's more than a simple problem, like I was suggesting.

You should follow Turd's instructions now.

Where is a good link to get the luma boot.firm from?

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Copying over ONLY the boot.firm file my 3DS boots to the Luma3DS v9.0 configuration page

Should I copy over all of the "old" contents back to the SD Card excluding the boot.firm file?

Al970h2435

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everybody just got to use Nintendo 3DS off eBay, that was missing the boot.firm since no SD card was provided.

It will not boot just the blue light for a second. After extensive troubleshooting a discovered version Luma3d 7.1boot.firm causes a screen to flicker for a quick second.

I took a picture to see what it was. Its the 7.1 configuration screen.

What file am I missing now since the 3ds still turns off.

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_123938_016.jpg
    IMG_20200928_123938_016.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 640
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everybody just got to use Nintendo 3DS off eBay, that was missing the boot.firm since no SD card was provided.

It will not boot just the blue light for a second. After extensive troubleshooting a discovered version Luma3d 7.1boot.firm causes a screen to flicker for a quick second.

I took a picture to see what it was. Its the 7.1 configuration screen.

What file am I missing now since the 3ds still turns off.
Temporarily rename SafeB9SInstaller as the boot.firm, do Updating B9S, and then Finalizing Setup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: