Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You appear to be bullshitting again.
The 3DS is selling at a PROFIT.
The cost of the entire parts including shipping is less than £65 per unit.
They are selling at a loss compared to the profit they would have got at the higher price.
Facts are beautiful things. Trolls hate beautiful things.

http://www.destructo...ut-207335.phtml

I'll take Bloomberg Japan's word over yours.

EDIT: Also, picture of the day over on that link.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You appear to be bullshitting again.
The 3DS is selling at a PROFIT.
The cost of the entire parts including shipping is less than £65 per unit.
They are selling at a loss compared to the profit they would have got at the higher price.
Facts are beautiful things. Trolls hate beautiful things.

http://www.destructo...ut-207335.phtml

I'll take Bloomberg Japan's word over yours.

EDIT: Also, picture of the day over on that link.
To be fair though (I know, you're not used to that when it comes to Nintendo), that article is about half a year old. Perhaps hardware costs could have gone down?

Also, agree with picture of the day.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair though (I know, you're not used to that when it comes to Nintendo), that article is about half a year old. Perhaps hardware costs could have gone down?

Seems doubtful. Not to mention 3DS profits also probably have to cover marketing and all the other expensives not associated with parts.

EDIT: And if the 3DS was no longer selling on a loss I'm sure a news article would've cropped up on it.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Whether they're selling at a lost or not, the idea for Nintendo would be to recover the losses from the software sales from the now larger user base.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Seems doubtful. Not to mention 3DS profits also probably have to cover marketing and all the other expensives not associated with parts.

EDIT: And if the 3DS was no longer selling on a loss I'm sure a news article would've cropped up on it.
Meh, true. Then again I haven't seen very much marketing for the 3DS lately...unless I just don't pay attention enough :unsure:

Also true, so...meh.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether they're selling at a lost or not, the idea for Nintendo would be to recover the losses from the software sales from the now larger user base.

Well yeah. Sony did the same thing with the PS3 Slim. They sold it at a loss but relied on software and other profitable, related items to cover the gap. The strategy is to essentially pollute (that word sounds negative but I don't mean it in a negative since) the target base with systems so they'll all start buying things that make you money. It's probably a bit easier for a handheld too when you can sell accessories and add ons.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Nintendo themselves have said 3DS will be profitable this year.

Here we go - http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/27/the-nintendo-3ds-will-be-profitable-from-april/

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

From what I remember, this is because of a steady stream of 3DS software titles.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The 3DS meaning everything combined. So that include add ons (COUGH CIRCLE PAD PRO COUGH), software (COUGH SUPER MARIO 3D LAND COUGH), and all their other accessories. Let's not forget about their digital distribution. They can sell all these older games that have since made a profit decades ago for practically pure profit on the eShop. Considering the first half of last year also included the 3DS selling for profit and some noteworthy titles (Star Fox 64 3D, OoT 3D) coming out during then to push the sales a bit, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
umm, did it ever occur to people that *maybe* that wasn't a panic price cut, but a shrewd calculated plan all along? granted, very risky, and a lot of things could go wrong, and a lot did actually. but when it got right, it got very very right.

think of it. the initial overblown price was because Nintendo saw enough hype to cash in on the relatively empty tier of next-gen handheld. but they were able to take that massive price cut because, well, maybe that was the true value all along. and they hurt a lot of early-bird pride by doing that, but i'm feeling that despite some misgivings about it, the Ambassador actually delivered and made up for that, maybe even more. plus now, the 3DS is starting to show some pretty spectacular magic, thanks to Revelations and other top-notch games. it's all shining shimmering splendid now, and it'll only get better with Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts on the way.

also, i've only recently discovered, but now i know for sure why Nintendo have been doing budget specs instead of bleeding edge--it's Reggie's grand scheme. i read about it on his Wikipedia article. so i guess i had been right all along, i just didn't know. he truly is the Regginator. *pats myself on the back*

i hope after WiiU, Nintendo surprises us with holo gaming. i know for a fact that they're toying with the idea since last year (i read somewhere on GameFAQs about how they had an event in Tokyo where they had a holo display set up with Mario running around doing stuff; i sure wanna see that). Holo Battletech would be godly.

I'll just say "you're wrong".

Price cuts come when systems don't sell well. If the 3DS sold well at $250 it would still be $250. Instead it was doing quite poorly so they dropped the price (perhaps in panic) and now it sells well.

You're whole "they did it to rip off early birds" theory is just false in so many ways. First off, Nintendo is selling the 3DS at a loss, and no one wants to sell at a loss unless they need to. They needed to. Second off, if they could sell at a significantly lower price point and still be profitable, they probably would. It'd be more sales in the end most likely and probably more cash.

Also, this whole "Reggie's grand scheme" thing, is it "we don't need fancy hardware since casuals don't care" or "we don't need fancy hardware because our fanbase will buy it regardless"?

As for the rest part with "holo gaming", um, I don't even know what to say.
well... okay. that was mainly assumption anyway, and i did include *maybe*, so thank you for noticing that and not accepting what i said as fact. ^_^

also, they're selling the 3DS at a loss... maybe. but how much of a loss anyways? hasn't it been confirmed already that the actual value of the device is pretty much just a bit under the current sales price? so they gave up on much of the R&D costs, doesn't mean they have to give up on the resource costs as well. besides, it's good business for Nintendo if everyone assumes they're selling at a loss. people WILL underestimate them, as they have, and as they will. and yet... the figures in the end say otherwise to the naysayers. but i suppose they really did panic, what with all the pay cuts that followed the hubbub.

as for Reggie's grand scheme, i already said it's in his wiki article. go on, read it, and interpret it yourself. what i said in my post was my interpretation of it, which closely coincided with what i thought of Nintendo all along. but i think it's more like your first quoted sentence. they don't need fancy hardware since casuals don't care. i mean, i think Reggie prefers making new markets than trying to keep up with bleeding edge. and Reggie obviously doesn't want to keep up with bleeding edge, they're making gamers like their games and hardware because of the entertainment value, not because it can do fancy graphics. and besides, fancy graphics appears to be the norm, and they obviously don't want to be among the norm. as the article says, hardcore fans scoff at their hardware and games. but they succeed anyway.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

The 3DS meaning everything combined. So that include add ons (COUGH CIRCLE PAD PRO COUGH), software (COUGH SUPER MARIO 3D LAND COUGH), and all their other accessories. Let's not forget about their digital distribution. They can sell all these older games that have since made a profit decades ago for practically pure profit on the eShop. Considering the first half of last year also included the 3DS selling for profit and some noteworthy titles (Star Fox 64 3D, OoT 3D) coming out during then to push the sales a bit, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

http://mynintendonew...ble-from-april/

You missed the link on my other post.

I would like to begin with the product profitability of the Nintendo 3DS hardware, which has affected our profit the most for the current fiscal year.”

“Let me first inform you that, in the first half of the next fiscal term, we are now anticipating to get out of the situation that we sell the hardware below cost.”

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
google it yourself. You do HAVE google don't you?

That's how I found my article that proves that you're completely wrong.

You know, talking down to someone only works when you're right.

EDIT: Oh yeah, "lame fanboy sites" like...

http://www.eurogamer...-every-3ds-sold

http://www.gamasutra...ry_3DS_Sold.php

http://www.edge-onli...fter-price-drop

But to top it off, the dedicated Sony lover site...

http://mynintendonew...tendo-3ds-sold/

[yt]RYCT77YNHsk[/yt]

>Me right now.

Reactions: 3 people

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/3ds-hardware-costs-estimated-at-101-per-unit/

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/03/29/nintendo-3ds-manufacturing-cost-over-100-per-unit/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-03-24-cost-of-3ds-parts-estimated-at-under-GBP62

a quick google brings up these posts and about 12 more top posts. Not wasting my time on more but enjoy.

For your information the VITA parts cost £159... I suppose you believe they are selling at a loss too?
just because they want you to think you are buying something worth more than it actually is but getting it at a bargain price. LOL.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
lostdwarf is talking solely about hardware costs i'd imagine, and ignoring R&D, advertising, shipping etc....

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a quick google brings up these posts and about 12 more top posts. Not wasting my time on more but enjoy.

For your information the VITA parts cost £159... I suppose you believe they are selling at a loss too?
just because they want you to think you are buying something worth more than it actually is but getting it at a bargain price. LOL.

Selling at a loss for practically every industry standard means that the costs for the system (including advertising and stuff) outweigh the system's price.

And the Vita is selling at a profit according to Sony themselves.

EDIT: Also...

>News posts occurred during March
>3DS price cut in July

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
well... okay. that was mainly assumption anyway, and i did include *maybe*, so thank you for noticing that and not accepting what i said as fact. ^_^

also, they're selling the 3DS at a loss... maybe. but how much of a loss anyways? hasn't it been confirmed already that the actual value of the device is pretty much just a bit under the current sales price? so they gave up on much of the R&D costs, doesn't mean they have to give up on the resource costs as well. besides, it's good business for Nintendo if everyone assumes they're selling at a loss. people WILL underestimate them, as they have, and as they will. and yet... the figures in the end say otherwise to the naysayers. but i suppose they really did panic, what with all the pay cuts that followed the hubbub.

as for Reggie's grand scheme, i already said it's in his wiki article. go on, read it, and interpret it yourself. what i said in my post was my interpretation of it, which closely coincided with what i thought of Nintendo all along. but i think it's more like your first quoted sentence. they don't need fancy hardware since casuals don't care. i mean, i think Reggie prefers making new markets than trying to keep up with bleeding edge. and Reggie obviously doesn't want to keep up with bleeding edge, they're making gamers like their games and hardware because of the entertainment value, not because it can do fancy graphics. and besides, fancy graphics appears to be the norm, and they obviously don't want to be among the norm. as the article says, hardcore fans scoff at their hardware and games. but they succeed anyway.

You know what I think?
I think that Reggie is just a face for Americans, doing nothing more than being a spokesman and deciding which games will have US releases.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
http://www.industryg...t-101-per-unit/

http://www.itproport...r-100-per-unit/

http://www.gamesindu...-at-under-GBP62

Wow! Look at all those sources from almost a year ago!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...