Hacking 3DS flashcart came out and video inside

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
To me, smart companies will only release their cart AFTER the update of the eShop and browser, even if they have managed to hack the 3DS in 3DS mode long ago.

Patience is virtue... huh?
tongue.gif

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, this is in some ways positive and negative, positive for pirates, negative for Nintendo.
Im guessing they will try to stop these flashcarts as much as possible in the start and later on they will just become lazy and maybe release a patch for them once per four-five months.

erothrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This isn't a 3DS flashcart.

It's a DS flash cart, which runs using the DS software. If anything Nintendo probably hardly changed the DS mode protection, they probably just did the same as they do every DSi update.

They haven't hacked the 3DS software yet, just as they didn't hack the DSi software.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
MAN!! and many were saying, give it 6-12 months and the 3ds will be hacked... who knew DS mode was not fixed correctly by nintendo until now
it seems like the ps3 and psp phenomenon whereby they have no choice on the console as the ds mechanism has been compromised which would make nintendo's decision to allow backward compatibility a bad one
or maybe they dont find it too threatening for them as the ds was already hacked and ds is gonna start declining in games and sales
they must have pushed the 3ds security high but not the ds as much

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Rukia-san said:
Costello said:
the Acekard Team has replied to my email saying that they have managed to run the Acekard 2i on the 3DS.
They said they need more testing before they can release anything though.

This is awesome, it is a step toward a 3DS hack.
smile.gif

God! I wasn't expecting something like that to happen so soon tho. Nine. Very Nice
cool.gif
DS mode should be relatively easy to 'hack' on the 3DS.

The main thing though, is 3DS MODE.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CA519705950 said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
AlanJohn said:
Nintedo 3DS- Nintendo's worst anti-piracy secured console ever
Or it's just a trap so Nintendo can start picking off flashcard teams one by one. Nintendo isn't dumb, they know what they are doing and more than likely they left that in there on purpose.
Yeah yeah I totally agree.
I'm also guessing they left 'holes' in the DSi and DSi XL to trap flashcart companies and sue their asses, too.
Oh, wait...
You really think Nintendo would just make the same mistake twice? Nintendo didn't include some features and there's just this random hole in there system. Nintendo is just waiting for flashcard teams to get rid of them in the next update. Nintendo isn't just some new company, they know what they are doing. More than likely Nintendo also has some other plan on their hands like not allowing online play if you don't update or something to force people to have to update.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
AlanJohn said:
Or it's just a trap so Nintendo can start picking off flashcard teams one by one. Nintendo isn't dumb, they know what they are doing and more than likely they left that in there on purpose.
COOL.jpg

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CA519705950 said:
AlanJohn said:
I'm also guessing they left 'holes' in the DSi and DSi XL to trap flashcart companies and sue their asses, too.
Oh, wait...
You really think Nintendo would just make the same mistake twice?
They already did.
Case dismissed.

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS and therefore accepts classic DS carts. The DSi firmware updates have proven to be easily circumvented, keeping in mind it still runs in DS mode. We have yet to see a DSi mode flash linker or for that matter a 3DS flash linker. With this in mind I'm really not all that surprised from the current development. Nintendo's AP goal is to protect 3DS games as they phase out the DS in favor of 3DS as was done with the GBA when the DS was released. I guess only time will tell if/when a new generation of flash linkers for the 3DS will see the light.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CA519705950 said:
CA519705950 said:
AlanJohn said:
Oh, wait...
You really think Nintendo would just make the same mistake twice?
They already did.
Case dismissed.
Their only mistake was using the same firmware on the DSi XL. I doubt this news will last very long.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
AlanJohn said:
AlanJohn said:
COOL.jpg

Pic of the month.

erothrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
flamingo24 said:
The 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS and therefore accepts classic DS carts. The DSi firmware updates have proven to be easily circumvented, keeping in mind it still runs in DS mode. We have yet to see a DSi mode flash linker or for that matter a 3DS flash linker. With this in mind I'm really not all that surprised from the current development. Nintendo's AP goal is to protect 3DS games as they phase out the DS in favor of 3DS as was done with the GBA when the DS was released. I guess only time will tell if/when a new generation of flash linkers for the 3DS will see the light.
Precisely what I was trying to say. They probably barely increased the DS-mode security on the 3DS outside of another update just like they do in the DSi firmware.

You could also look at it like this; if they spent money developing a new security system for DS-mode and then implemented it, they would potentially lose early 3DS sales as people would just stay with the DS system and continue playing pirated DS games on those. Trying to prevent DS game piracy now is a lost cause, so they might as well focus entirely on continuing to protect DSi and 3DS only features and software, so that people buy the system for that and also play their pirated DS games on it.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why are people incapable of reading the thread?
frown.gif

Their only mistake was using the same firmware on the DSi XL. I doubt this news will last very long.
Just like your only mistake is presuming that you know how this works.
The 3DS uses the same protection, but not the same firmware. The reason for that is as follows:
DS games need to be backwards compatible with the DS, so additional protection cannot be added (note the DS is completely wide open)
and for DSiMode, 100% effective anti-piracy protection, which would involve checking everything on boot, would result in very very slow loading times - and doing that partially is easy to circumvent (it's how the first AP method worked, pretty much)

The anti-piracy protection THQ were talking about is on 3DSmode, where the carts can comply with the newly created standard - i.e. this update isn't really that amazing, it's something that I was, and many others were, anticipating.

EDIT: indeed erothrax

fishykipper

pkmn breeder
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
not sure if this has already been posted, theres 11 pages and i dont fancy an epic read right now.

but Nintendo is fully aware what the flashcards teams are up to. which is exactly why a world wide update is scheduled for May. So the teams are working away hard now trying to crack the software, which dont get me wrong is excellent. But they might as well wait for May right? and crack it then, Plus, the video just shows normal NDS games.....! Might as well just stick to a DS right. Can 3DS games even be dumped? have they been dumped yet?

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok wow, who knew that they would be the first team to make their flashcart work on 3DS? This is awesome. It proves that R4iDSN stands out from the other clones. Hell, I don't think it would be right to call it a clone. Only thing I can say is good job.

mrp73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can we please look at the 3DS as 2 complete systems in 1 package. It's a DS & a 3DS in one. Getting the 3DS to play DS Flashcarts is not in my opinion a hack. In fact I think it's a win/win here. I'm sure Nintendo has told its developers that it's biggest efforts are going to be futureproofing their system by concentrating their security efforts on the 3DS side of things. IF they could have beefed up the security for the DS side then it would have already happened on current gen systems. The reason I say win/win is they know that the DS's vulnerabilities would be overcome quickly by flashcart makers. They also realize that by doing so they will sell buttloads more 3DS's to people knowing they can port their cards over. This way they can tell the developers the staggering number of 3DS's sold is more reason to develop 3DS games. I am certain they have already warned all developers that this was likely going to happen to DS mode and happen very quickly.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MeritsAlone said:
Well, this is in some ways positive and negative, positive for pirates, negative for Nintendo.
Im guessing they will try to stop these flashcarts as much as possible in the start and later on they will just become lazy and maybe release a patch for them once per four-five months.
That's a very 2 Dimensional way of thinking (No pun intended). If people can run DSi flashcarts on the 3DS, then they will flock to it. Moreover, if people know DSi flashcarts will work on the 3DS, they will think a 3DS flashcart is soon coming. Because of this, it's actually good for Nintendo as more likely than not going to make more 3DS sales than was originally planned. Moreover, there will be those who realize this isn't true, and will buy DS' to play flashcarts because they can't play them on the 3DS.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
fishykipper said:
not sure if this has already been posted, theres 11 pages and i dont fancy an epic read right now.

but Nintendo is fully aware what the flashcards teams are up to. which is exactly why a world wide update is scheduled for May. So the teams are working away hard now trying to crack the software, which dont get me wrong is excellent. But they might as well wait for May right? and crack it then, Plus, the video just shows normal NDS games.....! Might as well just stick to a DS right. Can 3DS games even be dumped? have they been dumped yet?
Well, I bet they even OWN flashcarts to test if they are working on the OS or not.

If not, how can the dstwo even be blocked??

erothrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mrp73 said:
Can we please look at the 3DS as 2 complete systems in 1 package. It's a DS & a 3DS in one. Getting the 3DS to play DS Flashcarts is not in my opinion a hack. In fact I think it's a win/win here. I'm sure Nintendo has told its developers that it's biggest efforts are going to be futureproofing their system by concentrating their security efforts on the 3DS side of things. IF they could have beefed up the security for the DS side then it would have already happened on current gen systems. The reason I say win/win is they know that the DS's vulnerabilities would be overcome quickly by flashcart makers. They also realize that by doing so they will sell buttloads more 3DS's to people knowing they can port their cards over. This way they can tell the developers the staggering number of 3DS's sold is more reason to develop 3DS games. I am certain they have already warned all developers that this was likely going to happen to DS mode and happen very quickly.
Completely agree, it makes sense that Nintendo would want the majority of people who own the DS to upgrade to the 3DS even if they are using flash carts.

They just have to add in little updates to the firmware like they did to the DSi to "protect" DS mode for the shareholders sake, whilst they are actually focusing the majority of their effort on protecting the 3DS mode and features.

ppowerman5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do u guys remember that there was a NINTENDO 3DS LEAKED out of the factory a couple of weeks ago?Maybe...it was given to the R4DS Team, for a very good price, haha...thats the only way it got broken so fast...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0