Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New 3DS fix !

So I found a new 3ds project, this time the problems listed were

*Parental Lock

*Wont read games

The unit arrived and to be fair it looked in great condition, the screens are perfect and there was little scratches on the top of the unit hardly anything.

There was some sort of dried liquid or food by the analogue pad that easily scraped off, I do wonder why anyone would send out an item to a buyer with dried food on? I personally would feel embarrassed to do something like that.

First off I cleaned the unit with some antibacterial cleaner “not soaked” you got to be careful not to get the liquid getting into the gaps. Then I proceeded to unlock the parental feature, this time the question was “What’s my favourite sports team?” I could not answer this so I proceeded to use the latest 10 digit unlocker that works effortlessly.

Second issue was a little harder I first checked the game slot for any obstructions and I could see strait away that the pins were bent inside from where the previous owner had jammed a cart into the slot very hard.

To fix this issue required me to take the bottom plastics off exposing the aluminium cartridge slot, my first thought were to bend the pins into place but this proves far to difficult due to the aluminium protective case.

The only way to do this was to replace the cartridge slot OR try a manual fix by snipping the aluminium on one side and peeling back to expose the pins.

I decided to go manual fix.

The pins inside were not making contact on all connections some of them were totally bent and stuck in the plastic grooves, this took some time to bend them back into shape.

I tested a game that I had to see if everything worked correctly and the first attempt was a no go. The second attempt worked but only when I applied pressure to the top of the cart, meaning the aluminium case acts to hold the game cartridge down slightly on the pins to make full contact.

The next part was a new step for me… fixing up the snipped aluminium, I managed to bend it back into the original shape then use solder to weld the edges together. As you can see from the photos it does not look great but the game works perfectly albeit with a slight stiffness when trying to eject the cartridge.

In time this took about 2 hours, I have another project coming next week.. J

302903-IMG_20160211_130846.jpg
302904-IMG_20160211_140552.jpg
302905-IMG_20160211_140557.jpg
302906-IMG_20160211_140606.jpg
302907-IMG_20160211_142650.jpg
302908-IMG_20160211_145530.jpg

Hyura

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You wonder why someone would send an item in this condition?

Well, probably because they simply don't care. Bad sellers don't mind if an item is in good condition. I'd be sure to point that out if you got this item on eBay or something like that.

And it doesn't really matter if your fix doesn't look great, it works XD No one will ever see it if they don't open the 3DS.

Do you plan to sell this unit?

tigerfrost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You wonder why someone would send an item in this condition?

Well, probably because they simply don't care. Bad sellers don't mind if an item is in good condition. I'd be sure to point that out if you got this item on eBay or something like that.

And it doesn't really matter if your fix doesn't look great, it works XD No one will ever see it if they don't open the 3DS.

Do you plan to sell this unit?

This 3ds sold with the mention that the game is "sticky" with money off the price.. it was the cheapest working 3ds listed.
Not that i gain much from fixing up stuff its more for learning and fun, besides i would happily refund if someone was not happy with what i sold them.
I know the cartridge slot does not look pretty but it is now functional. :)

Reactions: Queno138

Hyura

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This 3ds sold with the mention that the game is "sticky" with money off the price.. it was the cheapest working 3ds listed.
Not that i gain much from fixing up stuff its more for learning and fun, besides i would happily refund if someone was not happy with what i sold them.
I know the cartridge slot does not look pretty but it is now functional. :)

I would never notice your fix, that's what I meant XD It is covered by the 3DS plastic bottom, right?

And people would rather sell it "sticky" with money off instead of cleaning it? XD

Reactions: tigerfrost

tigerfrost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would never notice your fix, that's what I meant XD It is covered by the 3DS plastic bottom, right?

And people would rather sell it "sticky" with money off instead of cleaning it? XD
Yeh it's all back to normal now with plastics and cover like it should be.
:)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Honestly very very good job in reviving it!
Thanks for reading ! :)

Reactions: Hyura

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1