Hacking 3DS emulation power

picstruck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If/when the 3DS mode is unlocked to hombrew will the 3DS be powerful enough to emulate PS1 games? Would it be possible to emulate PS1 games with a flashcard like DSTWO if it had a more powerful cpu on the card? Sorry for the dumb question but I don't know much about how emulating works so I'm just wondering if it is something to look forward to in the future.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the PSP can emulate PS1 so....... i guess 3DS can too
psx emulation is done through Sony's emulator (used on psn downloaded classics titles). I believe it is possible if the 3ds is as powerful as the psp, but I don't think it'll be so soon after the 3ds is hacked, since devs will have to create an emulator from scratch.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Iirc the DSTwo can allready emulate PS1 games.
At least I've read something about porting Dingux to the DSTwo.

Dingux has a working PS1 emulator.

As for the 3DS.
Just be patient and wait for it to be hacked.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my number one dream wish project for the 3ds as far as homebrew and emulators are concerned , would be a triforce arcade emulatror
just so i could finally play the mariokart arcade game i never got to play , i think its made by namco , also im not sure which other games they has that run on that chipset

i just know that i tried to find an emulator and mario kart rom for thin online and it is impossible, i forget if i could find the emulator or not, but i know the rom is impossible to find

too bad this thing would be bad ass on the 3ds ,and it has the camera to support the face shots too

D

Deleted-236924

The DSTwo could run anything if we were able to fit in a good enough processor and other parts needed.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo could run anything if we were able to fit in a good enough processor and other parts needed.

With an (almost) word-for-word sentence of that same concept I could hypothetically say :

An R4 could run PS3 games if we were able to fit in a good enough processor and other parts needed =/

Technically you are right but the SCDS2 was barely able to fit enough for processing GBA, and I'm pretty sure GBA uses much less processing power than PS1.

Maybe PS1 could run at 2-3/4 speed IF the system is hacked in a way like the Wii, but unfortunately Nintendo got a lot smarter with the easiest methods of hacking.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Technically you are right but the SCDS2 was barely able to fit enough for processing GBA, and I'm pretty sure GBA uses much less processing power than PS1.

The PS1 may have double the CPU frequency than the GBA, but there is one important fact not being addressed. The SCDS2's CPU architecture is MIPS-based, which is also the CPU architecture that the PS1 uses. Similar architectures make for less emulation requirements.

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
If and when the 3ds will be hacked, I guess the the libnds will write an ARM11 lib to add 3ds to the target consoles available.
After that, every homebrew for the ds could be compiled to the 3ds.
It might be added to libogc (Gamecube, Wii) instead and then we could have more powerful homebrew.
So old code can be used and probably will...(like all the ports of emulators on wiibrew).

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If and when the 3ds will be hacked, I guess the the libnds will write an ARM11 lib to add 3ds to the target consoles available.
After that, every homebrew for the ds could be compiled to the 3ds.
It might be added to libogc (Gamecube, Wii) instead and then we could have more powerful homebrew.
So old code can be used and probably will...(like all the ports of emulators on wiibrew).
I somehow don't think the 3DS can emulate a Gamecube or Wii.

CortalRage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think about it, wasn't it said the 3ds had similar power to the wii, if not better? And the wii was capable of emulating ps1 effectivly (I only ran into a few games with snags) so the 3ds, power wise, should be able to. The only problem is the hacking itself, and of course, getting it to work ported on the system (ammount of buttons) The new addon with l2 and r2 thats coming out may make it possible, but we will have to see if the coders can get it to work ^^

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I somehow don't think the 3DS can emulate a Gamecube or Wii.
Pretty sure this is in regards to homebrew written for GC and Wii being ported over to the 3DS. That would most likely be feasible if the proper steps were taken to get homebrew to work on 3DS
do you have a link?
There was a thread in the Supercard section about porting Linux (and in turn, Dingux) to the DSTWO. It has already been ported to the iSmart MM i believe, and the DSTWO has similar but more powerful hardware from what i've heard. Here's the thread-
http://gbatemp.net/t...x-on-the-dstwo/

As of the thread's creation, Team Supercard finally released a newer and complete SDK, enough to port Linux to the DSTWO and get things cracking (if and when someone decides to port Linux anyways).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16