Hardware 3DS falls asleep when sitting on top of a DS lite!

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So last night, I was playing Super Mario 64 DS on my 3DS. I put it down right on top of my DS lite, and then bam! black screen, followed up by Mario's voice "Buh-bye!" I took it off and then "It's-a me! Mario!". The screens lit up again!
Now first i was thinking that they were wirelessly connecting somehow, and because the DS lite was closed at the time, the 3DS somehow thought it was sleeping too. But now i think my 3DS came across a magnet underneath the DS lite's shell. I read something in the manual that the 3DS falls asleep around magnets.

Still, funny right?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
...it's a magical radiowave-ish electric lullaby for devices.

but we all know that electronic memory all works on the concept of magnetic charges right? so it's probably a fail-safe mechanism to protect memory around strong magnets.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
ferofax said:

but we all know that electronic memory all works on the concept of magnetic charges right? so it's probably a fail-safe mechanism to protect memory around strong magnets.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fcking-magne...ow-do-they-work
lecture.gif

I just had a great idea for a prank. Put a small, but powerful magnet inside a DS game case, then when the victim puts it in, their DS will go into sleep.

In theory it's fine, depends on what needs to be hit on the DS though. I'm not sure if this could possibly ruin the DS though.

omgwtfhax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferofax said:

All of the memory involved here is flash memory, which isn't affected by magnetic fields.
The magnet in the lid of the DS, 3DS, and most modern laptops is there to simply pull a wire in the base of the device. When this wire is pulled up by the magnet, a circuit is formed that tells the device that the lid is closed, so it goes into sleep-mode.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
ferofax said:

What? It's because all of the DS rage use magnets to detect if the lid is closed or open. If you place one DS on to of another, it will detect the magnets from the other device and assume the lid is closed. Nothing magical or 'fail-safe' about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1