Hardware 3DS DOES have a Pressure Sensitive Screen

TankTan38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure this is already known, but the 3DS has a pressure sensitive screen. The only place that I can find it in use is in the keyboard toy in Nintendogs + Cats. It is quite cool, actually.

Here is a video I made that proves it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxsCiwYv7ZQ[/youtube]

Habstinat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying the 3DS doesn't have a pressure sensitive screen, but just because the piano plays louder when you tap harder doesn't necessarily prove it. The iPad, which has been proven not to have a pressure sensitive screen, still can sense whether you play piano keys in GarageBand harder or softer; see http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/garageband.html (look towards the beginning of the video). I'm pretty sure it can be roughly calculated using some algorithm, as they did in GarageBand and could have done in Nintendogs.

anime999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doesn't the DS lite have a pressure sensitive screen? I mean in the homebrew app "Colors" you could set for it so that exerting more pressure made the brush stroke wider. If the DS lite had it I don't see why the 3DS wouldn't.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Apk07

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the idea is that as you press harder it makes contact with more of the board underneath... so its not as much pressure sensitive as it is area-sensitive, but it has the same outcome.
Imagine touching the corner of a sponge to a piece of glass, and then pushing harder so it squishes a larger area of sponge onto the glass.

I could be wrong, but that's my theory. I don't know if it'd work the same for an iPad, because the iPad has a capacitive screen while the DS/3DS have resistive screens, which respond to pressure to work anyway.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
"I'm not saying the 3DS doesn't have a pressure sensitive screen, but just because the piano plays louder when you tap harder doesn't necessarily prove it. The iPad, which has been proven not to have a pressure sensitive screen, still can sense whether you play piano keys in GarageBand harder or softer; see http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/garageband.html (look towards the beginning of the video). I'm pretty sure it can be roughly calculated using some algorithm, as they did in GarageBand and could have done in Nintendogs. "

no.

3DS, DSlite DSi and DS all have RESISTIVE touch screens.
more pressure equals more resistance, which is measurable. Every DS has these screens. The 3DS screens are also higher resolution meaning that you can measure the resistance more accurately as the resistive layer is resolution dependant.
Resistive screens are the ONLY way to have a pressure sensitivety. (unless the pen registers pressure like a drawing tablet)

Capacitive screens (like smartphones, ipad, NGP) measure the surface area of finger/thumb in contact with the screen. If finger/thumb is pressed hard onto screen, a larger area of skin makes contact and this is guessed as a hard press. Capacitive screens cannot measure accurately pressure of any kind. They know if they have been touched, and the rest is guess work down to good programming.

Reactions: gurgleburble

Quanno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The DSi was the only one without pressure sensitivity, right?

Also, the only thing I can remember that used it was the Color! homebrew app
dry.gif

CherrySkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The DSi was the only one without pressure sensitivity, right?

Also, the only thing I can remember that used it was the Color! homebrew app

Lazy/Non-creative programmers? =O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Are you going to bake yourself a cake?