Hardware 3DS doesn't charge (fuses and charging port seem to be ok)

munnimann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello guys! I live in Germany and own a fully functional o3DS XL. For my friend I bought an o3DS XL on ebay labelled defective since it wouldn't turn on. When it arrived we simply changed the battery with my charged one and it worked again. Only then we noticed that it is an american 3DS. The battery, although a chinese replacement, does charge when plugged into my working 3DS, so no problems here. We couldn't get the american 3DS to charge though. The charging light doesn't turn on at all. We already swapped the charging port with a new one and I checked the connectivity between the charging port and the contacts for the battery. Everything is just like on the working 3DS. But still no charging, even though current is able to flow between the charging port and the battery. After some research, I found that one or both of two fuses F1 and F2 on the motherboard could be faulty. So I checked continuity of these fuses specifically and both are fine. Now my only idea left of what could be wrong, is that my european charger doesn't work with the american 3DS. There are several threads of people complaining that their US charger doesn't charge the 3DS without voltage converter. But that doesn't apply in my situation, since I already have a european charger. Is there any hope that an USB charger will work? We already spent enough money on this and I don't want to invest even more for no gain at all. Or does anyone have another idea of what's wrong?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
munnimann

_112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well first I would talk to the seller and see how it was "defective", it might also be the charger as you said. Since most countries use between 220 and 240 volts and US uses between 100 and 127 volts

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I just want to make it clear: There is no difference between what an American charger outputs and what a European one outputs. the only difference is the input voltage, output is exactly the same.

munnimann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for answering!

@Dr_Doom: I should have mentioned it, the seller wasn't the original owner of the 3DS, but a random German junk dealer. He didn't investigate in the matter, only saw that it doesn't turn on (since, as we presumed, the battery went dry) and labelled it defective.

@Barawer: That's what I feared, but I thought, I better ask someone who knows.

Could it be somehow a software related problem? In this regard, we already formatted the system, and went through the whole a9lh installing process.

Pic

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I update this post because I had the same problem and I found the solution on a french forum. It seems that a lot of 2ds and 3ds motherboard break between the charging port and the F1 fuse after dropping it down. What you need to do in this case is to test if the power goes well from the n°1 pin of the charging port and the F1 fuse. You can test with a multimeter in ohm meter or continuity. If you have nothing it means the motherboard circuit is broken at this point. The solution is to solder a wire from the n°1 pin of the charging port to the entrance of F1 fuse. (I cannot give any links or picture because I'm a new member. Oh the irony...)

Reactions: salmi01

vastrolorde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I update this post because I had the same problem and I found the solution on a french forum. It seems that a lot of 2ds and 3ds motherboard break between the charging port and the F1 fuse after dropping it down. What you need to do in this case is to test if the power goes well from the n°1 pin of the charging port and the F1 fuse. You can test with a multimeter in ohm meter or continuity. If you have nothing it means the motherboard circuit is broken at this point. The solution is to solder a wire from the n°1 pin of the charging port to the entrance of F1 fuse. (I cannot give any links or picture because I'm a new member. Oh the irony...)

Can you post a picture on how to do these? im having the same issue with my OLD 3ds . fuses are good. as per checking continuity, charging post already replaced thinking that was the issue. but still battery is not charging. only have orange light charging indicator. but the battery doesnt charge. thanks for helping.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you post a picture on how to do these? im having the same issue with my OLD 3ds . fuses are good. as per checking continuity, charging post already replaced thinking that was the issue. but still battery is not charging. only have orange light charging indicator. but the battery doesnt charge. thanks for helping.

With the AC adapter plugged in, does your O3DS turns on and plays but turns off the moment you unplug the charger?

If this happens, your issue is probably a dead battery that won't maintain a charge.

Replacement battery for Old 3DS:
If you've already troubleshooted with a known working test battery, here's ifixit repair and disassembly guide.
Youtube video that briefly goes over the microfuses with picture slides.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans